Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Is anyone else just plain done?

I'm curious to hear people's thought on this. Is anyone else just plain done with AJ Fernandez? The more I smoke his stuff I'm just more and more disappointed.

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I've enjoyed just about every AJF stick that I have had and plan to continue to stock them. They are also priced really well. I have given up on Viaje for the time being, though.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Not me. Just had my first San Lotano Oval a week or so ago and really liked that. Tried My first MOW (Ruination) a few weeks before that. I've enjoyed some of his blends even before I ever heard of the man, Diesel Shorty and Ave Maria. So if you want you can throw in any extra AJs ya' got in the pass. LOL
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    CigarMan37:
    I'm curious to hear people's thought on this. Is anyone else just plain done with AJ Fernandez? The more I smoke his stuff I'm just more and more disappointed.
    It depends on what you mean by "disappointed".
    If it's a "flavor" issue, then maybe your palate has changed somewhat?
    If it's a "performance" issue (construction, burn, draw, etc), well that just may be a a bad string of sticks, or possibly they're too dry or too moist (unlikely).

I hope it's not both flavor and performance.
    For me, I noticed several cigars that I used to like a lot (JdN El Martillo, Oliva O, Padilla Black Bear, etc.) , that no longer "do it" for me.........I still smoke them, but don't like them nearly as much as I did a few years back...............changing palate.

As others have noted, imo, AJ makes good cigars at solid price points, and if you're patient and know where to look, you can really score from time to time.

Obviously not every AJ stick will be a winner, as I noted with my disappointment with the MoW Special Edition Figurado. (But I'm going to smoke 2 more before I brand them duds for my purposes.)

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    His blends have a specific kick to them, probably his secret family filler as he calls it. Either way, it tends to overpower the palate many times and is in many of his sticks. Some people like it, some do not. I used to love his stuff, but I was mistaking body for flavor, same with DPG. Now i smoke very little of either, but AJ has some fantastic blends out there. I'd say his biggest problem is he does too much cheapo internet stuff. His San Latano line is excellent, even though I am not a fan. The SL conny lance is wicked good, the Crucible was excellent, and the Phalanx is excellent as well. His blending is for the ligero lovers out there really, and fits the mold of the bold Nica profile. Guys like me find it hard to finish most of his stuff, but everyone is different, and that's the beauty and mystery of this hobby...
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    AJs higher end stuff is gold. Like the San Lotano line, MoW line (minus the virtue), and the Ave Maria... I feel like I'm missing one though.
    But the everyday gars he blends I don't care for many of those. The 1884, and the San Miguel being the big exceptions I can think of.
    But the La Henrencia line I will pass on all day everyday. Also most diesels I'll pass on.

I feel like other blenders do much better in the middle of the road stuff than he does.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its in a Corona or Lancero it usually good. Im not a fan of much of his thats over a 50 ring. Take any one of his sticks and wait 4+ years..... they get MUCH better. And on the "Higher end" stuff...... to me its all middle of the road with higher prices. The only ones you ever see in B&M is the San Lotano and Pinolero. I think some of his prices are way to high for what you get.......$15 for a Reconquista..... Really? Are AJ and JD the same person?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had many of the new stuff but I do like the MOW and the Ruination. Those would be my favorites.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Vision:
    If its in a Corona or Lancero it usually good. Im not a fan of much of his thats over a 50 ring. Take any one of his sticks and wait 4+ years..... they get MUCH better. And on the "Higher end" stuff...... to me its all middle of the road with higher prices. The only ones you ever see in B&M is the San Lotano and Pinolero. I think some of his prices are way to high for what you get.......$15 for a Reconquista..... Really? Are AJ and JD the same person?
    Atleast AJ mhas deals on the Recons. I have about 10 that I haven't paid MSRP for and same with the Armadas. Way overpriced. (15 for a corona..?) That's the nice thing about AJ that JD doesn't do. I think AJs sticks are out of the norm spectrum of flavors and rely heavily on a lot of the same ones like pepper and leathery notes. I am interested in the SL connies though. Seems like an interesting combo with the Full-body filler and the light wrapper.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    CigarMan37:
    I'm curious to hear people's thought on this. Is anyone else just plain done with Gurkha? The more I smoke their stuff I'm just more and more disappointed.

