Home General Discussion

Cigar Aficionado's 2012 cigar of the year

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/cigars/top25detail/year/2012/rank/1

Flor de las Antillas Toro

I have not tried this one yet, but just ordered a couple of 5 packs.  Can anyone share their thoughts on this cigar who have had the chance to try it?

thanks

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Okay, this has left my head scratching, scratching, scratching.

Now, I love MFs in general. The 1,2,3s are fantastic. Even the LE 2012s I got are extremely fine. I wasn't as blown away by the Bijous, but they're quite good.

But I got a fiver of the Flor de las Antilles Robustos two few weeks ago. Based on the one I tried, this one doesn't do it for me at all. Far less flavorful, strong and spicey than the regular MFs. What am I missing here?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    LOL...I knew it.... I guessed that as a possible one yesterday, as we were strolling through the dec CA and looking at who spends the advert dollars and hasn't got a number one yet. Congrats to DPG, he's great and deserves accolade, but this is just like last year. Politically motivated IMO.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a couple Flor de las Antilles, it's been a few months though --- pretty good smoke, pretty consistent flavors from start to finish (if I remember correctly.) Wood, creamy, and pepper notes.

IMHO - it was good because it was consistent.

Was it the best cigar I smoked all year? No.
    Was it the cigar with the most interesting, or complex flavors I smoked? No.
    Would I have it at #1? No ----- but then again I don't agree with most of their list.

But it's certainly a good, well-constructed, consistent cigar.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree partially with everyone here. Yes its political, yes its not the most complex cigar ever (who knows what is really), ect. However, I think Im ok with this pick. I like when its not a Cuban or 25 dollar stick I must admit and I think this was a great stick and a departure in taste in a lot of ways from DPG usual stuff. I talked about it a while here and it is probably my favorite new stick of the year. I liked the revolution as well (by TeAmo), but this was better and stood out os different to me in some way. Firest time Ive ever had a cigar I really like make it to #1. Casa Magna was close...Padron was ok...and Prensado I wouldnt give 3 bucks for-----so this was a nice suprise to me.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    LOL...I knew it.... I guessed that as a possible one yesterday, as we were strolling through the dec CA and looking at who spends the advert dollars and hasn't got a number one yet. Congrats to DPG, he's great and deserves accolade, but this is just like last year. Politically motivated IMO.
    shouldn't there be some kinda warning on the newbie welcoming thread. "dont talk about Top 25" wont make that mistake again.
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    shouldn't there be some kinda warning on the newbie welcoming thread. "dont talk about Top 25" wont make that mistake again.
    its all good dude, everyone looks at these when you start, then you realize there is so much more out there and that politics and advertising runs the show. I love dpg's stuff, always have. But from an objective standpoint, I've had two of these and didnt finish either. They weren't terrible, but they weren't amazing either. It's comical really, and they make cigars better then that. However, it seems CA tends to give everyone a number one sooner or later and DPG is a notable blender. It would just be nice to see a top 10 based on objectivity. Taste is subjective, but quality is not.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    hahaha, no way man, no mistakes made, the CA Top 25 is always a good conversation starter, even though there are some head scratchers on there, and honestly I usually stumble accross a few I've never heard of and do some research on . . . . like the Nat Sherman. Going to have to look that one up. So thanks starting the conversation man.
    Vulchor:
    I agree partially with everyone here. Yes its political, yes its not the most complex cigar ever (who knows what is really), ect. However, I think Im ok with this pick. I like when its not a Cuban or 25 dollar stick I must admit and I think this was a great stick and a departure in taste in a lot of ways from DPG usual stuff. I talked about it a while here and it is probably my favorite new stick of the year. I liked the revolution as well (by TeAmo), but this was better and stood out os different to me in some way. Firest time Ive ever had a cigar I really like make it to #1. Casa Magna was close...Padron was ok...and Prensado I wouldnt give 3 bucks for-----so this was a nice suprise to me.
    I actually agree with virtually everything here, and couldn't have said it better myself, Vulchor.

Except for the prensado part. While I wouldn't have even ranked it in my top 25 i was pleasantly suprised with it when I had the corona. WAY more flavor than I was expecting, and it was a solid stick. #1, no way, but still solid.

