Home General Discussion

Birthday Box

brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
My birthday is coming up and I expect that my parents will be handing me a $150 check as they always do on my birthday and I would like to turn that into at least 1 box of cigars and a couple of 5 packs. I have never bought a box before, so this will be my first box.

So my question to all of you is this:

Given price constraints of under $100 for a box, what box would you buy as your first box of cigars? Know that i will be going to cigar.com to get pricing on said box but open to going to the bidding sites to acquire this box, so even average prices there count. Don't worry about what I like at this current moment, just give me what you would buy if you had a $100 bill set aside for a box of cigars.

or if you can't find a box in that price range what would you do with $100?

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd go for either a box of 5V AAA or a box of each of the MoW PA wrappers.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Saison by Oliva - Torpedo or Diesel Unlimited d.X
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Box of Oliva V Melanios or AF short stories...but the short stories may be over the 100 now.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Saison by Oliva
    1+
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I just looked over your bio and saw that many of your favorites, have been ( or still are) my favorites. A cigar that really caught my attention lately is the Ramon Bueso Odyssey. which I intend to make my next box purchase. By the way forum members get a special Birthday discount. Watch for that e-mail.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    You guys keep tossing out great cigars....that I haven't tried. I was thinking about the Olivia Vs though. Even though I haven't tried one. I have an odyssey waiting for me to try, so I'll check that out within the next couple days.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Padron X000 series
    bbass2:
    Padron X000 series
    this was one of the ones i was thinking......i have really liked the ones that i have tried.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Would you consider ISOM's? A 10 ct box of PSD4 is under a hundo.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of great ideas, ill add Obsidian either blend and Black Crown
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:

Agreed..... OR... you could jump on a bunch of 5ers from the place we need not mention. Grab some low end, mid range and some high and see what you like.
    Vision:
    SleevePlz:

Agreed..... OR... you could jump on a bunch of 5ers from the place we need not mention. Grab some low end, mid range and some high and see what you like.
    i've been doing the 5ers and samplers and will continue that with my available cash that i get every now and again.

There are only 2 times a year where i can buy a box. Birthday and Christmas. I get the idea behind getting 5ers and the like, but i want to buy a box partially because i want to take a portion of them and stick them somewhere and not touch them for a year to see how they aged. I can't/won't do that with 5ers.

ISOM not out of the question, but I think i would rather stick with NCs.

not the biggest fan of the obsidians that i have had a chance to taste. I have a few of them in the bottom of a humidor that i am going to leave alone for a while because I heard that they are better aged.
    An inexpensive box for aging you say??..... Diesel UHC or 5 Vegas Cask. If you can still find boxes of the 5 Vegas Miami... worth it.
    Vision:
    An inexpensive box for aging you say??..... Diesel UHC or 5 Vegas Cask. If you can still find boxes of the 5 Vegas Miami... worth it.
    the diesel was on my radar, as was the cask. I was also thinking Man O War.......which is a little more than 100, but close enough.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Diesel unholy cocktail
    edelrionyc:
    Diesel unholy cocktail
    UHC age AMAZING. I got a box about 3ish years old and the sticks are up there with the best maduros I've had.
  • StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    There are many good boxes that ca n be bought for under $100.
    •San Lotano the bull
    •5 Vegas cask strength
    •5 vegas series A&AAA
    •5 Vegas high primings
    •5 Vegas relic
    • CAO black
    MAW side projects skull. Crusher, or 52C
    LFD Aorbender
    •MAW Rounition robusto
    •MAW Anthology sampler
    • e reynas belisco There's many more. These rvfrom an auction
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Box of El Centurions, El Titan de Bronze Redemption Maduro, Saison, San Cristobal de la Habanna, MOW PA or Skull crusher
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diesel UHC or Man O War or JdN Celebracion.
    Bigshizza:
    Box of El Centurions
    the few places i can find these for sale a box is well over $100.....you know something i don't know?
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    La Reloba Habano coronas 100 bucks on the dot, great with some age.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Bigshizza:
    Box of El Centurions
    the few places i can find these for sale a box is well over $100.....you know something i don't know?
    Well of course I do... I waste a lot of time on the Internet! PM to ya
    brianetz1:
    Bigshizza:
    Box of El Centurions

I saw a box on the place need not mentioned go for $72.... ;)
  • As a relatively new cigar smoker, I go for various samplers to get some variety and find what kind of cigars I like. A lot of samplers also contain a couple of normally more expensive sticks so you get a really good bang for your buck. The Thrifty Fifty sampler is about as good a deal as I've seen for 100 bucks, great way to fill up a humi.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    fireproof.1986@gmail.com:
    As a relatively new cigar smoker, I go for various samplers to get some variety and find what kind of cigars I like. A lot of samplers also contain a couple of normally more expensive sticks so you get a really good bang for your buck. The Thrifty Fifty sampler is about as good a deal as I've seen for 100 bucks, great way to fill up a humi.
    Sometimes its not all about filling up the humi, but finding a box of cigars you truly enjoy.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    As a relatively new cigar smoker, I go for various samplers to get some variety and find what kind of cigars I like. A lot of samplers also contain a couple of normally more expensive sticks so you get a really good bang for your buck. The Thrifty Fifty sampler is about as good a deal as I've seen for 100 bucks, great way to fill up a humi.
    Sometimes its not all about filling up the humi, but finding a box of cigars you truly enjoy.
    i agree when i started i went crzy buying samplers.now i just concentrate on what i like.buy a lot of singles to try new stuuff.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

ddubridge:
    Exactly...I am still new but it is rare that I can drop 100-150 on a single purchase and since I would t smoke about 70% if what is in that thrifty 50 no way that I would do that but for someone brand new who just wants different things to try it would be perfect. Not my style at this point.
    Welcome aboard! Eventually you'll zero in on blenders, regions, and styles that you enjoy, and you'll start buying boxes. Then the fun really begins as you start to see that blend age and hopefully change for the better over time. You might grow out of it instead, but if you stick around here a bit, you'll get familiar with the Trades, Passes and Bombs thread and will have NO problem handing them off for something you'll enjoy.
    Thanks for all the input guys. I was going with the el centurions if I could find them for around a hundred and MOW if not.

But a grinding noise coming from the car and $359 later, my box turned into new brakes. At least I know I can drive like a race car driver without killing myself now!
  • BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    brianetz1:
    Thanks for all the input guys. I was going with the el centurions if I could find them for around a hundred and MOW if not.

But a grinding noise coming from the car and $359 later, my box turned into new brakes. At least I know I can drive like a race car driver without killing myself now!
    LOL! $359 for brakes?! you really must have been driving like a race car driver !