fixed it for ya.

and yes i AM done with Gurkha. never again.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    His blends have a specific kick to them, probably his secret family filler as he calls it. Either way, it tends to overpower the palate many times and is in many of his sticks. Some people like it, some do not. I used to love his stuff, but I was mistaking body for flavor, same with DPG. Now i smoke very little of either, but AJ has some fantastic blends out there. I'd say his biggest problem is he does too much cheapo internet stuff. His San Latano line is excellent, even though I am not a fan. The SL conny lance is wicked good, the Crucible was excellent, and the Phalanx is excellent as well. His blending is for the ligero lovers out there really, and fits the mold of the bold Nica profile. Guys like me find it hard to finish most of his stuff, but everyone is different, and that's the beauty and mystery of this hobby...
    i agree with almost everything here. i dont find his stuff hard to finish even though i have been trending to the mild/medium side of things.
    i just have to be in the mood for it and be prepared for it.
    there are many times where a 5 Vegas AAA is just what i need in my life.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    CigarMan37:
    I'm curious to hear people's thought on this. Is anyone else just plain done with Gurkha? The more I smoke their stuff I'm just more and more disappointed.

fixed it for ya.

I wondered if this was coming.

still like A.J. myself, mostly. Looked at the Weekend Blitz, Gurkha Beast, and thought "Couple years ago I'd have jumped on that", not now. Don't like buying 20 cigars and only being able to smoke 10 of them.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    CigarMan37:

fixed it for ya.

I wondered if this was coming.

still like A.J. myself, mostly. Looked at the Weekend Blitz, Gurkha Beast, and thought "Couple years ago I'd have jumped on that", not now. Don't like buying 20 cigars and only being able to smoke 10 of them.
    I'm good with AJ, got a fair amount in long term storeage, I haven't found any of his stuff that I truly don't like. 50% ? that's AWESOME dude, what is your seceret trick to acheive that?
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    (thread jack on)
    but.........but...............but.........uh..... Not too long ago you said that a Centurian with a year plus on it was a Gurkha you enjoyed?
    (it's on here somewhere......I'm too lazy to find it)

aaaand, based on the Kuzinator's high praise, a year and a half ago I went out and bought a 6-pack from big sister!
    waaaahhhh!!!!!!

Well, here's what I wrote on another Forum, which sums it up:

I had a Centurian a while back......had 18 months of rest.......
    It was very.......um............................had a rather strong cedar profile...............and there was this other flavor....................think it was cedar...................and there were hints of this spice, no, not spice per se........but............kind of a cedary spice...........and some bland tobacco notes here and there......
    Definitely worth about 75 cents............

On a serious note............there was one Centurian in that six-pack I paid $18 for (ouch!!)......that actually was decent........and I'd pay $3 for it again if I could be certain to get one like that again.......but alas.................we're talking Gurkhaaaaaaa.

(thread jack off.....apologies to the OP)
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    willing to trade anyone out of their AJ blends. I love them...still.

I was thinking this would end like other "loves" I've had but I cant get enough of his stuff. I even like the forum blend.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I like the brand and have liked them for years...they are a good brand but with cigars sometimes they aren't for everyone. I even know people who don't like Opus or Cohiba Espys...hard to figger that out but we all have different tastes.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I like aj's coronas! But they do need a bit of humi time.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I like the brand and have liked them for years...they are a good brand but with cigars sometimes they aren't for everyone. I even know people who don't like Opus or Cohiba Espys...hard to figger that out but we all have different tastes.
    i don't like Opus or cohiba in general, other then the behike. To each his own lol
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I really really like San Lotano Habanos. So, there you go!
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I like aj's coronas! But they do need a bit of humi time.
    +1. Never had an AJ ROTT that I liked. Never had an aged AJ I didn't. So I don't buy many, cause I am impatient.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Never had an AJ ROTT that I liked. Never had an aged AJ I didn't. So I don't buy many, cause I am impatient.
    Interesting.
    I just realized I never smoke any AJ smoke, until it has at least 6 months on it, except mowpas, I'll fire those up after three months.
    I did have a Ruination Robusto yesterday that had 1.5 years on it.........................very very good.
    I'm definitely NOT done with AJ.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    CigarMan37:
    It depends on what you mean by "disappointed".
    If it's a "flavor" issue, then maybe your palate has changed somewhat?
    If it's a "performance" issue (construction, burn, draw, etc), well that just may be a a bad string of sticks, or possibly they're too dry or too moist (unlikely).

