Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Bourbon

JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
I know there are a few guys that love bourbon on here. I am new to bourbon, so far recently have only had Elijah Craig 12yr, which I have enjoyed alot. I am looking into buying myself a bottle for my birthday.

The two I am looking at are Angel's Envy or Blanton's. For all the people who have tried both, which do you recommend I pick up? While I am looking at those two it doesn't mean it has to be one of those two, if you guys have any recommendations. Throw them my way.

Comments

• Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I typically have Wild Turkey on hand... but I also try to keep the Devils Cut on hand too. That only works until the seal is cracked. Very smooth and easy to drink.

Five ice cubes and five fingers of burboun. That's a nice mix for me.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Having just tried the Blanton's... I'd say go with that. But... Plenty of time out there... At least for most of us... There's always another bottle around the corner. There's always the next one. For cheaper ones, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Devils Cut, Eagle Rare - these are my go to every day bottles always on hand. JD Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel, were my higher end ones I keep on hand for the weekend. Blanton's the best I've ever had, but still just above the JD and KC price by maybe $5-10.. Enjoy. Exciting times ahead.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paging jthanatos....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only had the Angles Envy from those two, but they make a rye and a bourbon. Bourbon is a bit smoother and has this brilliant black cherry note and tons of character but a remarkably clean finish. Either way I don't think you'll go wrong!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Paging jthanatos....
    What? Who? Where? How did I get here?

You really can't go wrong with either, it is a matter of what you are looking for.

Blanton's is thick and sweet. Nose full of honey, caramel and molasses. Could have a great night just smelling a glass of this stuff. Brown sugar and vanilla hit the tip of your tongue, and a little red pepper at the end keeps you coming back. Higher proof but doesn't taste of it. Coats the mouth and warms the whole way down.

Angel's Envy bourbon is rich and silky, a mousse to Blanton's pudding. Finished in port barrels, and you really get that on the nose. Berries and candied cherry greet your first taste, with sticky toffee and vanilla throughout. Bits of mint and cinnamon finish the experience. Also of the higher proof whiskeys, but not as high as Blanton's.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    Paging jthanatos....

You really can't go wrong with either, it is a matter of what you are looking for.

Blanton's is thick and sweet. Nose full of honey, caramel and molasses. Could have a great night just smelling a glass of this stuff. Brown sugar and vanilla hit the tip of your tongue, and a little red pepper at the end keeps you coming back. Higher proof but doesn't taste of it. Coats the mouth and warms the whole way down.

Angel's Envy bourbon is rich and silky, a mousse to Blanton's pudding. Finished in port barrels, and you really get that on the nose. Berries and candied cherry greet your first taste, with sticky toffee and vanilla throughout. Bits of mint and cinnamon finish the experience. Also of the higher proof whiskeys, but not as high as Blanton's.
    Dang, I'm on my way to the liquor store! Thanks James!
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with either but both very different Bourbons in my opinion. Angel's Envy is more complex, has more fruit notes from the Port barrel aging but also brings with it a bit more pepper on the finish. Blanton's is very buttery, notes of toffee, vanilla and butterscotch with a much smoother finish.

A few more to consider if they hit distro in your area:

Willett - a wheated mash, which softens the finished product - very soft and floral, a great intro Bourbon to convert the novice or non-Bourbon drinker but complex and rich enough to excite the true Bourbon addict.

W.L. Weller 12 year - another wheated mash - not as soft as Willett but a wonderful Bourbon. If you've fallen into the Pappy craze and didn't wait in line to pay way too much money for an over-hyped bottle, pick this stuff up at a much cheaper price. It's essentially the same stuff. Really. Pappy sources from Weller barrels. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch - similar price range as Willett but with some Rye in the mash. This one is complex enough but has that peppery kick you'd expect from the Rye. I've had a few of their expressions and have never been disappointed.

Cheers!
    -Rob
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Can't go wrong with either but both very different Bourbons in my opinion. Angel's Envy is more complex, has more fruit notes from the Port barrel aging but also brings with it a bit more pepper on the finish. Blanton's is very buttery, notes of toffee, vanilla and butterscotch with a much smoother finish.

Willett - a wheated mash, which softens the finished product - very soft and floral, a great intro Bourbon to convert the novice or non-Bourbon drinker but complex and rich enough to excite the true Bourbon addict.

