Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Bourbon

2»

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Cool! There is a gigantic liquor barn in Lexington. It's a lot of fun, they even have a pretty good walk in humidor. It's very close to the interstate if youre passing through.
    Is there a goofy interchange at the highway near that one, where you have to drive down the wrong side of the road for a little while then cross back over???

If so, I know exactly where you're talking about.
    We stopped at that one last summer.....and loaded up the back of my wife's car with bottles, LOL

jthanatos:
    High rye is sort of subjective. ....

My two cents? Drink everything :P

But seriously, here are my picks in the very subjective area:

High rye: Bulleit (35% rye!) and Basil Hayden's (~30% rye)

'traditional': Woodford Reserve (18% rye) and Buffalo Trace (~11% rye)

Wheat: Maker's Mark, Old Fitz, and Larceny (Weller would be here... but you can't find it. Need to move to a more alcoholic state.)
    Thanks for the suggestions JT. You guys have given me enough ideas to keep me busy for a while :-)

I'd say you're right about "high rye" being subjective because I've seen woodford categorized as "high rye" a couple places online.
    Definitely going to grab a bottle of woodford and will peruse the shelves at the liquor store and see what else I can find

And kentucky's only a day-trip away, and they sell every liquor known to man ;-)

Bigshizza:
    Let me investigate the Willett and Rowan's Creek for you
    I appreciate the thought, Jim. But I think I know what you're thinking and don't do it. Seriously, I'm all good at the moment.

But if you happen to come across any of that Elysian Loser Pale Ale, LMK --- I'd love to get some for one of my friend's, he'd go ape$hit over it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    You're very welcome. It's a passion / borderline obsession. I'm always seeking out something new. That's why my local liquor store hired me.

For the most part, the adjuncts to Bourbon (aside from primarily corn) are going to be Wheat and Barley (for a creamy, soft and slightly sweet pallet) or Rye and Barley (for more pepper and a drier pallet). Some will blend all Rye or a very big portion of Rye but they generally don't blend Wheat and Rye because it would be a bit counter intuitive.

Buffalo Trace definitely puts out some great products. Don't forget Bourbon can be made outside of Kentucky. That's a common misconception. There are actually some decent Bourbons coming from all different states but Kentucky still has some of the best, partially because, historically it's been the center of Bourbon production.

I hear ya. It's an expensive hobby. Feel free to ask away when you have questions.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    You're very welcome. It's a passion / borderline obsession. I'm always seeking out something new. That's why my local liquor store hired me.

For the most part, the adjuncts to Bourbon (aside from primarily corn) are going to be Wheat and Barley (for a creamy, soft and slightly sweet pallet) or Rye and Barley (for more pepper and a drier pallet). Some will blend all Rye or a very big portion of Rye but they generally don't blend Wheat and Rye because it would be a bit counter intuitive.

Buffalo Trace definitely puts out some great products. Don't forget Bourbon can be made outside of Kentucky. That's a common misconception. There are actually some decent Bourbons coming from all different states but Kentucky still has some of the best, partially because, historically it's been the center of Bourbon production.

I hear ya. It's an expensive hobby. Feel free to ask away when you have questions.

Cheers!
    That's awesome your liquor store brought you on board and is paying you to do something you loved doing anyways, very cool.

Speaking of bourbon made outside of KY ---- do you get OYO out there in MA?
    And/or have you ever tried it?
    Made by "Middle West Spirits" out of Columbus OH. They do a few kinds of vodkas, a couple whiskeys, and I recently found out they do a bourbon as well.
    Called "Michelone Reserve"....I need to find it at a bar/restaurant and give it a try .... the bottle fetches a pretty steep price at $50+, not going to spend that much without trying first.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:
    Cool! There is a gigantic liquor barn in Lexington. It's a lot of fun, they even have a pretty good walk in humidor. It's very close to the interstate if youre passing through.
    Is there a goofy interchange at the highway near that one, where you have to drive down the wrong side of the road for a little while then cross back over???

Hmmm goofy interchange... not sure. I dont often come from the OH side. It on ManOWar, in a part of lexington called hamburg. But if it was a bigass liquor store that has to be it!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:

Hmmm goofy interchange... not sure. I dont often come from the OH side. It on ManOWar, in a part of lexington called hamburg. But if it was a bigass liquor store that has to be it!
    Man it was driving me crazy so I had to google it, LOL. That's not the one we stopped it....
    Found it though, the one we went to is on the other side of Lexington in beaumont ctr off of new circle rd/harrodsburg rd.
    I didn't realize you guys had multiple giant a$$ liquor stores so close to each other .... color me jealous.

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    We don't get OYO out here. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm always on the hunt for something new, especially in the Whiskey departments. Small batch, artisanal stuff usually does well, especially when the quality is there. Let me know what you think if you do try it.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:

Man it was driving me crazy so I had to google it, LOL. That's not the one we stopped it....
    Found it though, the one we went to is on the other side of Lexington in beaumont ctr off of new circle rd/harrodsburg rd.
    I didn't realize you guys had multiple giant a$$ liquor stores so close to each other .... color me jealous.
    Ahhh yes, I actually haven't been in that one, but I know beaumont centre. Yes, that is a weird interchange. We also just had a new Kroger liquor store just open up about a 1/4 mile away from our house too! :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    We don't get OYO out here. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm always on the hunt for something new, especially in the Whiskey departments. Small batch, artisanal stuff usually does well, especially when the quality is there. Let me know what you think if you do try it.

