Home Pipes
Options

This must be the Elite section

Comments

• Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Still think your rushin it. Relax. Have a glass of Brandy or whatever. LOL. Pipes do need more nurturing to keep them lit. Another reason why you don't want a hot smoke. Ever use a contractors gas powered trowl or a floor buffer. LOL. Light, tamp, light it again. maybe tamp again. The top of the bowl should now have a nice even coal across the surface. Now is the slow down and enjoyment time. By the way if the pipe is new it needs to build up a char on the bowl. This also acts as an insulator. Don't bother trying to build one up in a cob though. It will burn through on you within a few bowls full. Thats what briar is for. I also don't buy pipes made from other types of wood such as maple etc. They split on you after awhile. Meerschaum doesen't require a break in or char. They tend to breath as you smoke helping to cool. The normal reaction to no smoke is puff harder. That will only draw your coal down the path of least resistance also burning less tobacco and alas less smoke. Resist the urge. Once you have a nice coal feed it only enough to keep it working. Note: Smokin a pipe outside on a windy day your pipe will not go out when left alone because there is enough draft going through it to feed the coal oxygen.
  • Options
    Forgot. Taking it slow allows for more flavor as well. Think of lighting a cigar with the hottest part of the torch touching the cigar charring the tip. Same holds true for a pipe.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Nice, I'll keep that in mind. I still haven't finished a bowl yet, seems like I spend too much time trying to get it going. The last bowl of Virginia was my new so far and I smoked it down pretty far. It was more consistent in draw an staying lit.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    catfishbluezz:
    Weird...trying the 1776 tonight. Hot burn, needs a relight, definitely not billowing smoke unless I draw a bunch and get it hot

If this is SG (Samuel Gawith) and not a match blend, then it came to you with too much moister in it. SG needs some drying time. How much? It really depends, usually the flakes need about 30 min. air time and they smoke great. Taking it out and smoking it as is will cause frustration and many relights. Sorry, I should have gave you a heads up on this ahead of time.
  • Options
    By the way, how is your tongue? If I had 3 bowls that all smoked hot I would be sore for several days.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Weird...trying the 1776 tonight. Hot burn, needs a relight, definitely not billowing smoke unless I draw a bunch and get it hot
    This is what I was talking about on the Pipe Tips thread. Tamp, tamp, and slo-ow down. Puff While tamping. Slowly. What should be happening inside the pipe is a dime sized and thickness layer of burning tobacco is almost resting on top of your pack, rest the tamp on in lightly while puffing. The goal is that slow even burn that we achieve with cigars. Also, this is much more difficult with a brand new pipe, even for the experienced pipe smoker.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    J.S.:
    By the way, how is your tongue? If I had 3 bowls that all smoked hot I would be sore for several days.
    Tongue is fine really, I think it was a reblend. I'd heard abotu letting tobacco dry out a bit. I am going to try the Frank method next for packing and see if that helps. The bowl of VA smoked the best so far.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    catfishbluezz:
    This is what I was talking about on the Pipe Tips thread. Tamp, tamp, and slo-ow down. Puff While tamping. Slowly. What should be happening inside the pipe is a dime sized and thickness layer of burning tobacco is almost resting on top of your pack, rest the tamp on in lightly while puffing. The goal is that slow even burn that we achieve with cigars. Also, this is much more difficult with a brand new pipe, even for the experienced pipe smoker.
    I saw that, and am def going to use that advice next go around. I figured my pipes being new has something to do with it as well.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    Tongue is fine really, I think it was a reblend. I'd heard abotu letting tobacco dry out a bit. I am going to try the Frank method next for packing and see if that helps. The bowl of VA smoked the best so far.

The Frank method works great. You might also want to look up the Bob method, or Google how to prepare flake tobacco. Bob is the editor of Pipes Mag. and has several videos on how to pack a pipe for the different types of tobacco (e.g., flake, plug, rope). They are helpful too.
  • Options
    Hey! We broke 100 threads. LOL.
    It's a shame so many don't know or understand the joys of pipe smoking. Too Bad but more room for us.
  • Options
    Maybe it will not take us 6 months + to do the next 100!
  • Options
    Failed on a bowl of nightcap. Burned hot real fast. Grabbed te cob and some mellow VA, much better. My pack is 50/50 it seems now. Needed some Irish whiskey for te tongue bite lol. image
  • Options
    Having a bowl of Captian Black Royal. Pretty good, little dry, decent burn though
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Having a bowl of Captian Black Royal. Pretty good, little dry, decent burn though

good mainstay for a can. You can buy it in bulk as well if you like it.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    catfishbluezz:

