This must be the Elite section

13»

Comments

• Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Is anybody out there?
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I hear you. The pipe forum has been slow. I have been busy and have just been checking the boards once in a while.
  • Options
    Same here. Still waiting on word from Steve if C.C will run my blends. If not I'll be posting the recipes on my thread.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Having a bowl of C&D Exhausted Rooster out of my Kaywoodie Relief Grain. I've really grown to like Kaywoodie and the drinkless stem, it just works well for me. And their pipe desing tends to be more traditional 1950's type.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    Having a bowl of C&D Exhausted Rooster out of my Kaywoodie Relief Grain. I've really grown to like Kaywoodie and the drinkless stem, it just works well for me. And their pipe desing tends to be more traditional 1950's type.

If you find what you like than don't fix it. Good for you.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Hey Pilgrim, hope your having a Merry Holiday Season, Green grass and High tides.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Just got back into this habit again after 30 years...I developed a bad case of TMJ and had to stop smoking pipes but now....it's so good to start over again. Bought a couple of new pipes to start again...Savinelli Rustic with a nice big bowl and love it. I used to have a lot of this brand and always loved how it was so easy to break in and enjoy great tobacco from the first bowl and it was like I'd never been away. As far as tobaccos go....I'm pretty open to anything that is good and will be buying up a lot in the next few months as it keeps pretty fresh if you know how to store it...which I do. Nothing better than to have about 20 different blends to enjoy...variety being the spice of life.
  • Options
    Hey. It's me! Been gone so long Walt's emporium has disappeared. Anyway, House on market, Going to Clear Lake so I have some water to sail my boat in. Also taking the plunge and gonna order a Blue Water sailor so I can sail the Gulf and Caribbean. Name of the new boat will be "Sail'n Somewhere. because that's what we'll be doing.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Hey. It's me! Been gone so long Walt's emporium has disappeared. Anyway, House on market, Going to Clear Lake so I have some water to sail my boat in. Also taking the plunge and gonna order a Blue Water sailor so I can sail the Gulf and Caribbean. Name of the new boat will be "Sail'n Somewhere. because that's what we'll be doing.
    I was starting to wonder if you'd sailed off the edge of the world.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    Sounds great! I am glad you are doing well. Welcome back to the forum.
  • Options
    Too ornery to sail off the end of the world. Just skirt the edges. It's been busy and getting ready to move as well as dumping 68 yrs of accumulated crap. I'LL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED AS I GET CLOSER TO THE DREAM.
  • Options
    pilgrimtex:
    Too ornery to sail off the end of the world. Just skirt the edges. It's been busy and getting ready to move as well as dumping 68 yrs of accumulated crap. I'LL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED AS I GET CLOSER TO THE DREAM.

May the dream become reality, Walt. Good to see you again.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back Walt. This last week, I achieved the feat of toasted a full bowl in my truck with onyl one relight while driving. I was pretty proud of myself, and given the wonderful scent it leaves behind, I am putting together a truck pack with a couple pipes and blends.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Good to see you back Walt. This last week, I achieved the feat of toasted a full bowl in my truck with onyl one relight while driving. I was pretty proud of myself, and given the wonderful scent it leaves behind, I am putting together a truck pack with a couple pipes and blends.
    Great. I made a canvass bag to hold lunch size baggies of tobacco and up to 6 pipes for when I travel. Treva loads them and I smoke them. She even has one once in awhile. LOL
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Lets give this a big-ol-bump!

I think I have finally mastered the art. A breathing technique was the last thing i needed. Now my cobs and briars are all burning perfectly, no more gurgles - tounge bite or cracked bowls. every blend ive shoved in the hole has went the way I wanted it too, making this last 3 days of piping absolutly the best. I am very very happy and lets get this section popping again!

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Lets give this a big-ol-bump!

I think I have finally mastered the art. A breathing technique was the last thing i needed. Now my cobs and briars are all burning perfectly, no more gurgles - tounge bite or cracked bowls. every blend ive shoved in the hole has went the way I wanted it too, making this last 3 days of piping absolutly the best. I am very very happy and lets get this section popping again!

Aj
    I am glad you have found your pace! It really makes smoking a real pleasure to not have to deal with bite and the right pace is so relaxing too.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm still working on it. I have found a couple of pipe/tobacco combinations that work really well and am starting to get a feel for the pipes themselves. there is a great deal of satisfaction when I get a bowl right, this happens maybe 75% of the time.
  • Options
    it really is alot harder then it looks... never figured there was so much involved in really enjoying the pipe. It truly is an art of relaxation, as Its just not as good when your not into the zone. Still havent grown the balls to burn a good pipe yet, but im almost there!

Aj
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    Yeah, I'm still working on it. I have found a couple of pipe/tobacco combinations that work really well and am starting to get a feel for the pipes themselves. there is a great deal of satisfaction when I get a bowl right, this happens maybe 75% of the time.
    It's an ongoing process, isn't it? I think I pack the pipes the same way every time, but I only get it right some of the time. Sure do enjoy it when I do, though.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Anybody heard or seen from PilgrimTex?

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Anybody heard or seen from PilgrimTex?

Aj
    Not in a while, seem to remember something about him buying a boat and wanting to set sail.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Great. I read this thread and now I want a pipe. You guys are going to have to answer to my wife. Best starter pipe?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    youngryan216:
    Great. I read this thread and now I want a pipe. You guys are going to have to answer to my wife. Best starter pipe?
    Start with a good corn-cob. Missouri Meershaum makes decent ones, no, they're not toys, they're really meant for smoking. There are two advantages to this approach; first it's not expensive, next is that the corn cob doesn't require a break-in period, you're good to go right away. Somewhere in this myriad of posts I believe Catfishbluezz mentioned that even as his briars were getting broke-in, he still found himself smoking the cob.

After that? Hard to say, the world of pipe tobacco is extremely varied, to say the least. My favorite easily found aromatic is Captain Black Royal. I smoke a bowl of it with my coffee almost every morning. Do a little looking around, with pipe-tobacco the possibilities are nearly endless.

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Bump. Everyone still enjoying their pipes? I got a corn cob last week and have had some difficulties keeping it lit. I think its just gonna come with experience. Only have had one tobacco so far, but there are so many that I want to try.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Bump. Everyone still enjoying their pipes? I got a corn cob last week and have had some difficulties keeping it lit. I think its just gonna come with experience. Only have had one tobacco so far, but there are so many that I want to try.
    Im getting ready to try piping as well Ro, this oughta be good!!
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    To be honest, yes , Iv only had one blend of tobacco, but I enjoy it better than cigars. Please dont stone me. Lol.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    It is a different and challenging experience. I still prefer a stogie in the morning and afternoons, in the evenings it is a matter of how much time I have to relax. I can smoke a cigar in the truck but not a pipe.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    youngryan216:
    Start with a good corn-cob. Missouri Meershaum makes decent ones, no, they're not toys, they're really meant for smoking. There are two advantages to this approach; first it's not expensive, next is that the corn cob doesn't require a break-in period, you're good to go right away. Somewhere in this myriad of posts I believe Catfishbluezz mentioned that even as his briars were getting broke-in, he still found himself smoking the cob.

After that? Hard to say, the world of pipe tobacco is extremely varied, to say the least. My favorite easily found aromatic is Captain Black Royal. I smoke a bowl of it with my coffee almost every morning. Do a little looking around, with pipe-tobacco the possibilities are nearly endless.

Agreed with this on all accounts. I miss my pipes (stupidly left them in California, with a ton of other missed stuff), but I smoked Captain Black on a regular basis.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