As for this year, I'm right there with you man . . . the MF Flor De Antilles is a real tasty cigar, I wouldn't rank it #1 but like you, I'm ok with this as the pick as well. I'm sure there's some politics going on with these lists, like always but they settled on a real nice cigar, thats easily found, at reasonable prices, from my favorite blender, so I can't argue with that. Although this will probably drive up the price on these . . . . .
    Yeah Boyd, I feel sorry for the guys that like these. I know plenty of guys around here love them.
    catfishbluezz:
    Yeah Boyd, I feel sorry for the guys that like these. I know plenty of guys around here love them.
    Seriously, man. It seemed to happen a week or so after the ratings last year, when demand probably tripled on the prensados and everyone sold out . . . even the bid prices got pretty silly.
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    I have never smoked any of these. I do believe the Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown looks mighty tasty.
    *Petey*:
    catfishbluezz:
    Seriously, man. It seemed to happen a week or so after the ratings last year, when demand probably tripled on the prensados and everyone sold out . . . even the bid prices got pretty silly.
    an the quality went to crap... The one good thing about this, is the capital for DPG will be insane and you know they will keep putting out great products.
    biodarwin:
    I have never smoked any of these. I do believe the Arturo Fuente Rosado Sungrown looks mighty tasty.
    they are a little spicy at first, an like many fuente blends benefit from age. It's the only fuente I like.
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    its all good dude, everyone looks at these when you start, then you realize there is so much more out there and that politics and advertising runs the show. I love dpg's stuff, always have. But from an objective standpoint, I've had two of these and didnt finish either. They weren't terrible, but they weren't amazing either. It's comical really, and they make cigars better then that. However, it seems CA tends to give everyone a number one sooner or later and DPG is a notable blender. It would just be nice to see a top 10 based on objectivity. Taste is subjective, but quality is not.
    I always thought they were unbanded. I guess a DPG looks, smells and tastes like a DPG, but can they really pick out exactly what is what, or is the whole damn thing a croc o $hit.
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I always thought they were unbanded. I guess a DPG looks, smells and tastes like a DPG, but can they really pick out exactly what is what, or is the whole damn thing a croc o $hit.
    thats what they say, but really, anyone who smokes a ton, and those guy do, know what's going on. I mean...if you out an unbanded ISOM, DPG, Henke, fuente, oliva v, and undercrown in front of me, I'd be able to identify all of them. So I can't see how this is objective really. It has nothing to do with my tastes, those guys aren't objective and it's obvious.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    The ratings do work for the industry for certain. #1 is sold out already here and at other sites. I picked up a 5'er myself since I haven't tried them yet and I really liked last years #1.(don't know if it really made a big difference but I had purchased those prensados before the ratings came out)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for pepin!! Although I'm not going to go out and buy this stick he's been in the game long enough now so I'm happy for him
    Money can't buy taste
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Not that my opinion matters, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the Flor de las Antillas as #1 than I was with the AB Prensado.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    For the record, it looks like 4 of the members of this forum also voted it #1. Good call guys! http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/603635/ShowThread.aspx
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    Not that my opinion matters, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the Flor de las Antillas as #1 than I was with the AB Prensado.
    Lmao not that I've had it but I have had the prensado...and yeah I'd probably take anything dpg befor AB
    Money can't buy taste
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Anyone smoke these fresh vs aged? I'm a big fan of their My Father and My Father Le Bejou once they've aged in my humi for a yr or so, not so much when they're fresh (too spicy ROTT, IMO)
    xmacro:
    Anyone smoke these fresh vs aged? I'm a big fan of their My Father and My Father Le Bejou once they've aged in my humi for a yr or so, not so much when they're fresh (too spicy ROTT, IMO)
    well, I like MF1, blue lancero, JJ, and cabaiguan aged a year. This one did not do much for me. I was surprised really as I like it when DPG goes the mellow route. I can't say I aged mine that long, but at least 6 months. I don't think it's a blend that needs much age though. I know Doc loves them, I'd hit him up for his opnion.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    But I got a fiver of the Flor de las Antilles Robustos two few weeks ago. Based on the one I tried, this one doesn't do it for me at all. Far less flavorful, strong and spicey than the regular MFs. What am I missing here?
    just because a cigar is full in body and spice does not mean it is good. what you are "missing" is an appreciation for cigars that arent spicy and strong. those two qualities do not define "good" in the cigar business.
    they do define "what is in style"
    not that there is anything wrong with those qualities either. everyone has different tastes.

it took me many a year to appreciate a mild or medium cigar. but now that i have, that is what i smoke 75% of the time.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Great point, Kuzi. Over the past few years, I've learned to appreciate the subtleties that some cigars have.

The Perdomo Edicion de Silvio is a great example of how a super-premium can be less-than-full, yet has a mind-boggling flavor profile and level of complexity.

Back in 2006-ish, I would smoke Cubans just because they were Cubans and they were available.
    Now I smoke them and have a greater appreciation for their layers of subtle flavors.

Although a peek into my humidors still shows a larger percentage of spicier, full-bodied smokes.
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    I have smoked several of these this summer and I like them. I like DPG in general as well and while I haven't smoked a ton of different cigars I don't think it is the best of 2012. Since this came up as #1 I decided to revisit and am smoking one right now. It is good but not the greatest.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I am pleased with this vote, I think Jaime and DPG did a great job blending this stick. I have enjoyed about 3 of these and are aging 2 more. I agree with Kuzi strong and spicey doesn't always have to be the blend, but these aren't air wafers either. It to me is a good medium bodied stick. Good job CA.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    #1 is the only thing on this list I agree with.

• puffmasterpuffmaster Posts: 254 ✭✭
    ok just throwing in my opinion but the best cigar in the last two years had to be IMO the oval or any san lotano for that matter. Now the prensado was good and have not smoked this mf yet but again my opinion aj didnt make the top 25 last year and looking like hes gonna be out of it this year. And there is no way they thought the romeo #3 was better then a padron. Just shows altadis ad dollars IMO. sry fo the rant

#DE4L #StillPuffin

puffmaster:
    ok just throwing in my opinion but the best cigar in the last two years had to be IMO the oval or any san lotano for that matter. Now the prensado was good and have not smoked this mf yet but again my opinion aj didnt make the top 25 last year and looking like hes gonna be out of it this year. And there is no way they thought the romeo #3 was better then a padron. Just shows altadis ad dollars IMO. sry fo the rant
    san lotano connie made the top 5 at cigar journal.
  • puffmasterpuffmaster Posts: 254 ✭✭
    They have made other lists just not CA

#DE4L #StillPuffin