W.L. Weller 12 year - another wheated mash - not as soft as Willett but a wonderful Bourbon. If you've fallen into the Pappy craze and didn't wait in line to pay way too much money for an over-hyped bottle, pick this stuff up at a much cheaper price. It's essentially the same stuff. Really. Pappy sources from Weller barrels. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch - similar price range as Willett but with some Rye in the mash. This one is complex enough but has that peppery kick you'd expect from the Rye. I've had a few of their expressions and have never been disappointed.

Cheers!
    -Rob
    Ahhh... yess.... forgot about Willet. That's the one in the genie looking bottle? Really long neck? Loved that one too. thanks fo reminding me!
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    Rob1110:

Cheers!
    -Rob
    Ahhh... yess.... forgot about Willet. That's the one in the genie looking bottle? Really long neck? Loved that one too. thanks fo reminding me!
    That shape is a copper pot still. Tasty stuff too.
  • Options
    And it makes an awesome 'gloog gloog gloog' sound as you pour it.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    James turned me onto Angels Envy in Chicago. I am a newbie and dont normally drink the whiskeys but that was outstanding !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    Having just tried the Blanton's... I'd say go with that. But... Plenty of time out there... At least for most of us... There's always another bottle around the corner. There's always the next one. For cheaper ones, Makers Mark, Buffalo Trace, Devils Cut, Eagle Rare - these are my go to every day bottles always on hand. JD Single Barrel, Knob Creek Single Barrel, were my higher end ones I keep on hand for the weekend. Blanton's the best I've ever had, but still just above the JD and KC price by maybe $5-10.. Enjoy. Exciting times ahead.
    The difference in price isnt too much.. Eagle rare, buffalo trace, knob creek and woodford reserve are all on my to try list.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    jgibv:
    Paging jthanatos....

Wow the way you describe both of those.. Man, doesn't make any easier. Lol.
  • Options
    Rob1110:

Cheers!
    -Rob
    Just looked and unfortunately i can't get any of those here. I have read about W.L. Weller and wanted to try. Willett sounds really good also.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's your birthday, man! Get one of each!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Echambers:
    Would love to but i still have xmas shopping to do for my son.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    4 roses yellow is a nice bourbon on the cheaper end as well.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    I really like Bakers, especially on these cold winter nights. Excellent spice notes and just enough warmth and finish. On the less expensive side I would recommend Sam Houston whisky. I read a review of this on Stogies on the Rocks and have been through a few bottles since, lol. Consistent bottle to bottle and smooth...more bourbon than straight whisky to my palate. Excellent choice for less than $30.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    Echambers:
    Would love to but i still have xmas shopping to do for my son.
    Well even better! I like your priorities, brother.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    NECRO Bump....

Finally polished off my bottle of Rowan's Creek last night.
    Been sipping on it quite a bit these past couple weeks, usually neat ... sometimes with just a little splash of water added.
    All out of bourbon at home (gasp!) so I need to stop on the way home and pick up something new. Thinking about a bottle of Woodford.....and maybe something else.....

Looking for suggestions on "something else"....
    Would like something with a more "traditional" mash bill since Woodford is high rye.
    JT's description of Blanton's on pg 1 sounded pretty damn good, never had it before. But that's a high rye too? Yes?
    Would like to stay under $40 for the bottle.
    Recommendations?

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a bottle of Willett a few months back and I have liked it. Sweeter and maybe a little more floral than woodford. I dont know how the mash conpares, but it does taste like its light on the rye. Pretty much no bite

oh I think its the pot still reserve. The bottle is unmistakable and looks like a pot still. Its a little under $40. $36 here I believe
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Willett is a wheated mash and that's what gives it it's soft, floral, sweet and creamy flavor and texture. Woodford is a rye mash, so it should have more pepper and will naturally be drier than Willett.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I got a bottle of Willett a few months back and I have liked it. Sweeter and maybe a little more floral than woodford. I dont know how the mash conpares, but it does taste like its light on the rye. Pretty much no bite

oh I think its the pot still reserve. The bottle is unmistakable and looks like a pot still. Its a little under $40. $36 here I believe
    yes, pot still reserve looked good. it's the uniquely shaped bottle because i remember going between that and rowan's creek last time we were at party source across the river.

Rob1110:
    Willett is a wheated mash and that's what gives it it's soft, floral, sweet and creamy flavor and texture. Woodford is a rye mash, so it should have more pepper and will naturally be drier than Willett.
    Yes you're right, it's not a rye....I've been looking at too many whiskey reviews today and must got myself confused LOL.
    But --- doesn't really matter anyways right now because it looks like Willett isn't distributed at all in OH, boo!! I guess that makes sense why I can't find Rowan's Creek anywhere (unless their website is wrong), dang.

