Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A Quiz for Baseball Fans

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the answer boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGmWv57klQ

The runner was given the base. The ruling is confirmed correct. Although I was correct about the players not knowing about the rule either. (the runner Chavez clearly tagged up not knowing and Rivera was like "DUDE Hurry" lol) That was fun fellas. Let's do it again
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Here's the answer boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGmWv57klQ

The runner was given the base. The ruling is confirmed correct. Although I was correct about the players not knowing about the rule either. (the runner Chavez clearly tagged up not knowing and Rivera was like "DUDE Hurry" lol) That was fun fellas. Let's do it again
    Yup, I just found a discussion of this on a little league umpire forum. Going over the home run wall works the same as any other. In the Buhner play, it seems like either there were no runners or 2 outs (hard to tell, but he makes no effort to get the ball in quickly, so I figure one or the other is true), so runners advancing would be irrelevant and the batter would be out. Had there been fewer than two outs and runners on base, though, they'd have been allowed to advance one base like Chavez did here.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    BUT, and this is where my confusion came from, to make a legal catch out of bounds you have to make the catch before being out of bounds, which is defined as two feet down out of bounds. So you cannot jump the low fence and then make the catch further back in the bullpen because that would not be a legal catch and therefore a home run.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGmWv57klQ

Posting the link for the lazy. I'm not sure anybody else is really watching this thread but us. lol

• Options
    Lol. Not lazy, just don't know how. Maybe lazy looking up how to lol.

I love this stuff man. I can seriously talk baseball all day everyday. Btw Ken, who's your team?
  • Options
    danielzreyes:

I love this stuff man. I can seriously talk baseball all day everyday. Btw Ken, who's your team?
    Yankees. But I'm a real Yankees fan, I went to hundreds of games in the 80s and early 90s when they were terrible! lol
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

Yankees. But I'm a real Yankees fan, I went to hundreds of games in the 80s and early 90s when they were terrible! lol
    Wasn't talking about you Daniel. I was talking about the non baseball fanatics that run across the thread and don't feel like checking out the videos elsewhere.
    Btw...on a pc click the share link below the video. Select embedded and make sure you check the old code check box under embedded. Copy and paste and your golden.

Ken...the best fans love their team even if they suck IMO. Lol. Sounds like you play a little too?
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

Wasn't talking about you Daniel. I was talking about the non baseball fanatics that run across the thread and don't feel like checking out the videos elsewhere.
    Btw...on a pc click the share link below the video. Select embedded and make sure you check the old code check box under embedded. Copy and paste and your golden.

Ken...the best fans love their team even if they suck IMO. Lol. Sounds like you play a little too?
    Played baseball from whenever I was allowed to start tee ball through Jr. High and then senior year of high school. Break through college, then started playing softball in grad school, been doing that 10 years this summer.
    How 'bout you guys?
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

Played baseball from whenever I was allowed to start tee ball through Jr. High and then senior year of high school. Break through college, then started playing softball in grad school, been doing that 10 years this summer.
    How 'bout you guys?
    played on and off K-6th, played softball every Sat. my college days, Now an avid softball player in diff leagues in nearby cities.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

How 'bout you guys?
    played on and off K-6th, played softball every Sat. my college days, Now an avid softball player in diff leagues in nearby cities.
    played through freshman year in HS. I guess I was a better watcher then player. Lost my spot sophomore year to the incoming freshmen catcher. I've been tossing around the thought of softball for a while now. Cant find a league I want to get involved in yet. Toss the ball around with my brother all the time.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

How 'bout you guys?
    played through freshman year in HS. I guess I was a better watcher then player. Lost my spot sophomore year to the incoming freshmen catcher. I've been tossing around the thought of softball for a while now. Cant find a league I want to get involved in yet. Toss the ball around with my brother all the time.
    Can I jump in...I started at 9 and played through High School, best times of my life was football and baseball, a great escape!
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    ddubridge:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

How 'bout you guys?
    Can I jump in...I started at 9 and played through High School, best times of my life was football and baseball, a great escape!
    The more the merrier Jim. Who's your team?
  • Options
    I know I know

• Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing ball since I can remember, I have a lot of respect for student athletes way they juggle school and sports. I myself Recieved a scholorship to Ohio U Bobcats to play ball, played my Freshman year but couldn't handle school and ball so I never played again and list my scholarship. Those were some great times .
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    ddubridge:
    Ken Light:
    danielzreyes:

How 'bout you guys?
    Just jump in and play softball. I wasn't very good for most of my childhood, played mostly 2nd base and right field, and not very well, couldn't hit great, but was small I'd scrunch down and walk a lot, lol. Senior year of high school I was in a prep school with no competition and played mostly 3B and LF and started, but like I said there was really no competition there. Now that I'm older I'm in probably the top 5% of players in the softball league, and most of them are college/grad students 5-15 years younger than me. There's something about softball that ends up less athleticism and more experience and knowledge that really gives an old timer a cool advantage.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    I know I know

Now that's just mean.
  • Options
    Kind of an insteresting rule in action. From the Yahoo sports page:

The wonderful thing about baseball is that even the impossible is still possible.

