no choice with those jars
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Just to make sure....this will work with the black ice pie jars, right? Beads are beads and all?
    No. I don't think they are the same. I think Dustin would agree with me. But he may not have realized exactly what product you were referring to when he answered your question.

The black ice (if i'm not mistaken) is a type of gel (jelly-like) substance that absorbs liquid and swells up. Beads (Heartfelt Beads) are hard and made from silica sand. Silica kitty litter (unscented) can be used as a substitute for beads and is also made from silica sand.
    Hmm....OK. I just looked. They are neither! Not beads...but not really Gel. Think this will work for me?

I'm pretty sure the instructions tell you to add water. You add water and they expand, then it's a gel. That photo shows the dehydrated form. that way they don’t have to ship the extra weight of the hydrated gel. Do you have them already? They don't work in the same manner as silica beads or silica KL. However, they are designed to humidify cigars. I think JD posted a thread where he over watered his black ice and they overflowed the little pie shaped containers. If you want to try it I can send you a some of the kitty litter I'm using. How big is the humi? Or is it a cooler?
    this is funny! Really add water?! So you don't spray your beads?! Seasoning a humi and keeping the rh are 2 different things!! Once the humidor gets up too a good rh you stabilize it. I laugh at the matter if anyone doesn't use kl people jump on them! And if you use boveda people jump on them...really it's what you are comeftorable using. For me it's boveda since it takes up little space compared too pounds of kl. but I are some crazy followers that i guess never add water too the kl?! Seriously people this is sad!! Yup some beads need water and pg solution and I'm sure kl wil at some point. So you kl *** I'm good I can afford boveda since my cigar stash is worth the money! I've spent a lot of money on cigars...and if you spent a lot of money on a car would you buy the cheap gas?! And yes I'm a ase certified mechanic. No your engine knocks and you burn out your engine. So really is spending money that bad?!?!?! You tell me

• Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Just to make sure....this will work with the black ice pie jars, right? Beads are beads and all?
    No. I don't think they are the same. I think Dustin would agree with me. But he may not have realized exactly what product you were referring to when he answered your question.

The black ice (if i'm not mistaken) is a type of gel (jelly-like) substance that absorbs liquid and swells up. Beads (Heartfelt Beads) are hard and made from silica sand. Silica kitty litter (unscented) can be used as a substitute for beads and is also made from silica sand.
    Hmm....OK. I just looked. They are neither! Not beads...but not really Gel. Think this will work for me?

If you get these they come with no instructions. Take the top off and add an inch of water if you get the large size. About 1/3 if you get the small. Let them sit for a couple of hours before adding more water. When I first got these I did not wait long enough and the tops popped off. It was fairly amusing. They are the same as the gel beads. Just in a different form. Super absorbent polymer. Use distilled water the first time then about every third time use a 50/50 solution of pg. SAPs like foam can mold. Using the 50/50 helps prevent that. I use them in my desktop as they fit in the corners. They stay at 67%.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    bump
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Bump
  • Options
    Dear Catfish,

Had a quick question. Was looking at the Diamond Crown Humi System and the Paradigm Humi system because I'm lazy and basically just want to refill my humidification device one every three months or so. Will these work as well as the kitty litter/beads, and what are the pro's and cons to each deal. Also, if you do indeed end up recommending the beads what kind of water bottle do you use, and if you have a bead tube and you spritz the beads does that make it to the bottom beads, not sure how by spritzing it all the beads get refilled. thanks a million
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Smokeaholic82:
    Dear Catfish, Had a quick question. Was looking at the Diamond Crown Humi System and the Paradigm Humi system because I'm lazy and basically just want to refill my humidification device one every three months or so. Will these work as well as the kitty litter/beads, and what are the pro's and cons to each deal. Also, if you do indeed end up recommending the beads what kind of water bottle do you use, and if you have a bead tube and you spritz the beads does that make it to the bottom beads, not sure how by spritzing it all the beads get refilled. thanks a million
    Well to be honest, I only refill my beads every other month or so, and they cost less then $20...Exquisicat. No idea if these electric devices will work as well, as I do not own them. What I can tell you, is anyone whom uses Kitty Litter will speak volumes of it's stability. As for water bottle, I just bought a spray bottle at the store, or I just pour some water on them. It's not rocket science really, and I do not think all the beads need to get refilled or even get filled for that matter.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Smokeaholic82:
    Dear Catfish, Had a quick question. Was looking at the Diamond Crown Humi System and the Paradigm Humi system because I'm lazy and basically just want to refill my humidification device one every three months or so. Will these work as well as the kitty litter/beads, and what are the pro's and cons to each deal. Also, if you do indeed end up recommending the beads what kind of water bottle do you use, and if you have a bead tube and you spritz the beads does that make it to the bottom beads, not sure how by spritzing it all the beads get refilled. thanks a million
    Well to be honest, I only refill my beads every other month or so, and they cost less then $20...Exquisicat. No idea if these electric devices will work as well, as I do not own them. What I can tell you, is anyone whom uses Kitty Litter will speak volumes of it's stability. As for water bottle, I just bought a spray bottle at the store, or I just pour some water on them. It's not rocket science really, and I do not think all the beads need to get refilled or even get filled for that matter.
    Yup, just spray the beads sparingly. Do not need to dampen all or even most. Nozzle up to beads, spray a few times, done! I haven't used either of the other humidification devices you mentioned either.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Absolutely fantastic thread. Many thanks for starting the thread and to all of those who contributed. Very educational.

