Home General Discussion
Options

I'm baaaaaaccckk

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
I'm back from a great week. There were 26 cabins at the state park we were at and 25 of them were rented by people with us. My wife and I arrived Monday with 66 beers for ourselves and had to make a beer run(an hour to the closest store with beer) on thursday for 54 more and we had two leftover when we left Saturday night! Needless to say it was a good time, and I thoroughly enjoy Sam Adams Summer Ale. I played poker every night and actually walked away two dollars in the black, I call that successful!

On to cigars, I decided it would be a good idea to take my desktop humidor with about 50 cigars in it in case I smoked a lot and/or anyone else wanted a couple. Well I didn't think about the fact that there was no AC out there and at one point my humi was sitting at 88% and 92 degrees. Not exactly great conditions for anything besides mold and the dreaded tobacco beetle. Kaspera, you should love this! I got tobacco beetles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw a hole in one of my sticks and immediately freaked and started looking around in the humi and there under the cello I saw one burrow into a RP Vintage 1999 right before my eyes. I immediately whipped them all out of the humi stuck them in zip lock bags and into the freezer they went, except one I intended to smoke that night. I stuck the cigars in the freezer for 24 hours and stuck the empty humidor in the freezer for about 12 hours. I put the cigars in the fridge for about 10 hours after they came out of the freezer and haven't had any problems since. I do believe I will be freezing all cigars before they hit my humidors now though.Finally I'll give you guys a little rundown of what I smoked while I was out there.
Nording
Sol Cubano Sumatra(my 2nd favorite of the week)
Rocky Patel Summer Blend(My favorite of the week possibly in my top 5! Habano Wrapper with a Cameroon binder, ingenious!)
A few Nub cameroons
Romeo Y Julieta Presidente (a gift from the wife's uncle smoked it for like 4 hours and it still had an inch and a half when I set it down)
RP Sungrown
ccom purple label and red label

Comments

• Options
    BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    Welcome back. good thing you knew what to do. If it was me, all would have been lost as I wouldn't have known what to do. lol
  • Options
    Now you know!
  • Options
    la-henryla-henry Posts: 74
    madurofan:
    Now you know!
    And knowing is half the battle......G.I. JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Welcome back. What is the RP summer blend? Never heard of it.

Anyway, im me your address and I will send you a couple of the OSG's

• Options
    The summer blend is a new stick by Rocky I went to an event last friday at my B&M and they were debuting them. Very good. If I can get another I'll stick it in your package for the OSG's.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the B&M near my work said he was one of the first's in the area to get 'em, but it's just a seasonal cigar that Rocky is limitedly producing...

Either way I bought a couple... and they have a cool wrapper too!
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Sol Cubano Sumatra is a great smoke...makes me wonder why they discontinued that line
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Ok, let me ask this...you only put the cigars and humidor in the freezer/fridge to get rid of the beetles, right? Because from what I understand you do not store cigars in the fridge or freezers. Did i answer my own question here? Just wanted to confirm, it is good info.
  • Options
    The Sumatra was discontinued? DAMN! That was really good.
  • Options
    Andy you did answer your own question. The length of time they need to be in the freezer/fridge depends on who you talk to but you're right in that you don't store them in there. HOWEVER, I do store my humidors in wine fridge that is set at 65 degrees to prevent beetles.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Yeah, the B&M near my work said he was one of the first's in the area to get 'em, but it's just a seasonal cigar that Rocky is limitedly producing...

Either way I bought a couple... and they have a cool wrapper too!
    The band is cool. I think RP will do a similar cigar that'll be produced long term, from what the rep and the B&M owner were saying the Summer Blend has been extremely well received and is flying off shelves.
  • Options
    MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Glad to see you back...
  • Options
    Markbb:
    Glad to see you back...
    Thanks buddy. Looks like we've got some new blood thats fairly active. I like it!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome back, Maddy! All the Sweathogs are still here.
  • Options
    lol, sweathogs. Looks like you and a couple other took over where ol' kuz and I left off.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Maduro, Did ya have a good vacation ?? Nice to see you back with all your wisdom and humor brother...Oh, yeah , you just can't shut Urbino up... LOL... you know I'm are just s****** U.
  • Options
    Great vacation bro, great! You hear I had beetles? I figured you'd have jumped on that oppurtunity lol
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Great vacation bro, great! You hear I had beetles? I figured you'd have jumped on that oppurtunity lol
    If you really did.. I am sorry to have ever teased you... I didn't read all your posts yet but I am getting through them.. Hope it wasn't to bad..
  • Options
    madurofan:
    lol, sweathogs. Looks like you and a couple other took over where ol' kuz and I left off.
    Well, we talked a lot, but there's no replacing youse guys.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey Maduro, Did ya have a good vacation ?? Nice to see you back with all your wisdom and humor brother...Oh, yeah , you just can't shut Urbino up... LOL... you know I'm are just s****** U.
    I'll remember that remark. The next shipment I send your way will have beetles in it.
  • Options
    Urbino,Are you kiddin' you have one of the greatest sense of humors I have ever seen or read Especially that profile of the Sherpa. With almost 350 posts in about two weeks This place has really got some witty banter going on. I truely enjoy the good natured repartee we share....Why would you want to send me Beetles and spoil this lovely kinship we share ??
  • Options
    I'm lost.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urby's lost, but maduro is found...oh happy days.

Welcome back, your absence was definitely noticed, but urby did his best to post like it was going out of style so we all had new stuff to read.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Harsh, dude. Harsh. No Xmas card for you, this year.
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    That's cool, I'm jewish. ;)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    No dreidel with cigar band logos for you this year.
  • Options
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    No dreidel with cigar band logos for you this year.
    Oh that's cool... I'm not really jewish lmao. That and dreidels seems like they'd spin lopsided. I'll still send you a christmas card anyway... complete with some Hybrid 2000 tobacco beetles. :D
  • Options
    I wonder, is it too late for me to recall that package I sent you last week?
  • Options
    I'll have a talk with the fedex guy tomorrow, see if he's willing to take it back. :D
  • Options
    I'll give you my address and have him take it here .. That is of course if it is beetle free.. I think Urbinos gonna send someone some critters , I haven't figured out who yet..