Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The fishing thread

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else throwing big swim baits /glide baits?

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, not that big
    What are you targeting?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

@Diver43 said:
    Dang, not that big
    What are you targeting?

LOL. Large Mouth
    There are people out here who throw bigger baits than this (8" Huddleston Trout)

• Options

That is huge, but now that I think of it, people fish with Shiners that size and larger on Okeechobee.
    I use the 1 inch storm baits with decent results. A Senko in Junebug is my go to bait in the Everglades though.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@Diver43 said:
    Do we have any fly fisherman on the forum?

I've been tying and fishing flys for about 40 years. I ty all my own. Best day I had fishing for trout I lost count at 19 including a 22 inch Rainbow I was using a 9' 7 weight. All on a modified Pheasant Tail # 16. Sat in my kayak and smoked post hatch robusto.
    Biggest fish I caught was a male 35lb Dolphin not on a fly but on a rigged ballyhoo, steel leader and a 60lb test handline while working on a boat out of St. Croix.
    This spring I will fish bluegills with a 6' 3 weight and trout with a 7' 6" 4-5 weight.

• Options

Wish you were closer. I sure could use some pointers.

I was doing OK when my reel busted. Now 15 years later trying it again

• Options

If I was closer you could show me some saltwater fishing.
    The beauty of fly fishing is that there is always something to learn and you never completely master it. It is always new. If you tie flys the tying bench is a great place to rest your cigar between fooling with feathers and fur.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    The beauty of fly fishing is that there is always something to learn and you never completely master it. It is always new. If you tie flys the tying bench is a great place to rest your cigar between fooling with feathers and fur.

Tie flys? Heck I had to google the right knots to use for what. I need to figure out how to cast further

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Diver43 said:

@First_Warrior said:

Tie flys? Heck I had to google the right knots to use for what. I need to figure out how to cast further

All a fly rod is a glorified cane pole. Learn to roll cast first. A good double taper floating fly line and tapered leader will make learning easier.

• Options

Have a 6 Wt 9 ft rod, Weight forward line with a 9 ft tapered leader and a couple ft of tippet

• Options

The main thing about casting a fly line is not to flex your casting wrist to much. You are casting the line not the fly. Roll cast some line out in front. Pick up the line with the rod moving to about 3 o'clock and stop. Feel the line loading the rod first and then push your casting hand to 9 o'clock and stop without flexing your wrist and let some line shoot out at the same time.You are looking for a vertical loop in the line. Tie a small piece of red or white yarn to the end of your tippet and practice out on the yard. Have fun.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I've been looking for a reasonable 4wt for pan fish when wading in creeks. Got a cousin that provides the flies.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

New Toy!
    What would ya'll pair it with? My current swim bait set up is on an Okuma Guide Select Swimbait 7"11 XXH.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Curado 8ft rod should work well with big lures.
    G Loomis makes some top shelf rods, but you’ll pay for it.
    I need some fishing therapy, been stuck in this d@mn desert too long.
    Got any Opus??? 😆😂🤣

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

and a new calendar

• Options

Was targeting bream and cichlids in a local lake, but caught this small Bass on a 5wt fly rod

• Options

Bet you had fun. Bream here about like floating yellow foam spiders in size 16 or a dry fly called the Stimulator in the same size. Fishing dries is a blast. I've had small native trout leap clear out of the water next to a dry fly, eye ball the fly and hit it on the way down.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    Bet you had fun. Bream here about like floating yellow foam spiders in size 16 or a dry fly called the Stimulator in the same size. Fishing dries is a blast. I've had small native trout leap clear out of the water next to a dry fly, eye ball the fly and hit it on the way down.

I was using a tiny green pepper
    Really wish I could get with someone for guidance
    After Covid will take a class

• Options

There is a program called Healing Waters. The program promotes fly fishing as a way of healing after war. HW provides rod, reel, flys, waders etc to veterans and has weekend events all for no cost. They always need non-vet helpers. Check it out. You will learn a lot.

• Options

@First_Warrior said:
    There is a program called Healing Waters. The program promotes fly fishing as a way of healing after war. HW provides rod, reel, flys, waders etc to veterans and has weekend events all for no cost. They always need non-vet helpers. Check it out. You will learn a lot.

Oh I am a Vet myself. 20 years Army
    Think I saw part of a show on the outdoor channel recently about them.
    Time to test my google fu skills

• Options
    edited January 2021

@First_Warrior said:

Just checked them out online. Seems they have folks less than an hour both north and south of me. THANKS for the heads up. Will be looking into them

• Options
    PeachesPeaches Posts: 14 ✭✭

Salt water myself, fish off the beaches in So. Cal. targeting surf perch, halibut. Never had much luck in fresh water.

• Options

@FIRERAT said:

Mayan cyclid in my back yard

Those are a blast on a lightweight flyrod

• Options
    FIRERATFIRERAT Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭

@Diver43 said:

@FIRERAT said:

Mayan cyclid in my back yard

Those are a blast on a lightweight flyrod

Yeah they are a fun fight.

F**k You I'm drunk.....
    "I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just how I am,"-Homer Simpson