Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Nica Libre

13»

Comments

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I've only had a couple, but I thought it was a good smoke for the money. I don't like how it's marketed and designed as competition to the Padron '64 since it's nowhere close, but it's not like that's the only smoke out there copying a design.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Ya smoked a few. Bought a Box. My favorite ? No. Horrible. No where near. Overall decent cigar for the money. The few I had had no burn or roll issues. It is a medium bodied cigar. Nice flavor but not real complex in my opinion. Would I buy another box ? Maybe in a smaller ring size. The box I bought are the imperials 6 x 54. Will try the smaller ring sizes before I give it a go or no go for my humi.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    So my question is: Did the maker once have inconsistency issues which are now resolved, or are these things still all over the map? One I had was damn fine smooth. Made me wish it was more my flavor profile. Can I shoot these out to a guy and be assured that half of what he receives won't be dog rockets?

Hmm....
    *I'd guess* that maybe age played a role in this inconsistency ...

(This is just another reason why I should start keeping a cigar journal) ...
    But if my memory serves me correctly, I smoked a single almost ROTT and wasn't too fond of it and wrote off the blend. It just didn't do much for me, and at the time I liked a few other AJ blends much more than this one, figured my time and $$ would be better spent on something else.

But not long after writing off the blend, I picked up a bundle of AJ Overruns and guess what they were???
    Friggin' gosh dang Nica Libres.
    Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about it but since I scored them for only pennies on the dollar, I couldn't raise too much of a fuss.
    So I figured what the heck, might as well try an experiment and bury them in the bottom of the humi to see if they get better after a little nap.

Well I've had them for about a year now ... smoked one the other day and boy oh boy!!! what a difference!!
    Much smoother and more balanced now, IMO. Whatever negative feelings I had for it that first time have been completely wiped away, and now I wish I had more of these with some age on them.

Great budget smoke for puttering around the garage, doing yard work, or walkin' the pooch. But also good enough to be enjoyed on it's own if you just want to kick back, relax, and focus on the cigar.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with jgibv. I bought 10 of the 6x60 double perfectos a long time ago, and they just get better and better after sitting. At first, the flavor is good, but they can get harsh and bitter pretty quick. Coffee and espresso turns to acrid ammonia taste...not so good. But after a good sit in a humi, they smooth out nicely and you're left with a nice earthy, spicy, coffee profile.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed! These need rest!! They aren't bad but they are not great...I like them for yard sticks or driving sticks but would break it out for a relaxation smoke. IMO pretty one dimensional which makes them great for when you just don't wanna think lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    The first PF I had was in December. It tasted horrible, but now I realize that is my own fault.

I did not give it enough time to rest in my humidor, and I did not smoke it low and slow.

I tried it again a few weeks ago with the aging and patience and it had much more flavor. I purchased a few more tins to keep on hand, when I don't have time for a #9.

I do agree with what others have said, being that LP has become a kind of faddish, overpriced, supply manipulative line, but they are still very good.

Most recently, I have found myself smoking more Jaime Garcia Reserve Especial over #9's. Very similar taste profiles in my opinion, at 1/3 the price.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BeltFanDan:
    The first PF I had was in December. It tasted horrible, but now I realize that is my own fault.

I did not give it enough time to rest in my humidor, and I did not smoke it low and slow.

I tried it again a few weeks ago with the aging and patience and it had much more flavor. I purchased a few more tins to keep on hand, when I don't have time for a #9.

I do agree with what others have said, being that LP has become a kind of faddish, overpriced, supply manipulative line, but they are still very good.

Most recently, I have found myself smoking more Jaime Garcia Reserve Especial over #9's. Very similar taste profiles in my opinion, at 1/3 the price.
    What is a PF????

Is that some kind of nickname/abbreviation for the Nica Libre??? Just curious, since this thread is about Nica Libre --- trying to follow your train of thought. And isn't the JGRE still more expensive than the Nica Libre?? ... #9s?? You lost me brother....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    LOL, for some reason he started talking about Papas Fritas I'm assuming. WRong thread maybe?
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blurr:
    LOL, for some reason he started talking about Papas Fritas I'm assuming. WRong thread maybe?
    That makes sense..... although not for this thread, lol!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America