Options

Is anyone else just plain done?

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    KingoftheCove:
    roland_7707:
    Nope, i like everything he does except the LHC Core.
    You probably don't have anymore, but if you do, try this:
    1) dry box 6+ hours
    2) v-cut parallel to the long side of the press
    3) take soft draws, but enough to keep it lit of course, purge once in a while

The Core is a much "tastier" cigar to me when I do the above, as opposed to smoking it like most other cigars I smoke.
    The Core is finicky.....overheats easily, can canoe sometimes, etc.
    But with just a little attention, it can reveal some interesting nuances.
    too much work.

im out.
    If i get another one I'll try that. Thanks.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    If you make a cigar that is 10 bucks a stick, I don't expect to have to wine and dine the thing for it to put out.
    Whoops. Didn't read the SL. Thought this was about hookers... .:)
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I went through a period where I absolutely loved everything AJ did, bought into the hype, and looked at everything he touched with love goggles. Then I went through a period where I was completely done with his stuff, and none of it seemed to satisfy me at all. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle now. I don't actively seek out his products, especially the catalog sticks, even though some of them are good and worth trying. I like his San Lotano line, and I'm curious about the Pinolero. Beyond that, I don't really smoke his cigars anymore. I'm also not a huge Nicaraguan tobacco fan, though I do like it for variety sometimes.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still a big AJ fan. Not so much on the original MOW or the original Ave Maria. But I really dig pretty much everything else. The Dagger I feel is the best in the Core line. Love that stick.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    AJ is easy to love or dislike......I think he is ok, but I do find that the VAST majority of his sticks that he is involved with, while not exactly the same....may as well be.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Like all cigar makers (except Gurkha, hate all of them) he does stuff I like, and stuff I don't like.
  • Options
    Good to see ya back gypsy
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Good to see ya back gypsy
    Thanks, I drop by now and then
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    fla-gypsy:
    Like all cigar makers (except Gurkha, hate all of them) he does stuff I like, and stuff I don't like.
    Whats with all the Gurkha hate?
    Also Glad to see you around man. It's been soooooooo long.

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    I'm still a big AJ fan. Not so much on the original MOW or the original Ave Maria. But I really dig pretty much everything else. The Dagger I feel is the best in the Core line. Love that stick.

Same here. I only tried the dagger because they had a 10-pack on a DD a while back, but I must say its my favorite size in the line now.
    stephen_hannibal:
    fla-gypsy:
    Whats with all the Gurkha hate?
    Also Glad to see you around man. It's been soooooooo long.

Yeah man, what gives? I dislike more than I like by them, sure, but they have so many different lines, I can't see someone not liking ANY of their sticks. The Symphony was always one of my favorite Connies, the Signature 101 Maduro is very good, the Royal Brigade is a very tasty Cameroon, the Regent is awesome, etc. I have heard really good things about the Cellar Reserve too, I really want to give them a try.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Just a little side step to say Hey Gypsy.. Nice to see your okay. Back on track. I don't hate everything any Label makes. I can fine some good cigars with NEARLY every label. With one exception. hint V.S. At least I haven't found one there, yet.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kaspera79:
    fla-gypsy:
    Just a little side step to say Hey Gypsy.. Nice to see your okay. Back on track. I don't hate everything any Label makes. I can fine some good cigars with NEARLY every label. With one exception. hint V.S. At least I haven't found one there, yet.
    Hate's such a harsh word Gypsy. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in the gypsum business. I heard about some new, cool drywall applications for sound and moisture. I think it was from American Gypsum. Anyway, back to the topic. I kinda enjoy those big mambo jumbos, Beauty, Titan, etc, just cause they make a lot of smoke. But Gurkhas don't really have any distinct flavor profiles. All over the place in my opinion. FWIW, I'm presently smoking an AJ Armada with a year and a half rest. It is simply amazing.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    kaspera79:
    fla-gypsy:
    Hate's such a harsh word Gypsy. Good to hear from you. Hope all is well in the gypsum business. I heard about some new, cool drywall applications for sound and moisture. I think it was from American Gypsum. Anyway, back to the topic. I kinda enjoy those big mambo jumbos, Beauty, Titan, etc, just cause they make a lot of smoke. But Gurkhas don't really have any distinct flavor profiles. All over the place in my opinion. FWIW, I'm presently smoking an AJ Armada with a year and a half rest. It is simply amazing.

I think "hate" is the perfect word for Gurkha. Dont get me wrong... I like smoking them... I hate the cracking wrappers 2 inches into a Chuchill..... I hate the uneven burn. I hate the plugging....... but I do enjoy when I get to smoke the entire cigar..... even if the flavor is "muddy" and non-descript.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    CigarMan37:
    I'm curious to hear people's thought on this. Is anyone else just plain done with AJ Fernandez? The more I smoke his stuff I'm just more and more disappointed.
    Nope. I still like several of AJ's blends. I will ALWAYS keep Diesel UHC on hand with some age on them. I also keep Ruinations and 5V AAA on deck at all times too.