good mainstay for a can. You can buy it in bulk as well if you like it.
    I still have no clue what i am doing. I think my bowls are burning hot really. If I let them cool, they tend to go out all the time. If I continually puff, they get a little hot. I am using a two layer pack, and it seems to work better then three for me. I shove a bunch in, pack, shove a bunch more in and go from there.
  • Options
    I see a lot of posts explaining different packing methods. I take my pipe and hold it over my container of tobacco. I take a pretty good pinch and begin loading it into the bowl using my little finger to work it down and just continue feeding till I have a pile on top. I then pack it with my fingers to push it into the bowl. Too much I pull a little off. Too little I add more before its fully stuffed in so the tobaccos tend to interlock to keep it lit. The pressure and feel comes with time.
    There are a lot of things that come into play when smoking such as tightness of the pack, moisture in the tobacco, is the tobacco an easy burner or is it the type that's hard to keep lit. I keep that in mind as I develop my blends. I want them to smoke easily and be flexible in how people pack as well as provide a lot of smoke. Some tobaccos do not give off as much as others. Also if the burning coal is to big and hot from to much draw going through it it's like drawing continuous on a cigar. Every blend has a sweet spot for drawing depending on the tobacco. One thing is relaxing and not overdrawing and pulling hard if you feel the light is going out. It may be just the opposite and the hot coal is burning too efficient which produces less smoke.
    Some of the thinner wall bowls just get hotter than others as well. Often I have to hold it at the shank because the bowl is too hot. I just slow down and go shallower in drawing.
    time is the key. The more you smoke the better you'll get. Like learning to dance. Beginners look at their feet and try follow the way they were taught. As they dance more they become more fluid and graceful. Tend to forget about the numbers and let your senses of taste touch etc take over.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Curse you, curse you all!!! When I get home from work I'm going to have to ransack my house looking for the cheap-aZZ pipe I bought a few months ago, as well as pick up some tobacco on the way home...
    In all seriousness, I've tried my hand at pipes and found them thoroughly relaxing. I'm sure a better pipe and more blends will enhance the experience.
    I'll let you fellers know how it goes.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    Curse you, curse you all!!! When I get home from work I'm going to have to ransack my house looking for the cheap-aZZ pipe I bought a few months ago, as well as pick up some tobacco on the way home...

In all seriousness, I've tried my hand at pipes and found them thoroughly relaxing. I'm sure a better pipe and more blends will enhance the experience.

Good to hear that you are enjoying a pipe too. Definitely let us know that you are smoking and what you like.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    Toombes:
    Good to hear that you are enjoying a pipe too. Definitely let us know that you are smoking and what you like.
    and welcome to our little slice of heaven, where you can smoke for a week for the price of a good cigar :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    J.S.:
    Toombes:
    and welcome to our little slice of heaven, where you can smoke for a week for the price of a good cigar :)
    That's what I'm finding, and am starting to enjoy it really. I think I will probably start going back and forth.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Toombes:

So far, the only thing I've smoked is Borkum Riff Bourbon moistened up with a drip or two of scotch.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Amos Umwhat:
    J.S.:
    Toombes:
    That's what I'm finding, and am starting to enjoy it really. I think I will probably start going back and forth.
    Always. Pipes and cigars are different, each has its strengths, weaknesses, and appeals for me. One does not replace the other, both provide something I desire.

• Options
    Bump.
    Is anybody out there? (Pink Floyd) Everyone get writers cramp?
  • Options
    Im out here XD thinking what my next tobacco should be and suggestions?
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    too busy smoking.......... Still reading and enjoying your posts!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    Mr.Fusion:

Don't know enough of your history to make a suggestion. Also been smoking bulk and blending my own too long to recommend any canned stuff. Soooo, Get some Lane-BLWB (Burley Light Without Bite) and some Altadis Black Kathy. (a no bite Cavendish with a hint of Vanilla). Mix equal parts by volume. Also these two are a good prime ingredient to add to canned varieties that seem too strong or leave a bite. If you get into blending they can be a the base that you work from. Enjoy
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    Mr.Fusion:

Don't know enough of your history to make a suggestion. Also been smoking bulk and blending my own too long to recommend any canned stuff. Soooo, Get some Lane-BLWB (Burley Light Without Bite) and some Altadis Black Kathy. (a no bite Cavendish with a hint of Vanilla). Mix equal parts by volume. Also these two are a good prime ingredient to add to canned varieties that seem too strong or leave a bite. If you get into blending they can be a the base that you work from. Enjoy
    That's funny, the blend I made was basically straight burley and black cav with a touch of natural cav. I love it man. I'm going to pick up some more bulks at my pipe shop to blend more stuff to try really.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    pilgrimtex:
    Mr.Fusion:

That's funny, the blend I made was basically straight burley and black cav with a touch of natural cav. I love it man. I'm going to pick up some more bulks at my pipe shop to blend more stuff to try really.

Actually Cavendish is not natural. It is a process. Green river Cavendish is about the plainest and since they use unrefined sugar in the process it has sort of a carmalized flavor.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    Bump.
    Is anybody out there? (Pink Floyd) Everyone get writers cramp?
    Just plain busey right now. I have not had time to get on for a few days.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    catfishbluezz:
    pilgrimtex:
    Mr.Fusion:

Actually Cavendish is not natural. It is a process. Green river Cavendish is about the plainest and since they use unrefined sugar in the process it has sort of a carmalized flavor.
    Well I'm a pretty big fan of aromatics, I've been smoking a lot of lane 1Q and really dig it. I still have not tried and english blends yet so thats a new ground for me to poke around in.