Quick question. I have just punted my Cigar Oasis as I suspect it was causing the beginning of a mold issue. I noticed some of my cigars had light mold. (A small amount of white spots and it wasn't Plume - trust me I checked)

I would have used KL but before I discovered this thread I had already ordered the Cigar Sciences beads. As I await their arrival, I have stored my cigars in a sealed packs that you get when buying individual sticks and put them away. I have used a vacuum with a brush and wiped down the internal walls of my Daniel Marshall humidor. You could visibly see the spanish cedar go lighter in colour as I did this. I wanted to ensure no mold spores survived. I left my lid open for a day.

I have now put a bowl with a sponge filled with DW. My RH was not low to begin with so I plan to do it for only a couple days. I will then add the Cigar Science beads but my question is, should I not put any water on them and just let them sit with the sponge for a day?

Any ideas/opinions?
  • Options
    soutso:
    Absolutely fantastic thread. Many thanks for starting the thread and to all of those who contributed. Very educational.

Quick question. I have just punted my Cigar Oasis as I suspect it was causing the beginning of a mold issue. I noticed some of my cigars had light mold. (A small amount of white spots and it wasn't Plume - trust me I checked)

I would have used KL but before I discovered this thread I had already ordered the Cigar Sciences beads. As I await their arrival, I have stored my cigars in a sealed packs that you get when buying individual sticks and put them away. I have used a vacuum with a brush and wiped down the internal walls of my Daniel Marshall humidor. You could visibly see the spanish cedar go lighter in colour as I did this. I wanted to ensure no mold spores survived. I left my lid open for a day.

I have now put a bowl with a sponge filled with DW. My RH was not low to begin with so I plan to do it for only a couple days. I will then add the Cigar Science beads but my question is, should I not put any water on them and just let them sit with the sponge for a day?

Any ideas/opinions?
    If you want to get technical, you could put them in a bag with a hygro, and see what their resting rh is. If it is very low, as in 10rh, then yeah add water. If not, let them absorb the excess rh from the sponge and stabilize slowly in the humidor for at least 24 hours.
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    Catfish, when you don't wipe, don't things get a little crusty, down there?
  • Options
    Great thread! Thanks for all your info! I have a question or 2 for ya...

I'm looking to get a 100ct humi. Is this method only good for larger humidors or will this work for me also? And how do you store the KL in the humi? Thanks again!!
  • Options
    cubbychubby:
    Catfish, when you don't wipe, don't things get a little crusty, down there?
    vitamin a&d bro...
  • Options
    ejasenovic:

I'm looking to get a 100ct humi. Is this method only good for larger humidors or will this work for me also? And how do you store the KL in the humi? Thanks again!!
    yea it will work for any size humidor. Most people use Tupperware, dishes, cups, small boxes, or nylons to hold the kl. I have them in a nylon, and the cedar divider keeps them from the cigars.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I have found if I buy a 100 count, I need a 500 count..oh screw it I just need to buy massive cooler and be done with it!
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    ejasenovic:

yea it will work for any size humidor. Most people use Tupperware, dishes, cups, small boxes, or nylons to hold the kl. I have them in a nylon, and the cedar divider keeps them from the cigars.

When you say you have them in a nylon...a nylon what?
  • Options
    ejasenovic:
    catfishbluezz:
    ejasenovic:

When you say you have them in a nylon...a nylon what?
    a woman's nylon
  • Options
    BPGuyBPGuy Posts: 7
    I can hardly believe it, but I just read this entire thread, every single post, all 16 pages. This is extremely useful and informational, thanks to all who have created it and participated.
  • Options
    Excellent, welcome brother
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    Thank you Catfish, after following your instructions on how to set up a humidor i finally got it up and at a constant 65% using beads. right before finals week so i can order cigars and enjoy them during the summer.
  • Options
    Perfect, pm me your addy
  • Options
    Bumping this for mcpete, he's having some trouble. Since I just won a humidor last night and a 70rh gel jar, I will use them. So this is day one, just put the sponge in, placed it on foil, and soaked it with enough distiller water that the sponge overflows a tad. I put a hygro in, will check it tomorrow. image
  • Options
  • Options
    Last night the humi was in the mid 80's, so I put in a Boveda pack, with the sponge, which should act just like beads, as it can regulate humidity both ways.

This morning it was 74, so the 65rh boveda pack pulled it down, and I will pull the sponge to let it stabilize for the next few days.

• Options
    down to 70rh tonight, I will let it sit a few days and settle, then add cigars
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's great that you are posting these steps to "the process" using a small desktop. This will help a lot of newbies get a good, close up look at what they should be doing to get started the "right way" with their first humidor :)
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I think it's great that you are posting these steps to "the process" using a small desktop. This will help a lot of newbies get a good, close up look at what they should be doing to get started the "right way" with their first humidor :)
    yeah that's why I did it, I won this in a contest, and will use it for reviewing samples. One can never have enough humi's!
  • Options
    So we are on day 6, rh has now dropped to 66 with a large 65 boveda pack. I went ahead and put cigars in today that have been stored in a stable environment. If for some reason rh drops below 60 in a few hours, ten I probably need to wait a few more days and possibly add the sponge back. This is day 6 or 7 I think, and it has been pretty stable and dropping to the 65rh pack. If I have to add a few Smaller boveda later I will, but ultimately once it is stable one boveda should be good. imageimage
  • Options
    Back to 66 a few hours later, my guess is this will be stable image
  • Options
    bump for dmc