Home General Discussion
Options

Types

2»

Comments

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Jasonc1982:
    I just seem to enjoy a larger size than a robusto. I feel I'm done with it too quick. Toro is a perfect size. There are cigars I enjoy as a 6x60 (RP Vintage Cameroon for instance). The one Lancero I had I didn't enjoy. Not that it was a lancero but it was the blend I didnt like. The CAIN Daytona. If someone buys me a cigar or gives me one I don't complain about it. I'm just grateful they thought enough about me to get one. The Gurkha Holy Grail cigars were robustos though I loved them.
    Youll buy and smoke what we want you to smoke Damnt. !!!! ;o)
    To me Ken's answer regarding wrapper and filler ratios is a great aspect. Blenders work with different ratios and some ratios work better than others dependent on the blend. On an average I buy and smoke Toro's & Robusto's, I used to favor Belicosos and Torpedos. I don't mind a Churchill but usually it wont be my first choice. I Try to keep it at 50-52 or less in rg and at or shorter than 6.5 in length, a 5.5 by 48 is my sweet spot. Throw a box press in and the ratio changes as well.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I prefer robustos and then coronas in a close second. My attention seems to go all over the place so I generally like a shorter cigar.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    The Kid:
    Jasonc1982:
    I just seem to enjoy a larger size than a robusto. I feel I'm done with it too quick. Toro is a perfect size. There are cigars I enjoy as a 6x60 (RP Vintage Cameroon for instance). The one Lancero I had I didn't enjoy. Not that it was a lancero but it was the blend I didnt like. The CAIN Daytona. If someone buys me a cigar or gives me one I don't complain about it. I'm just grateful they thought enough about me to get one. The Gurkha Holy Grail cigars were robustos though I loved them.
    Youll buy and smoke what we want you to smoke Damnt. !!!! ;o)
    To me Ken's answer regarding wrapper and filler ratios is a great aspect. Blenders work with different ratios and some ratios work better than others dependent on the blend. On an average I buy and smoke Toro's & Robusto's, I used to favor Belicosos and Torpedos. I don't mind a Churchill but usually it wont be my first choice. I Try to keep it at 50-52 or less in rg and at or shorter than 6.5 in length, a 5.5 by 48 is my sweet spot. Throw a box press in and the ratio changes as well.
    Right on for me 5.5 x 48
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Corona Gorda is ideal for me
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    Easier to say what I don't like which is the larger ring sizes.  For a guy generally acknowledged as a big mouth, I guess I don't have a big mouth.

I don't care for toros.  I'd rather either a robusto or a Churchill - for me toro, one of the most popular sizes, is an extra size in the middle.

I like, probably prefer, the entire variety of perfecto figurados.  Bouquets in that 4/4.5" x 48/50 size are a great quick smoke, and if you're going for a long smoke, might as well be a salomon as a parejo.

I think my favorite is the shape that Onyx calls the torbusto (I think).  The shape of Punch Champions, Mac Diplomats, Partagas Esplendidos and several others.

(Ought to at least give Cuban coronas a mention.)
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coronas and robustos for me please
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Just read through the thread and for all those who have posted it makes sense for those who said what they did. We're not alike in terms of what our preference is about because we all do things that we like or want. Cigars notwithstanding are tobacco in different packages and I tend to go with Churchills because they fulfill something I really like. The smaller RG cigars are good but you have to smoke them in a different way and I don't want to smoke something that only lasts for 45 to an hour. I'm retired so I can afford to sit there and smoke a delicious cigars for 2 to 3 hours and not worry that at the end of the cigar I won't be satisfied. A Robusto will not smoke the same as a Churchil and at the end of the cigar ( maybe the last 1/4 of it ) is going to smoke a little more harsh so your smoking time has ended with the first 3/4 of the cigar being enjoyable.

The churchill has been seen as a size that is not manageable and that's not fair...like a Robusto or Double Corona or even a Toro all of these can suffer from poor draws esp. if you leave it in a humidor that is sitting at 70%. I've learned that with the Churchill it's best at a 65% RH and then rested for at least a month or so before smoking. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong preference as it relates to the smoker.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to remain open minded, that being said 58 or 60 just dosen't seem to fit although I wont turn one down. for the most part I like torpedo and toro's in the morning and robusto/corona's in the eve. I do like to work thru a line and taste the difference the ratio makes, it can be a lot! A buddy was looking thru one of my humidor's, picked up a lancero and said he might be afraid to be seen in public with one! lmao!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    7 x 70s!!!!!!
    The bigger the better!!!!!!!

;-)
    So this would be right up your alley?

I'll take 2 please!!!
    LOL, j/k

60 RG is about as big as I can handle though --- those are reserved for the golf course, or other activities where I'll be out and moving around .... since they're pretty forgiving with their burn and if I "forget" about it for 5+ minutes it won't go out
    But I rarely smoke them; actually most of what I have is 54 RG or less.

But, hmm, my most smoked vitolas would probably be:

1) Robusto (tie - 1st)
    1) Corona (tie - 1st)
    3) Petit corona 4) Torpedo
    5) Toro
    6) "Nubs"
    7) Lancero

Robusto and corona are the best for just about "any occasion", IMO. And they make up most of my humi space. Robustos are probably my "favorite" just because of their versatility ....
    Petit corona are great for a quick 30-ish minute smoke (like walking the dog after work, grilling burgers, etc.)
    Torpedo or Toro if I got a couple hours to spare; especially good for relaxing on the front porch early mornings with a cup o'joe, or working in the garage.
    Lanceros if I'm in the mood and want something different.

But it really depends on the occasion, and my mood .... but that's just me.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    So this would be right up your alley?

Cut or uncut? (Bada boom!)
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    rice you need a butt kickin', why? because you have not gotten a humidor,
    yet you ask me for 5er's of cigars, where you keeping them? told you to get a tupper ill give you some beads, and you a hygro and your set, but nope lazy butt!!!
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Rice Crispy:
    Whats your preference of a cigar. Do you like them long or short, thick or thin ? Like I said in one of my post im still learning an experimenting the difference and styles of a cigar. I'm a rookie still.
    There was a time when I could name a vitola that I preferred in general... But nowadays I have a preferred vitola for pretty much every blend I smoke. For instance, the 6x60 is my favorite in Ruinations and Camacho triple maddys. But I prefer lanceros in the Oliva V, and corona gorda for most Fuente maduros.

I may just be getting more snob ish... But every cigar I buy is purchased in a specific vitola that I prefer for THAT cigar. And that varies a great deal depending on what I am smoking.