Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Nica Libre

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I am really interested in these smokes, when one of you smoke one make sure you tell us what you thought! If it is anything like the padron 64, I will be buying a box.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I actually smoked one last night and it was a damn fine cigar! I was impressed with how much flavor it had and how well it burned. For the price you just can't beat these and I WILL be getting more. I should have jumped all over that daily deal. It does remind me quite a bit of the Padron's. Awesome smoke! Jump all over them if you find a good deal.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I just ordered a box and a bunch of RP decades...
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    cabinetmaker:

decades or segundos?
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    cabinetmaker:

decades or segundos?
    Decades. I know there is nothing actually wrong with segundos, but I got a good price....
  • Options
    ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Just had my first one and I'll give some initial thoughts although I want to have a few more before forming a strong opinion.

Had this around noon today...I rarely smoke this early in the day and perhaps that had something to do with my buds...

I thought the construction and burn was awesome....draw was about perfect.  When I opened these up and smelled them they had a unique(different) smell...maybe that wrapper from San Andres...The taste I thought was only OK...a little harsh the first third....still a little harsh the middle third and toward the end it seemed to improve in flavor....not a bad cigar...I got so many hour + cigars to burn it is nice to have some 30-45 mn smokes and this would be an ok cigar for every day use...To me it didn't taste  a lot like Padrons but I am more familiar with their basic line....so that's my two cents worth...
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I'm having my first one now. I tripled up on the daily deal a couple of weeks ago and couldn't wait any longer to try them. Only about a third of the way in, but not bad at all. Not quite as complex or full bodied as the Padron, but similar nonetheless. For the price, very good indeed!
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    I am really interested in these smokes, when one of you smoke one make sure you tell us what you thought! If it is anything like the padron 64, I will be buying a box.
    I don't know if I would compare it to the Padron Anniversary's, to me it was more even with the El Mejor Espresso or CI Anniversary Epicures. A very smooth, mellow smoke though. Worth every penny and then some.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I had one of these this past week and after my head caved in from sucking so hard I had to give up on it. I had it resting for a few months so it should have been okay. I won't judge a stick off of one experience, but I usually don't buy many maduro wrappers so I'm not sure I'll try it again. From the smoke I could draw, it tasted very smooth.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Don't give up. I went through a flight sampler of them and by the end they have become one of my favorite sticks. The smoke is smooth and also very rich with lots of coffee.
  • Options
    undulac:
    I had one of these this past week and after my head caved in from sucking so hard I had to give up on it. I had it resting for a few months so it should have been okay. I won't judge a stick off of one experience, but I usually don't buy many maduro wrappers so I'm not sure I'll try it again. From the smoke I could draw, it tasted very smooth.
    Interesting. Mine have always had a looser-than-normal draw. I haven't had any that were even slightly tight.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Unthought_Known:
    undulac:
    Interesting. Mine have always had a looser-than-normal draw. I haven't had any that were even slightly tight.
    +1
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Man I love the Nica Libre. btw... here's a secret... if you call in and beg your ccom rep, they might be able to hook you up with the daily deal price that pops up sometimes (about $2 a stick) if you ask really, really nicely!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Man I love the Nica Libre. btw... here's a secret... if you call in and beg your ccom rep, they might be able to hook you up with the daily deal price that pops up sometimes (about $2 a stick) if you ask really, really nicely!
    ... and don't say it too loud, worth twice the price. Big thumbs up there.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've had two Nice Libres now and wasn't really impressed with them. Not bad by any means, but I just didn't like it enough to add it to my rotation, even when factoring in the low price.
  • Options
    WickedWicked Posts: 4
    well I just lit one up and so far (about a half inch on the start) it has a very good burn with a perfect draw. Well i'm about half way down and I've gotta say the flavor has been quite consistant. for a few puffs there i smoked a little fast and this is definately a cigar that if you want to get the best out of it you want to smoke it slow and the coffee hints are wonderful through the nose, the smoke is also very smooth. I'm really enjoying this and though I have a little while before this stick is ready to be laid down and left in the ashtray I can go ahead and say that I will be keeping a few of these in my humi and I also have the padron aniv. in my humi which has been compared to this cigar so I'm really looking forward to smoking it. the nica libre i'm finishing off was the torpedo, I normally tend to stick with torpedos and robustos. oh and also, this was my first post in the forums, so hey everyone. i might have to better introduce myself in a later forum when i get the chance.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I smoked one of these for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it. Not the greatest thing ever, but certainly worth a permenant spot in my humi.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Good flavor but much too loose and burned up quick has been my experience.
  • Options
    Too Loose? The Box press Diplimaticos hold their squareness down to the last inch. At least the box that I've smoked. Can't report on any of the others, as I've only had a robusto and a torp and didn't care for them as much as the 7 X 50, its the next step up and a regular since I've found them. No burn issues and 30 days or so in the humi.
    regards...BSD
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    BigSmokeDan:
    Too Loose? The Box press Diplimaticos hold their squareness down to the last inch. At least the box that I've smoked. Can't report on any of the others, as I've only had a robusto and a torp and didn't care for them as much as the 7 X 50, its the next step up and a regular since I've found them. No burn issues and 30 days or so in the humi. regards...BSD
    I agree, my favorite size is the 7X50 as well.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have smoked some of these and they have a good flavor. I thought the stick was a little too soft/loosely rolled and burned quickly.
  • Options
    Just bought a box of Imperials with the freebie 5-pack sampler.  Also got a box of Nub Camaroon with a free 5-pack Nub sampler, plus a Colibri torch, and a free Perdomo 5-pack sampler.  What a deal!

