Home General Discussion
Options

Cataloging your sticks

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So i just did it to my collection... I used a Microsoft Spreadsheet... Has anyone else done this and if so what worked best in your process?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use Word and keep a journal, works for me.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I use the personal humidor on cigar aficionado's website and update as I try a new one. I don't keep the inventory numbers up to date, but tells me what i've tried and what i liked.
  • Options
    I use excel as well. That way you can sort by price and make or whatever you want. I don't catalog my collection, but I keep a dossier that way. I also keep labels in a little flipbook. I have a good number of entries, but there are many cigars I have smoked at a lounge or somewhere while I was with company and didn't take any notes. I have a different worksheet for major makers who I follow, and a misc. sheet for the rest.
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Any new stick gets a small write up in the notes of my iPhone. Nothing fancy, just a brief description of my experience. It does help as a quick reference where ever I may be
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Smart phone dumb guy app... Cigar Rater on Android... it allows me to rate review and remember what I have had and what I liked or disliked about each
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Excel for now. But with some free time I'll probably make the effort to do it right in C++ or something.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 minutes In and my head would blow up
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Stogie review app on iPhone. It has most cigars in their catalog with all the info on what types if wrappers, binders and fillers the cigar has and the ability to rate
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I gave up trying and couldn't imagine doing it with the stash some guys around here keep. I try my best to take notes when I'm smoking, but cataloging what I have? Nope. I do try to keep a record of gifted sticks, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    I think I might check out the iPhone app. See how that is and if it will work. I think I have a list of all the sticks I've smoked already.... Might have forgotten a few.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I use excel
    name, vitola, date in humi, price I paid, current count, tasting notes, my rating
    and most important...
    location! (which humi/cooler, and where in that humi/cooler

I rarely do a blind grab, or simply open a cooler/humi and look for something
    Most of the time I know what I want to smoke, and if I don't, I look at my spread sheet and decide .....................I have all the information I need, and then, I know exactly where the cigar is, and I'm not rummaging around leaving a cooler or big humi open for a few minutes, looking for that Air Bender.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I keep it simple: a little sticker with the date it came into my possession and, if it was gifted, the name of the giver. Beyond that...i'm not interested in making my cigars too analyzed.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    I started with a spreadsheet over a year ago, and used to update it every week or so. Then my collection grew to maybe 600+ or so, and I stopped caring. Too much work.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    I started with a spreadsheet over a year ago, and used to update it every week or so. Then my collection grew to maybe 600+ or so, and I stopped caring. Too much work.
    maybe.............depends on how you set-up/programmed you spread sheet I suppose
    When I get cigars in, I :
    enter them into my system once......about 30 seconds
    then I just change the "count" field when I smoke a particular cigar......about 3-5 seconds

For me, it's worth it, because I always know exactly how many cigars I have, and where they are.............................and yes, I have a mild case of OCD heh heh..........but it did help to have this system as I "discovered" a few cigars "missing" about a year ago or so............that issue has since been resolved........but I most likely would never have noticed it......(at the time I was up well over 750 cigars)..........I'm sure the person figured I would never notice a few being gone...................wrong.

Also, it's nice to be able to look at my list, and pick something that I haven't tried, or that has 2 years of age on it, or maybe it's been resting a month, and I want to try one before letting the rest of the batch age, etc.
    Having all that data organized makes the hobby much easier for manage and enjoy.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    All I do is put the date on the cello and call it a day...it's nice to find buried treasure from time to time
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I gave up trying and couldn't imagine doing it with the stash some guys around here keep.
    +1

Tried a couple of the "Apps", had compatibility issues with all my devices.
    So I then tried a couple of the websites .... too many missing brands/vitolas, and challenging UIs .... so I gave up on them.
    Then I put all my info on a Google Docs spreadsheet last winter (when I wasn't smoking much) --- kept that updated for about a month or two but once "smoking season" started I wasn't updating it regularly and it too fell by the way side.

Just too time consuming to keep it accurate, and if I'm smoking away from home I always forget to update it when I get back.....

bigharpoon:
    I keep it simple: a little sticker with the date it came into my possession and, if it was gifted, the name of the giver. Beyond that...i'm not interested in making my cigars too analyzed.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    Is the way to go, IMHO
    I've done this since very early on and it's a fool-proof system.
    Simple. Easy. Effective.
    Tell's me everything I need to know about the cigar and I don't have to worry about finding a computer/phone/journal/etc. to update my "stash" when I'm smoking.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are all in alphabetic order but in my own language. For example I have an Opus X next to a Tat Lancero. It's not T-O like Terrel Owens but O-T as in extra innings. Make sense?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I tip my hat off to those of you who do this. I personally do not. Too time consuming for me to do. Most of the cigars I smoke I have boxes for, so when I get low I might put in an order. For the singles, well the special singles I know how many I have and the others I just smoke 'em. I figure there is a reason why they are not in my humi all boxed up, and if they are one's on the "box" list I know where to go.