For example, during the Midland Rock Hounds (Oakland A's) Double-A battle against the Corpus Christi Hooks (Houston Astros) on Friday night, Rock Hounds third baseman Vinnie Catricala pulled off something so rarely seen, I had to triple check to make a sure it actually existed.

In one single pitch, Catricala struck out against Nick Tropeano.

You read that correctly. One pitch.

And no, Catricala didn't pinch-hit for an injured teammate and assume his count. He straight up struck out on one pitch because he elected to dispute a strike call and then took his sweet time getting back in the batter's box. This drew the ire of home plate umpire Ron Teague, who then decided Catricala was in violation of Rule 6.02 (c), which reads as follows.

If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out

Comment: The umpire shall give the batter a reasonable opportunity to take his proper position in the batter’s box after the umpire has called a strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(c) and before the umpire calls a successive strike pursuant to Rule 6.02(c).

The question now is: Did Teague give the batter a reasonable opportunity to step back into the box?
    From the Crawfish Boxes:

Nine point four seconds. That's how long it took to turn Vinnie Catricala into an historical footnote.

3.9 seconds after Catricala stepped out of the box, the umpire invoked Rule 6.02 (c) and called an automatic strike. When Catricala didn't step back into the box, Teague rang him up. All told, he spent 9.4 seconds outside of the batter's box.

My take: Everybody overreacted. I didn't think the original strike call was bad, but I feel like Catricala's reaction was fairly tame. Perhaps the fact that he stepped out right about the time Tropeano came set for his next delivery played a role in Teague's call, but he certainly needed a moment to collect himself. Also, if you're going to invoke a rule so few even knew existed, a little more leeway would seem appropriate.

Then again, it was kind of cool to actually see a one-pitch strikeout, so maybe I'm the one overreacting.
  • Options
    Verrrry interesting.
  • Options
    All we need is a rule that says if a pitcher takes too long the umpire can call a ball, and the liberal use of both rules, and we can have 2 hour games.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    All we need is a rule that says if a pitcher takes too long the umpire can call a ball, and the liberal use of both rules, and we can have 2 hour games.
    yes! (John Lackey)
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)
    8.04 When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call ?Ball.? The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball. The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)
    8.04 When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call ?Ball.? The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball. The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.
    Well would you look at that. Good stuff.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)
    No rule changes necessary then, just better enforcement! Who knew?
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)
    Doesn't stop the "1 million pick attempts as the bullpen warms up" tactic, but is better than nothing.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)
    Doesn't stop the "1 million pick attempts as the bullpen warms up" tactic, but is better than nothing.
    That can't be stopped. If you limit the number, eventually you run out and the guy can just get a huge lead. Even if you don't run out, if he knows you only have one left...just not possible, unfortunately. I feel like that's more rare and less disruptive.

One issue here is that sometimes the suspense is fun. Full counts. Bases loaded situations. Tie games with runners in scoring position. Bottom of the ninth or extra innings. I feel like in all these spots the umpires should have the discretion not to call extra balls and strikes for delays. I like the extra 10 seconds of holding my breath. :)
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)
    That can't be stopped. If you limit the number, eventually you run out and the guy can just get a huge lead. Even if you don't run out, if he knows you only have one left...just not possible, unfortunately. I feel like that's more rare and less disruptive.

One issue here is that sometimes the suspense is fun. Full counts. Bases loaded situations. Tie games with runners in scoring position. Bottom of the ninth or extra innings. I feel like in all these spots the umpires should have the discretion not to call extra balls and strikes for delays. I like the extra 10 seconds of holding my breath. :)
    I've never witnessed this rule get enforced. I think that Ump had a Gurkha the night before.
  • Options
    BTW, #5 was again displayed true at an Angel game a few nights ago. It was an awesome catch by J.B. Shuck.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    Ken Light:
    jthanatos:
    danielzreyes:
    Ken Light:
    yes! (John Lackey)

I don't disagree about tension building and that there isn't much to be done. And that a pick off attempt is at least action where there is a chance of something unexpected happening. I guess I am just a little ADHD when it comes to flow breaking stuff in sports. Things like clock management and player are icing are interesting to discuss in theory, but just bore me to tears when it happens in game. Just personal tastes.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Interesting Rule,, I think the Ump was on a power trip and over reacted. I would of covered his shoes with some dirt, and spit my gum at him,,,lol
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Bump. We had some good debates and learned something about the game, so figured I'd bump.