Soo...since Willett is a no-go....for now....
    Any other suggestions?

• Options
    Sad... I will mail you some anytime!
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Sad... I will mail you some anytime!
    Thanks man. I appreciate the offer, will keep that in mind!
    (Same goes for you if there's anything up here that you can't get which is doubtful since KY sells brand of every liquor under the sun, LOL)

Wife and I plan on making a trip that direction this summer, not sure if we'll stay anywhere in KY or just "pass through" but definitely going to stop at a party source and stock up!

• Options
    Cool! There is a gigantic liquor barn in Lexington. It's a lot of fun, they even have a pretty good walk in humidor. It's very close to the interstate if youre passing through.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    Any other suggestions?
    If the Buffalo Trace line is distributed to your area, try for the Weller Bourbons. They have a standard 90 proof (7 year old), a 107 proof (7 year) and their 12 year (amazing stuff for the money) and all are wheated mash Bourbons. Old Fitzgerald is a wheated mash, as is Maker's Mark.

There are also some good wheated whiskeys out there (not Bourbon) that are pretty good. The Bernheim isn't too bad but the Dry Fly Port Cask Wheated Whiskey is pretty nice. Were you looking, specifically for a wheated Bourbon/Whiskey or just suggestions in general?
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    jgibv:
    Any other suggestions?
    If the Buffalo Trace line is distributed to your area, try for the Weller Bourbons. They have a standard 90 proof (7 year old), a 107 proof (7 year) and their 12 year (amazing stuff for the money) and all are wheated mash Bourbons. Old Fitzgerald is a wheated mash, as is Maker's Mark.

There are also some good wheated whiskeys out there (not Bourbon) that are pretty good. The Bernheim isn't too bad but the Dry Fly Port Cask Wheated Whiskey is pretty nice. Were you looking, specifically for a wheated Bourbon/Whiskey or just suggestions in general?

Thanks for the suggestions, Rob. You certainly know your spirits - (I still gotta look for those tequilas you suggested too)

I was looking specifically for bourbon suggestions, something not "high rye" bourbon.

Aside from mojitos and beer, bourbon's been my "go-to" spirit for the past year or so since we did a quick weekend trip to KY last summer and toured a couple distilleries.
    Never had anything Buffalo Trace before....I'll check it out if it's in stock.

And as for wheated whiskeys....don't think I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole yet. Going to keep working my way through different bourbons before I get sidetracked with another type of whiskey, ya know?

• Options
    jgibv:
    Rob1110:
    jgibv:
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions, Rob. You certainly know your spirits - (I still gotta look for those tequilas you suggested too)

I was looking specifically for bourbon suggestions, something not "high rye" bourbon.

Aside from mojitos and beer, bourbon's been my "go-to" spirit for the past year or so since we did a quick weekend trip to KY last summer and toured a couple distilleries.
    Never had anything Buffalo Trace before....I'll check it out if it's in stock.

And as for wheated whiskeys....don't think I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole yet. Going to keep working my way through different bourbons before I get sidetracked with another type of whiskey, ya know?
    High rye is sort of subjective. Some say the cut off is 18% rye. Others 20%, still others insist their 14% rye mash bill is a high rye mix. Your Bourbons are either going to use wheat or rye for flavor. BT is a great suggestion for a tasty bourbon... 'traditional' is hard for me to say, as it seems even for the big wigs in the industry that really just means 'bourbon I like/make'.

My two cents? Drink everything :P

But seriously, here are my picks in the very subjective area:

High rye: Bulleit (35% rye!) and Basil Hayden's (~30% rye)

'traditional': Woodford Reserve (18% rye) and Buffalo Trace (~11% rye)

Wheat: Maker's Mark, Old Fitz, and Larceny (Weller would be here... but you can't find it. Need to move to a more alcoholic state.)
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:

yes, pot still reserve looked good. it's the uniquely shaped bottle because i remember going between that and rowan's creek last time we were at party source across the river.

Rob1110:
    Yes you're right, it's not a rye....I've been looking at too many whiskey reviews today and must got myself confused LOL.
    But --- doesn't really matter anyways right now because it looks like Willett isn't distributed at all in OH, boo!! I guess that makes sense why I can't find Rowan's Creek anywhere (unless their website is wrong), dang.

Any other suggestions?
    Let me investigate the Willett and Rowan's Creek for you