I hope it's not both flavor and performance.
    I'm still curious as to the answer to this question. What is it that is disappointing?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    CigarMan37:

fixed it for ya.

lmao,, had a san lotano oval last night ,in the humi over a year is was very good!
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I like a lot of his (Original AJ question lol) stuff, Diesel, San Lotano, Ruination, etc. Not everything but everyone has different taste. Over time I will change and like something else.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Nope, i like everything he does except the LHC Core.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    You probably don't have anymore, but if you do, try this:
    1) dry box 6+ hours
    2) v-cut parallel to the long side of the press
    3) take soft draws, but enough to keep it lit of course, purge once in a while

The Core is a much "tastier" cigar to me when I do the above, as opposed to smoking it like most other cigars I smoke.
    The Core is finicky.....overheats easily, can canoe sometimes, etc.
    But with just a little attention, it can reveal some interesting nuances.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I dunno...other than the San Latano Oval I haven't really been blown away by AJ's brands.

The two different Man 'O War brands I tried (forgot which ones) were quite pleasant but nothing spectacular and certainly worth $6-7 a stick.

The one Diesel I tried I think I initially responded favorable to the full body and smoke output, but in retrospect I found the flavor lacking in complexity. And it gave me a tummy ache.

I've tried three different sizes of LHC Cores and couldn't get past the first third. A tasteless, newspapery chore.

The one Ave Maria I tried was a complete dud. Nothing remarkable about it all.

I had high hopes for the Pinolero, but at best I found it pleasant, but nothing I would go out and order more.

Now this may have more to do with my own limited flavor profile, which gravitates toward cigars that are less smooth, more full-bodied, spicier, and have more 'nutty'/'sweet' flavors rather than earthy/peaty flavors. Of all of AJ's brands, the SL Oval is the only one I've smokes that meets my profile.

Now, I didn't age any of these, but then again, I haven't aged the brands I liked either.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Cigary:
    i don't like Opus or cohiba in general, other then the behike. To each his own lol
    Although I have never tried the Behike, I feel the same. Not a fan of Opus or any other Cohibas I have tried.

roland_7707:

Again, to show the difference of palates, this is by far my favorite AJ offering, lol.

I never have been a huge fan of AJ's stuff. I put him in pretty much the same category as Gurkha and RP. A huge variety of stuff, some of its okay, some of its bad, and there are just a few gems in the lot. As I said above, the LHC Core is my favorite by him; the MOW PA and the San Lotano Habano are some other notable blends. I know I am way in the minority here, but none of the MOW blends really appealed to me (except the PA) and I think all the LHC (except the CORE) line is horrible.

That being said, I wouldn't say I'm done with his stuff. I'll smoke the Cores as long as they are being produced, and if he comes out with any other new stuff that seems to be interesting or otherwise piques my curiosity, I'll definitely give them a shot. Its just like Gurkha, I ultimately am not a fan of their stuff, but I really want to try the Cellar Reserve right now, as I have read alot of good stuff about them.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    roland_7707:
    1) dry box 6+ hours

The Core is a much "tastier" cigar to me when I do the above, as opposed to smoking it like most other cigars I smoke.
    You know, on one hand, I think it is awesome that a smoke can change so much with these steps. On the other... if you make a cigar that is 10 bucks a stick, I don't expect to have to wine and dine the thing for it to put out.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... I started to put some sticks in the new Wineador.... and hhhoooolllllly hellllll I have a ton of AJs stuff aging.... didnt know I had that much.... I guess.... No.... I am not wheres close to done seeing as I have about 100 of his sticks.... LOL
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    roland_7707:
    1) dry box 6+ hours

too much work.

im out.