AJ has made some blends that I don't care for, but so has literally every other cigar blender on the planet.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    BigT06:
    CigarMan37:
    I'm curious to hear people's thought on this. Is anyone else just plain done with AJ Fernandez? The more I smoke his stuff I'm just more and more disappointed.
    Nope. I still like several of AJ's blends. I will ALWAYS keep Diesel UHC on hand with some age on them. I also keep Ruinations and 5V AAA on deck at all times too.

Agreed and that has been my exact lineup though when I restock I may go with the Puro Authentico or Little Devil.
  • Options
    There are a few that im not very happy with, the Pinelero line (i think im spelling that right) was a dud for me after smoking a few of them. Im not a big fan of some of the MOW but the Puro Authentico is amazing along with the Ruination. I still find that his blends interest me each time i smoke them but i will say that i am past the point that i was at over a year ago where i thought that his blends were the end all be all for cigars. Since trying a lot of other blenders (Pepin, Fuente, etc.) and branching out a bit ive realized that he's good but there is a lot of other good stuff too.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Sunday I smoked an 18 month old mowpa natural.......................................very very very very very good.....................definitely still into AJs stuff.

The thing about lots of AJs products is if you know where to look at how to buy/bid.......you can get many of his cigars for $2.00-$3.50, lay them down for a year (his blends age very well), and you'd swear you were smoking a $5 - $8 cigar...
    that's one of the reason I love AJ's stuff................(I'm on a budget)

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This should have been the first warning.Good thing I was in school and missed this.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I'm just getting started... San Lotano Habano and Pinolero are at the top of the list of last years best finds.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    I'm just getting started... San Lotano Habano and Pinolero are at the top of the list of last years best finds.
    Love the Pinolero and most of his stuff. Anybody tried the Spectre yet?
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    The Pinolero 10 packs are on the sprint sale at a nice discount and the San Lotano Habano toro's were in a recent email sale from Ccom. Have you tried San Lotano "The Bull"?? I had one ROTT and it was stronger than what I normally like to smoke so I'll let 'em sit in the humi until summer rolls around and try 'em again. They're also on the Ccom sprint sale.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    The Pinolero 10 packs are on the sprint sale at a nice discount and the San Lotano Habano toro's were in a recent email sale from Ccom. Have you tried San Lotano "The Bull"?? I had one ROTT and it was stronger than what I normally like to smoke so I'll let 'em sit in the humi until summer rolls around and try 'em again. They're also on the Ccom sprint sale.
    I think a little rest will help these as well. I've got a Lot of AJ's napping now! I picked up some of the San Lotano Habano's from a BOTL with a couple of years on em, Awesomeness!
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    CigarMan37:
    Never had em. Are they terrible?
  • Options
    Darktower007:
    CigarMan37:
    The worst.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Darktower007:
    CigarMan37:
    The worst.
    really really ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Rain:
    Darktower007:
    CigarMan37:
    The worst.
    Rain, i will happily take any you dont like off your hands. Lol
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Rain:
    Darktower007:
    CigarMan37:
    The worst.
    NO
  • Options
    Rain:
    roland_7707:
    Rain:
    Darktower007:
    CigarMan37:
    The worst.
    NO
    Thought so.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    To me, very simply put, AJF is EASILY the best cigar blender and manufacturer in the business today. I've been smoking cigars on a daily basis for 30 plus years. No one else comes even close.

What some smokers seem to forget is a simple fact, taste is 100% subjective. Smoke what you enjoy, and leave the rest. Nothing else matters.

AJF was mentored by one of the biggest legends in modern cigar history. He soaked up what he was taught and has since created one of the very" best of the best" cigar manufacturing businesses operating today. Quality, consistency, brands, variety, pricing, and availability. He's nailed them all and is now running a well oiled machine.

This of course is just my opinion, the only one that counts, to me.

Tip of the cap to AJF, my main cigar man. A true modern day legend!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    jesseliverless:
    To me, very simply put, AJF is EASILY the best cigar blender and manufacturer in the business today. I've been smoking cigars on a daily basis for 30 plus years. No one else comes even close.

What some smokers seem to forget is a simple fact, taste is 100% subjective. Smoke what you enjoy, and leave the rest. Nothing else matters.

AJF was mentored by one of the biggest legends in modern cigar history. He soaked up what he was taught and has since created one of the very" best of the best" cigar manufacturing businesses operating today. Quality, consistency, brands, variety, pricing, and availability. He's nailed them all and is now running a well oiled machine.

This of course is just my opinion, the only one that counts, to me.

Tip of the cap to AJF, my main cigar man. A true modern day legend!

Nice first post...