Can't wait to try the Nica Libre, as Padron are my favorite sticks.  I've got big hopes for these.  (I KNOW I'll like the Nubs!)
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    fla-gypsy:
    I have smoked some of these and they have a good flavor. I thought the stick was a little too soft/loosely rolled and burned quickly.
    Interesting. I've smoked a bunch of these in the Robusto and Toro sizes. They've all burned slow for me. I was enjoying a robusto the other day and smoked for over an hour - didn't make it to the last third. Heh, long smoking robusto.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    fla-gypsy:
    Interesting. I've smoked a bunch of these in the Robusto and Toro sizes. They've all burned slow for me. I was enjoying a robusto the other day and smoked for over an hour - didn't make it to the last third. Heh, long smoking robusto.
    My experience with these has been the same, Phil. I really enjoy them, and I guess I tend to take them slow, maybe even baby it a little bit.

For the price point on these things, there isn't much else I would rather smoke.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I smoked one of these just this morning. I agree totally, they do have a loose feel, easy draw and all of mine (so far) have been flawless in construction and very slow burners. Super tasty and really a bummer that everyone keeps comparing them to Padron instead of just enjoying them. Coffee is a perfect drink for these.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I had one last night and enjoyed it very much
  • Options
    TatuajeVI:
    fla-gypsy:
    I smoke the biggest size in roughly 30 minutes....either I smoke too fast or you smoke too slow!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    took me an hour and a half for the diplomatico and I enjoyed it as much as a padron anniversary
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    These are currently one of my go-to smokes. I have never had burn or construction issues, and they always taste good to boot!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I smoked one of these Saturday. Espresso maduro cigars are not my thing, but this one I could tell would be very excellent if maduro espresso was your thing. I forget where I got it. I see where you can get a whole dang box of them for fifty something. Heck of a price. Wouldn't mind scoring a box to send someone I have in mind. But then I look at these reviews here, and the opinions are both extremes. So my question is: Did the maker once have inconsistency issues which are now resolved, or are these things still all over the map? One I had was damn fine smooth. Made me wish it was more my flavor profile. Can I shoot these out to a guy and be assured that half of what he receives won't be dog rockets?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)