I use to even keep a spread sheet of my movies, but gave up on that too, now I just separate them based on type of genre. Guess I'm getting lazy.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the humidor tracking program at cigargeeks. Works well.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I use the Cigar Boss app. I love it
  • Options
    scooter mcgee:
    I use the Cigar Boss app. I love it

That's the one I found for my phone. I'm having a hard time wanting to convert over to it since I made a spread sheet already. 73 different cigars and 15 doubles. A little time consuming... Even for a small collection.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I'm starting a spread sheet now...I also use cigar boss. As a 3rd item, I also take notes in a note book. I'd rather hand write notes, than keep them on my phone. Phone dies, notes die.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    i'd pay someone in cigars to do mine for me...
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    I put together this online spreadsheet on google docs.

"Stick Sheet"

It can track purchases, inventory, gifts, and some stats. If you like it or want to give it a try, the sheet is editable. If you guys FUBAR it, don't worry, it's a copy.

There's a small learning curve involved which I believe you guys can handle. Most important is to make sure that the "Cigar" name is exactly the same in the "Purchase" sheet and the "Inventory" sheet. You can have multiple purchases on the same cigar in the Purchase sheet but only need one listing in the Inventory sheet.

Depending if you're on a mobile platform or desktop, there are 3 tabs on this spreadsheet: Purchases, Inventory & Stats. Add your purchases in the "Purchase Sheet" and then, if the cigar is NOT listed in the "Inventory" sheet, copy & paste the name to a new line in order for the computations to work correctly.

I made this spreadsheet on my ipad using Apple's Numbers app which also works on an iPhone and desktop. It works great on the iPad and if anyone wants a copy of this spreadsheet, PM me and I'll email it to you. Just make sure you have Numbers installed.

If you like the spreadsheet, and need some customization, I can try and help tailor it to your needs.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    variant2:
    I put together this online spreadsheet on google docs.

"Stick Sheet"

It can track purchases, inventory, gifts, and some stats. If you like it or want to give it a try, the sheet is editable. If you guys FUBAR it, don't worry, it's a copy.

There's a small learning curve involved which I believe you guys can handle. Most important is to make sure that the "Cigar" name is exactly the same in the "Purchase" sheet and the "Inventory" sheet. You can have multiple purchases on the same cigar in the Purchase sheet but only need one listing in the Inventory sheet.

Depending if you're on a mobile platform or desktop, there are 3 tabs on this spreadsheet: Purchases, Inventory & Stats. Add your purchases in the "Purchase Sheet" and then, if the cigar is NOT listed in the "Inventory" sheet, copy & paste the name to a new line in order for the computations to work correctly.

I made this spreadsheet on my ipad using Apple's Numbers app which also works on an iPhone and desktop. It works great on the iPad and if anyone wants a copy of this spreadsheet, PM me and I'll email it to you. Just make sure you have Numbers installed.

If you like the spreadsheet, and need some customization, I can try and help tailor it to your needs.

Thats pretty cool, thanks variant
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this for a while and still have a decent part of it accurate but I've found with all the trades, passes and bombs it's reallllly hard to update fast enough for it to be all that accurate. And to be fair I could have never done it without my wife's help since she did all of the spreadsheet work while I went through and called out the cigar and all of the info about it.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Stickers are the most efficient way for me. I takes minimal time when entering into the humi. A quick date, who its from and why. If I buy them, I just the date. Never any need to update quantity when smoking them and you always know who they are from.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I open the door, look around to see what is in there, stand there picking up cigars and putting them back and after about 15 minutes of that, grab a cigar and close the door. Pretty much, Toranos in one spot, Fuentes and Davidoffs in another spot and the rest, go where ever they look good and boxes down below. That's about as organized as it gets.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the whole spreadsheet/website route and it is very tough to keep up with. Now I use small stickers on the cello with the date and maybe a name if I want to thank someone after enjoying it.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot guys, as i have just confirmed that i must NOT be as much OCD as i thought i was....especially regarding cigars!!

Honestly, not sure how i would ever catch up now, even if i wanted to. All the information i need is on the little stickers I put on them upon arrival (i.e. date received, source and price paid, plus the odd time the name of the sampler if it was unique or 'special' in some way...eg 'Alex's apology sampler')

Much more than that and i believe it would take away the enjoyment of the cigar experience for me. The last thing i want to do is have to update or report back on a cigar in a computer program while, or after i have smoked it. Even if it is just to reduce the inventory by 1.

In a way though, i am envious of your organizational skills, just not sure i could maintain that system even if i could have created it in the first place.