Home General Discussion
Options

UPDATE - Now Nine Months Cigarette Free!

Comments

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Jay...keep it going. How's the wife do I g in her quest to quit?
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep up the good work! Once you are all done just start using nicotine free juices. Then learn to build your own atomizers!!!! That's what I'm doing now. It's fun and the flavor differences are unbelievable! :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    Wife is at 0 too!

LiquidChaos66:
    Keep up the good work! Once you are all done just start using nicotine free juices. Then learn to build your own atomizers!!!! That's what I'm doing now. It's fun and the flavor differences are unbelievable! :)
    I didn't know these existed!
  • Options
    Good luck to both you and your wife; quit 6 years ago this July. Long road but well worth it.
  • Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Smoked for 30+ plus years Jay. Did the electronic thing and it did help. I quit 2 yrs ago February and still have urges and know I always will. Resign yourself to knowing its an addiction is step 1. Find your habits ie... smoking after you eat.....with your coffee in the morning ,and other mannerisms such as putting your hand to your mouth,crossing your fingers when you hold a cig ... for some examples. Now pick one of those habits and eliminate one at a time in your daily routine, in other words pick your battle plan and win the battle before thinking you can win the complete war.
    Believe in yourself and be proud. You can beat it !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Smoked for 30+ plus years Jay. Did the electronic thing and it did help. I quit 2 yrs ago February and still have urges and know I always will. Resign yourself to knowing its an addiction is step 1. Find your habits ie... smoking after you eat.....with your coffee in the morning ,and other mannerisms such as putting your hand to your mouth,crossing your fingers when you hold a cig ... for some examples. Now pick one of those habits and eliminate one at a time in your daily routine, in other words pick your battle plan and win the battle before thinking you can win the complete war.
    Excellent advice.

Congrats Jay, on your success so far.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Poker Slob:
    Wife is at 0 too!

LiquidChaos66:
    I didn't know these existed!

I'll post some pics tonight of my current setup in the non cigar section for ya :)
  • Options
    curtpick:
    The E-cig helps....my hardest time is in the mornings. Wake up, piss, coffee, (used to) go out to smoke. I use my E-cig pretty heavily during that time. I seem to use it a little bit more heavy while I'm driving also. A habit of mine was always, if I got in the car...I lit up. Didn't matter if I'd just had one 5 minutes ago...I'd light up.

It's not been to tough...only 1 or 2 really strong cravings for a real smoke. Even had a buddy (cause we're ass's like that) run a cigarette under my nose today. "Uh, yeah...no thanks". Tell ya the truth...I felt pretty good about it!

The wife and I are trying not to push this to fast. I'm pretty sure if we push to hard, to fast....we'll tumble back into it.

Thanks for the great advice! I really do appreciate all the support from you guys. It really does help!
  • Options
    Take a peek at the thread i posted for you.... some pics. lol
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about this....Flavors and aromas will come back with a bang.
  • Options
    Update: I'm still at 0 smokes on the year! Ok, 22 days. My vape usage is dwindling slowly. The wife broke and had 1 cig in a drunken moment, and said it was absolutely horrible!
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good going brother.just think of all the money you'll save not buying cigarettes,money you could put towards another more enjoyable hobby ....
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations bro and much respect for you. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing ive done and it took me a bout a year of off and on to finally kick it. It's good you and your wife can support eachother though!
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Update: I'm still at 0 smokes on the year! Ok, 22 days. My vape usage is dwindling slowly. The wife broke and had 1 cig in a drunken moment, and said it was absolutely horrible!
    That's great to hear. Very great.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your gift is in the mail :)
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Damnit Jim!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Bigshizza:
    Damnit Jim!
    I'm a doctor, not a photon torpedo technician!
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    New Boots:
    Bigshizza:
    Damnit Jim!
    So you quit smoking?Heeeeres your cigar......brilliant get him Jim!!!!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    twistedstem:
    Rain:
    New Boots:
    Bigshizza:
    Damnit Jim!
    So you quit smoking?Heeeeres your cigar......brilliant get him Jim!!!!
    Stop it!
  • Options
    Bump for Randy
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Thinking about doing this as well.Thinking and doing are two different things, though! I can go any 4 day with out smoking, first day at work....light up. Might need to lay off cigars for a bit, I think having the nicotine in my system from gars makes the return to cigarettes not as a painful as it should be.
  • Options
    Get. The. Vape!

(for me)

The Vape gives you the sensation and NIC you are looking for. 4.5 months in, and I'm off cig's and vape. Cigars only now.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Thinking about doing this as well.Thinking and doing are two different things, though! I can go any 4 day with out smoking, first day at work....light up. Might need to lay off cigars for a bit, I think having the nicotine in my system from gars makes the return to cigarettes not as a painful as it should be.
    I think you're right. I had to quit all tobacco for a few months, then go back to cigars. One thing that helped, when I broke down and had a cigarette I'd smoke it like a cigar. No inhaling. Search for the tobacco flavors, such as they are.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Today makes 9 months! Sorry, but I'm pretty happy about this! I honestly didnt think I'd make it this far.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Keep it up. If you made it this long, you should be able to go forever. After I quit chewing I had heavy cravings for the first two months. After about six months I had no desire whatsoever to start again. Coming up on 11 years, if I remember the year correctly.
  • Options
    Congratulations. You should feel proud you've made it a reality. In fact I think you should change the title of your thread now to something big like "Now Nine Months Cigarette Free!"
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Congratulations. You should feel proud you've made it a reality. In fact I think you should change the title of your thread now to something big like "Now Nine Months Cigarette Free!"
    +1 what a great accomplishment. I was one of those, "I only smoke when I drink" kinda guys that full time smokers hate bc we're always bumming smokes. When I decided I was done it was easy for me to stop. Cant imagine what you've went through! Congrats again and someone shoot me his addy!!!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Bob Luken:
    +1 what a great accomplishment. I was one of those, "I only smoke when I drink" kinda guys that full time smokers hate bc we're always bumming smokes. When I decided I was done it was easy for me to stop. Cant imagine what you've went through! Congrats again and someone shoot me his addy!!!
    ...ah crap
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    mmccartneydc:
    Bob Luken:
    ...ah crap
    Still waiting on this......anyone, anyone?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Today makes 9 months! Sorry, but I'm pretty happy about this! I honestly didnt think I'd make it this far.
    thats freakin awesome Jay! I'm almost 4 months without snuff. And hating every minute of it. How have you been doing on the the eating thing. I'm eating all the time mostly fruit and veggies but I've had to kick my walks up a notch from 1 hour to 2 hours every day so I'm just able to keep my weight steady. Don't want to gain back all I lost.