Home Cigar 101
Options

Questions. So many questions.

13»

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rdnstn:
    I've only had 1 wrapper ever unwrap on me and I can pretty much guarantee it was because I cut the cap off. I've never really worried about it otherwise because I'm very careful when removing the band. If possible I try to slide it off instead of peeling or cutting it.
    ive had better luck peeling the band off at the seem than i have tring to slide it off. i fand that if there is bump in the wrapper then the band hits that and peels the wrapper off with.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    New to this community and new to cigars, really. I bought a humidor, let the humidity get to about 70 percent and then started filling it with cigars. Now I'm doing some reading and wondering if there's a problem that I didn't calibrate the hygrometer? Is that something I need to do, do I need to take all the cigars out and start over?
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    First of all, welcome to the forums.

Now for the humi. Did you prepare it at all? If not then you should do that. There are plenty of other threads about preparing a new humi, just do some reading. As for the hygrometer, it doesn't need to be in the humi to calibrate it, so no need to empty the humi. You can calibrate it in a tupperware type container or even a ziplock bag. As a matter of fact, I think as you read through the forums, a lot of people here did the plastic bag method.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll do some more reading. Yes, I did prepare/season it. The hygrometer is analog and built in, so I can't take it out to calibrate it. I got it to about 68/69 percent humidity, but I never calibrated.
  • Options
    If it's built in, then the only way to calibrate it will be to take all the sticks out and do the salt test on it. You could put the sticks in a tupperdor with some humipaks while you calibrate it though.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Thanks, I'll do some more reading. Yes, I did prepare/season it. The hygrometer is analog and built in, so I can't take it out to calibrate it. I got it to about 68/69 percent humidity, but I never calibrated.
    there has to be a way. or it seems that there should be. I wouldnt think a humidor builder would make it fixed in there. if they did they should know better!!
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Those hygrometers aren't very good anyway. I would just leave it alone and consider it ornamental. You should really get a digital hygrometer and then calibrate that and you will know for sure where you are. Just my two cents and welcome to the forums!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    pilot711:
    Those hygrometers aren't very good anyway. I would just leave it alone and consider it ornamental. You should really get a digital hygrometer and then calibrate that and you will know for sure where you are. Just my two cents and welcome to the forums!
    What he said. Analogs are strictly for decoration. A Xikar adjustable digital hygro will run you about $15.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Or you can do what most I'm about to do... just wait a month or two and then you'll be ready to buy another humidor because this forum makes you salivate on all the different blends that are out there... then you can get that digital hygrometer and calibrate that and then see if the analog is on point too...

Don't use that 'ol FREE and CHEAP salt test... use the "Buy another humidor and compare the hygrometer's test" :)
  • Options
    Only problem with that is that what if both of them are off?
  • Options
    madurofan:

Third Humi???
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    madurofan:

Third Humi???
    Salt test!
  • Options
    Bah! I'd say third Humi... or you could buy a pre-existing B&M and then just claim it as your own humidor...

On a side note...
    Maybe some of you guys have looked into it or maybe you just know... but how much would it be to start up a cigar shop? The more I think about it and the more I look forward to the future years of my life I think owning a shop would be a great thing to keep up during retirement (I'm only 25 now)

Just curious as to how much a start-up would maybe run (just ballparks here) and if cigar shops are ACTUALLY profitable...
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Bah! I'd say third Humi... or you could buy a pre-existing B&M and then just claim it as your own humidor...

On a side note...
    Maybe some of you guys have looked into it or maybe you just know... but how much would it be to start up a cigar shop? The more I think about it and the more I look forward to the future years of my life I think owning a shop would be a great thing to keep up during retirement (I'm only 25 now)

Just curious as to how much a start-up would maybe run (just ballparks here) and if cigar shops are ACTUALLY profitable...
    Well actually a buddy of mine has done a lot of this research. The start up costs can be EXTREMELY high because of costs associated with building the humidor and stocking enough cigars to be taken seriously. however thats not the real issue the real issue is just getting a lot of the brands to even sell to you as an upstart. Brands like Fuente, Davidoff, etc have restrictions before they will sell directly to you. You're MUCH better to buy a pre-existing tobacconist. They can be very profitable but it has to be the right location just like everything else. I'd just be concerned with what these taxes they're tryign to levy and smoking bans are going to do to the industry.
  • Options
    Hmmm... I just hope I don't smoke all the profits...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Hmmm... I just hope I don't smoke all the profits...
    That is truely the problem here Lasabar. Hey wait ! I was just trying to figure out a way to have a three a day ( cigar) to write about in the Whatcha smokin' forum.. The perfect solution.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice...I think I'll go with the suggestion to consider the analog decorative and buy a digital.

So how about some suggestions on cigars for a novice - what are the must-haves? So far, I've been a fan of RP (i think it was a decade) and Gurkha (legend, titan, beast, etc.). Also like Ashtons of all sorts.

• Options
    Wow... go big or go home! You've pulled together quite a list already! But there are some others out there... maybe first offer out what you LIKE about those cigars, then more recommendations will come.

Just a side note I would also recommend Punch - Double Corona... I just smoked one and it was delicious!

Nate
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And I'd recommend a Punch punch, a very nice size IMO. You cannot go wrong with anything Oliva in my experience, I'd especially recommend the Serie G cameroon.
  • Options
    i still think the best thing punch puts out is the gran puro.
  • Options

Definitely want to try Punch, so I'll try those recommended. Mostly those I listed - Gurkha, Rocky and Ashton - were just cigars others offered to me or I picked up because others recommended. So far, I've liked it all, mild, medium. I've had a few maduros I liked too and a few that were a little harsh.

I realize it was an extremely broad question, I guess I should have asked - what are your personal favorites?

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I still have yet to try any of the Punch lines besides the original line. Definitely looking to try the others though.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    I don't know have you had the champion yet?
  • Options
    thats on ly long list of to try. too many cigars. not enough time!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    I hope its good, I have one resting that my Battalion Commander gave me as a going away thing when I left Iraq.
  • Options
    I like it. honduran tobacco is some of my favorite. and for the price you cant really go wrong.