The OYO vodka is pretty decent...so I hope their whiskey is the same. I'll let you know if I have a chance to try it.
    Gray4lines:
    Ahhh yes, I actually haven't been in that one, but I know beaumont centre. Yes, that is a weird interchange. We also just had a new Kroger liquor store just open up about a 1/4 mile away from our house too! :)
    Yeah, rub it in ya jerk!!!
    Our liquor stores are a small little section in the back of grocery stores (maybe 20 x 20 ft in kroger & giant eagle) whereas you guys have walmart size megastores that are all liquor. damn.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Haven't got a lot of bourbon and spirits for that matter, been using all the extra money on beer and events. I'm missing the whiskey fest this weekend too! I was able to score a elijah craig barrel proof which is amazing. Found a really great place in downtown portland that has the biggest selection and really chill store jockeys. Will be going there from now on.
  • Options
    Tried about 3 fingers of the Willett Pot Still Reserve that Jim THE BigShizza hooked me up with.
    Had it neat with just a splash of water....oh my, oh sooo good.

Man oh man!!! Thanks again Jim, this stuff is fantastic.

• Options
    Anybody tried kirkland (Costco brand) small batch 7 year bourbon. Friend brought me back a bottle from Indy recently (no liquor at Costco here in OH).
    $20 for a 1 liter bottle. It's a Jim beam product. Decent for the price IMO.
    103 proof and it's got a bite if you try to drink it neat. Add a couple drops of water or an ice cube and it's much better. Would be great for mixing too (old fashioneds, manhattans, etc). I definitely recommend it for a decent budget friendly bourbon

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I shop all the time at Costco Liquors, but unfortunately, each state is different. Our Costco is an extension of WB liquor here. So they sell the WB branded ones. That sounds interesting though. I'd give it a shot.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Had some King's County Bourbon recently. Amazing stuff, but distribution is really limited.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Had some King's County Bourbon recently. Amazing stuff, but distribution is really limited.
    Had to look at their website. I like the simplicity of the bottle. Interesting that it's available in Sweden, England and Japan too. I'm hoping my bourbon outlook improves in the next week or two!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get paid tomorrow and so long as everything g works out will be picking up a bottle of Booker's since its on sale for 33% off :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I get paid tomorrow and so long as everything g works out will be picking up a bottle of Booker's since its on sale for 33% off :)
    Damn thats a deal, better sip on that, its potent.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    pretty sure that means you should buy 3
    ;-)

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:
    Had to look at their website. I like the simplicity of the bottle. Interesting that it's available in Sweden, England and Japan too. I'm hoping my bourbon outlook improves in the next week or two!
    I've only had it once, but so far I'm thinking the best bourbon I've ever had, and I've had quite a few great ones. I'll definitely have to revisit to make sure it holds up, but the liquor store I go to said they have it on order so should be no trouble there. It's very different than any other bourbon I've had, so I can't even give you a good comparison point taste-wise. Far more complex than most, good amount of sweetness (like a Blanton's) but a great amount of other tastes as well to keep it really interesting. Had it neat, as I always try all my bourbons, but I wonder what wold happen with a splash of water or a little chill to it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    My B&M has Old Rip Van Winkle 10 in right now. Might not be a bad way to start off the weekend!
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Man. Forgot I made this thread. My bourbon has grown alot since I started this. I'm hoping to find some OFBB this weekend (of anyone has a line on some let me know). If not I may pick up some Evan Williams Single barrel
  • Options
    So that time of year again. Birthday coming up and looking to buy a bottle of bourbon. Any suggestions? My favs at this moment are smooth Ambler old scout 7yr. , ETL, Larceny (wish I could find a bottle around here), and Four Roses Single Barrel. Also enjoyed blantons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    JHewey:
    So that time of year again. Birthday coming up and looking to buy a bottle of bourbon. Any suggestions? My favs at this moment are smooth Ambler old scout 7yr. , ETL, Larceny (wish I could find a bottle around here), and Four Roses Single Barrel. Also enjoyed blantons.

I recommend Angels Envy if you haven't had it. The bottle never lasts more than a week.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    JHewey:

I recommend Angels Envy if you haven't had it. The bottle never lasts more than a week.

Good luck with anything single barrel. ??
  • Options
    james40:
    JHewey:

Angels envy is actually a fav. But still got some of that left.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    This guy Ralfy is awesome! I thought I'd share one of his reviews. He has over 500 reviews on youtube and Ive watched a bunch. He did a whole series on American Whiskey/Bourbon.
    I chose this review not for the Bottle but for the content. If you sift through his reviews youll find some that are purely instructional, which are very informative. The dude really knows his stuff and is wicked smart, One can tell by listening to him. Not only that, he cracks me up, Quite a personality! I'd love to throw a few back with him.
    Enjoy