Home Cigar 101
Options

Questions. So many questions.

Comments

• Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Yeah, back on topic...It's really more of a preferance. I keep mine on till I get to that point of the smoke. If I go past the the band then its a really good one. I did last night with a La Gloria Cubana.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    That's basically what I've been doing. I leave it on as to signal a cut off point. I feel like if I go too much longer after that, and it gets pretty harsh, it's put a damper on my smoke.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, there's no etiquette on this. Just whatever you prefer. I like to remove the bands ASAP. For me, that's usually after smoking for a few minutes, when the heat and moisture has had time to loosen the glue a bit.
  • Options
    Well I have smoked a few down to my fingertips. They were that good. They need some kind cigar 'roach clip'. If you are stopping at the band you maybe missing out on some good smoke.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    Yeah, back on topic...It's really more of a preferance. I keep mine on till I get to that point of the smoke. If I go past the the band then its a really good one. I did last night with a La Gloria Cubana.
    Usually I take the band off before I start smoking.. That is if it slides off. If I have to peel it than I risk tearing the wrapper so I'll wait till the cigar heats up enough and there is no chance of the cigar and band being bound.. The heat usually loosens up that band. and it peels away nicely..I almost always smoke past the band so it does have to go..I've seen cigars with bands so big you must take them off to start, (Gurkha) and some with multiple band.( Patels). I read somewhere that it could be an insult to smoke a banded cigar if yours is thought to be a better cigar, sort of braggartism. Unless of course you share and all can do as they see fit.
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    That's basically what I've been doing. I leave it on as to signal a cut off point. I feel like if I go too much longer after that, and it gets pretty harsh, it's put a damper on my smoke.
    Hey Matt , the cut off point is when the ashes fall behind your teeth, that is when I stop.. (jk)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Matt Marvel:
    Hey Matt , the cut off point is when the ashes fall behind your teeth, that is when I stop.. (jk)
    Kas, I like the decription on that one...I've been there a few times. Last nite I just burned my fingertips.
  • Options
    Sometimes kas smokes 'em down to where the ashes fall behind where his teeth used to be.
  • Options
    nice...I'm sure it enhances the flavor.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Yeah, there's no etiquette on this. Just whatever you prefer. I like to remove the bands ASAP. For me, that's usually after smoking for a few minutes, when the heat and moisture has had time to loosen the glue a bit.
    I dont agree that there is no etiquite on this. but ill get back to that...

I always remove tha bands. i usually smoke past the band and when the cigar is hot near the band it is easy to tear the wrapper. I either remove the band before i light or after the first inch orso into the cigar. the latter option is if the band is onthere good. after an inch the "glue" heats up a tiny bit and the band comes off easily.

back to the ettiquite...
    when i smoke in a shop (even if i didnt usually) i ALWYS remove the band. some people cannot afford (or will not buy) expensive cigars. to some of these people you are being a show off by leaving the band on. You are in the shop to be with friends and share a smoke. Not to show off how good the cigars you are smoking are.

on a side note:
    bands were originally placed on a cigar so that gentlemen with white gloves on would not stain their gloves while smoking a cigar. the brand name on the band was soon to follow.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I usually leave the band until I get down near it. And of course there are those sticks that have the band nearer to the foot! It doesn't bother me in the least if someone leaves the band on. To me people who get offended by the band are in the same group with those that would get offended by a cartoon.
  • Options
    Kuzi, I never looked at it like that. I also don't look at cigars as a status symbol nor which cigar anyone smokes. I will however ask some why they would ever smoke a Philly/Backwoods/Swisher...LOL. But I agree with Zoom on this also, if you are offended by the band then you are missing the meaning of smoking a cigar. Thats just my opinion...
  • Options
    I agree. I mean, I guess I can understand feeling bad or whatever because you can't afford that specific brand, but you're going to deal with that regardless. There's always something that someone can get that you can't, so it really doesn't bother me. I don't understand being offended by it though.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    I agree. I mean, I guess I can understand feeling bad or whatever because you can't afford that specific brand, but you're going to deal with that regardless. There's always something that someone can get that you can't, so it really doesn't bother me. I don't understand being offended by it though.
    I can't afford a Ghurka HMR! o.O Oh, the humiliation! How ~dare~ you smoke that in fr...oh, wait; I've never seen anyone smoke one of these. Nevermind :P

I leave the band on as an indicator of where I am at, and I also like the nice bands as a decoration as well...but not as a "Oh, look at me, I am smoking a nice cigar, you Backwoods chomping piece o' white trash!" ;)
  • Options
    Backwoods...I smoked some of those in my youth well before I knew what a real cigar was like.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've read that even today the British view leaving your band on as a major faux pas.

I take my bands off a little ways into the cigar unless they are practically falling off before the light, then I just take them off right away. Since I smoke alone as a rule and with people as the exception, band on or off doesn't matter to me. I'm not going to get offended by someone smoking a more expensive cigar than me.... I mean big deal, you spent more money on your cigar than I did its not the end of the world.... I don't think.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Sometimes kas smokes 'em down to where the ashes fall behind where his teeth used to be.
    I still have all my teeth... I keep them in a jar under the back porch !!
  • Options
    I was thinking of those wisdom teeth, kas.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I was thinking of those wisdom teeth, kas.
    Yeah .. I know, and the mystical healing power of Fuentes smoke !!
  • Options
    Yes. It is some good juju.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i never said I was offended by the band being on. i think its more of a thing where we dont want people having the attitude of "my cigar can kick your cigar's ass!"

i know that most of you here have never seen a cigar snob because most of your interactions and real discussions about cigars are here or in other forums where people are nice. but they are there. they do exist.

...and here we see the cigar snob in his natural habitat-- the local humidor. note how his pupils dialate as he comes accross the most expensive cigar in the humidor. as he checks out he flexes his cigar knowledge. If we listen closely you can actually hear it...
    "this cigar is one of my favorites. it tastes of white grape rasins grown in southern alabama but dried in california. this is followed by an unsalted butter roasted maccidamia nut flavor and a finish of cracked red china pepper corns..."
    see how the casheer is not impressed? this doesnt get the snob down. his real, and unsuspecting prey are in the lounge talking about cars... lets watch as he goes in for the kill...
  • Options
    HA! Nice one kuzi.
  • Options
    Classic.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I like that Kuzi, I'm with you though. I usually take the band off before lighting. One, I like to save them if its the first time I smoked a particular stick and it gets in the way.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I save the band of particular cigars that I really enjoy. That way I can remember down the road when it is time to restock.
  • Options
    rdnstn:
    I usually take the band off before lighting.
    Ever have the band take the wrapper leaf with it? It is for this reason that I keep my bands on until I've smoked a couple inches.
  • Options
    I've had that happen, Joe. I do the same thing, now -- let the cigar steam the band first.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I've only had 1 wrapper ever unwrap on me and I can pretty much guarantee it was because I cut the cap off. I've never really worried about it otherwise because I'm very careful when removing the band. If possible I try to slide it off instead of peeling or cutting it.
  • Options
    I hear ya Ron. Its the same with me, but I've run into a couple that have so much adhesive on the label, its impossible to get off without tearing the wrapper. OF course in that case, it wouldn't really matter if you lit the cigar or not as it would probably tear the wrapper either way.