Home General Discussion
Options

Types

Whats your preference of a cigar. Do you like them long or short, thick or thin ? Like I said in one of my post im still learning an experimenting the difference and styles of a cigar. I'm a rookie still.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I like coronas and Lanceros myself.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    I like coronas and Lanceros myself.
    yes
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    my preference is robusto
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a lancero once and really enjoyed it. Lol. Really though, my preference is lanceros, coronas, and lonsdales. To contradict that, one of my absolute favorites is the LFD Salomon. So vitola is important, but keep an open mind.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Robustos and Churchills I think.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    robusto for me. not a fan of the sub 50rg at this point.
  • Options
    bluezulubluezulu Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    Robustos, or double robustos. I do not like Churchill's, the draw is almost always horrible.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I like lanceros, coronas, lonsdales, and churchills (when the ring is small). I really like the size to be 48 or below down around 30 is OK, much lower than that and I think the cigar starts to suffer. Length really depends on time and the cigar itself.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Varies from cigar to cigar, but my humidor seems to be full of either coronas or robustos... take that as you will.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Coronas, double coronas, robustos, double perfecto and anything with a good box press.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 x 70s!!!!!!
    The bigger the better!!!!!!!

;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!

;-)
    So this would be right up your alley?

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!

;-)

is that considered long filler or short filler?
  • Options
    Rice_CrispyRice_Crispy Posts: 42
    willing to try it. lol
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    i prefer corona anything up to a 47-50 ring, once in a while ill splurge ans smoke something bigger, prefer habano wrapper and maduro
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robusto enjoys the virtue of virtual ubiquity; which is to say, most every blend does come in that vitola. So if you want to compare apples to apples in duration, burn, ratio of filler to wrapper, feel, construction, and so forth, then that's the way to go.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Robusto enjoys the virtue of virtual ubiquity; which is to say, most every blend does come in that vitola. So if you want to compare apples to apples in duration, burn, ratio of filler to wrapper, feel, construction, and so forth, then that's the way to go.

This is a great point, especially for one starting out.

The two things to consider when choosing a size are wrapper influence and smoke time. Starting out, smoke time might be the more important of the two. Obviously shorter smoke quicker than longer, and thinner tend to smoke quicker than fatter.

Important note: you need to smoke thinner cigars slower and draw less vigorously because they are more prone to tar build up. Generally very thin cigars like lanceros have a bit of a learning curve, while anything over 50 or 55 ring gauge is virtually fool-proof (within reason).

Wrapper influence is another simple thing to consider. The thinner the smoke, the more of that cigar is wrapper, therefore the bigger influence it has over flavor. Since wrappers are the biggest contributor to flavor to begin with, this really starts to matter with thinner cigars. If you're going with a bigger ring gauge, it's best to pick a flavorful wrapper that can stand the more limited wrapper to filler ratio.

For me, I try to keep stock of the size I prefer for a particular smoke as best possible, so when I pick something from the humidor (I have a wide variety), it's usually based on smoke time for size. I have a wife, dog, and a house. So I usually go for a corona. ;D
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfecto's. Best of all worlds. After that, Churchills
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I'm more on board with Lanceros, Panatelas, coronas etc.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    love me some robustos, but have been smoking alot of lanceros lately
  • Options
    Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!

;-)

I could smoke that in an hour!
  • Options
    I typically like anything larger than a robusto. To me if you're gonna spend the money...spend the extra 50 cents to get a larger size. Though if you are a busy person that might not be too practical.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My list is figurado,corona,lancero and robusto. Sometimes a toro hits the spot but I'm a short and sweet kinda guy that likes the difference in wrapper and blend change
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    I typically like anything larger than a robusto. To me if you're gonna spend the money...spend the extra 50 cents to get a larger size. Though if you are a busy person that might not be too practical.
    man for the extra .50 you get a lot more crap lol smaller is better IMO cigars are never really a bang for your buck!! Only few ever really are
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    It depends on the cigar for me. I tend to buy the robustos first because they seem to be the most common. I like to try cigars in different sizes because it does effect the taste in a lot of cases. For instance I love the Ramon Bueso Genisis in a toro. It has this wonder full sweet spot about an inch an a half in. I do not like the robusto as much because it just doesnt have the same transition to me. Same thing for the Room 101 daruma. Love it in a lancero. Still good in a church hill but not as good as the lance.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a 6x50-54.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    perfectos, then lonsdales, then coronas, then grand coronas, toros.
    medium body is where i like to stay generally speaking but i do go out of thaqt quite often. i just find that medium is where most of my favorites are.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:

This just doesnt sit will for me...... So you would much rather 2lbs of Chuck Roast then an 8oz Filet??...... Its not all about "WOW Cool 90 Ring Brah" Flavor profiles can be dramatically different from one Vitola to the next in the same exact line of cigars. There is a reason most Lanceros are more money then 6X60s in the same line....
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rice Crispy:
    Whats your preference of a cigar. Do you like them long or short, thick or thin ? Like I said in one of my post im still learning an experimenting the difference and styles of a cigar. I'm a rookie still.
    Lancero/Panatela - Corona - Robusto - Toro - Perfecto. I like my women thick and cigars skinny. Try them all from thick to thin short to long. I will say I have zero want to try a 70 ring.... heII.. I dont care for 58+ ring size.
  • Options
    I just seem to enjoy a larger size than a robusto. I feel I'm done with it too quick. Toro is a perfect size. There are cigars I enjoy as a 6x60 (RP Vintage Cameroon for instance). The one Lancero I had I didn't enjoy. Not that it was a lancero but it was the blend I didnt like. The CAIN Daytona. If someone buys me a cigar or gives me one I don't complain about it. I'm just grateful they thought enough about me to get one. The Gurkha Holy Grail cigars were robustos though I loved them.