Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Spectre by AJ Fernandez

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am almost to the end of it, and I can't say the smokey Lat stood out to me that much. I am prettyy surprised, especially after reading what others thought! I got a good spice at first, followed by some woody notes and a solid maduro flavor. Maybe a little smokey taste halfway through, but nothing ever out of balance. Maybe my next will be different, but it wasn't a lot different than some other cigars with no lat in them. So far, I definitely prefer the leccias for a "pipe tobacco" cigar
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tried my first Spectre. I'd been intrigued since I received it in a bomb from Morgan (thanks again, bro!). Smelled unlike any cigar I've ever had... almost perfumey. My wife, who LOVES the scent of a strong cigar, did not like the aroma of this stick at all. So, this afternoon while she was taking a little nap, I decided to break it out and give it a whirl...

I was expecting to be overpowered by a unique flavor that was consistent with the strong pre-light fragrance of the cigar. Once lit, however, the taste was rather smooth and not especially complex. There were notes of meat, wood, pine and black pepper, and occasionally something I can only describe as "smoked seafood."

There was an even draw throughout. The burn was uneven through the first half, but that may have been my fault. By the end of the smoke, the ash evened out. The retrohale was not harsh, and the finish was actually quite sweet. All-in-all, it turned out to be an enjoyable smoke. Early on, I thought I might have to toss it early, but I ended up smoking it down to the nub. I can't see this as part of my "must have" list, but if I have an opportunity to pick up a few more, I probably will.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    PD, I enjoyed the pair of Spectres I bought and picked up a couple 5-packs. It's an interesting smoke and a nice change of pace. I think it'll be a perfect camp or BBQ cigar.
  • Options
    PAtoNH:
    PD, I enjoyed the pair of Spectres I bought and picked up a couple 5-packs. It's an interesting smoke and a nice change of pace. I think it'll be a perfect camp or BBQ cigar.
    Absolutely! I can see it in both settings!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    Just saw it under new arrivals here on ccom. Might have to check it out on my next purchase.

I ordered 1 from CCom in a custom sampler last month. I think watching "Game of Thrones" tonight will be a good time to smoke it.The third draw and I will decide what to drink with it.....
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Just saw it under new arrivals here on ccom. Might have to check it out on my next purchase.

I ordered 1 from CCom in a custom sampler last month. I think watching "Game of Thrones" tonight will be a good time to smoke it.The third draw and I will decide what to drink with it.....

I must have got a "bad" one, I smelled fuel before lighting and there was nothing until the final third that caught my interest.
  • Options
    Smoking the toro right now. 1/3 in and thus far I would posit if you're an a AJ fan, this is well worth the money. I've rested the box almost three months and they are very nice....

Good smokes all...

Marty K.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Here is my review. It is in my thread, but figured i would post a link here since most will come to this in a search. I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Great review, Dustin! Thanks!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the new ccom magazine in the mail today and saw these advertised with special pricing, prices have been updated online....http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1782
    I shouldn't spend the $$ but $35 for a box of robustos is tempting, going to sleep on it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    jgibv:
    Got the new ccom magazine in the mail today and saw these advertised with special pricing, prices have been updated online....http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=1782
    I shouldn't spend the $$ but $35 for a box of robustos is tempting, going to sleep on it.

I'll split with ya! PM me if you wanna go that route.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    jgibv:

I'll split with ya! PM me if you wanna go that route.
    Hmm ok, I am considering the split. I smoked 1 Spectre and loved it.
    These are good on their own but the price makes it a prime candidate for gardening/dog-walking too.

(I am also looking at a box of 3 reynas with a similar price/stick ....haven't smoked one of those yet though....)

• Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are nasty a$$ things--one of only two or three sticks I didn't get beyond an inch or so. My deepest apologies to anyone I sent one if these too. Was like going down on a girl who just has sex with a barbecue. Took three fingers of scotch to get the stank out of my mouth. F you DE. Never again. N. E. V. E. R.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    These are nasty a$$ things--one of only two or three sticks I didn't get beyond an inch or so. My deepest apologies to anyone I sent one if these too. Was like going down on a girl who just has sex with a barbecue. Took three fingers of scotch to get the stank out of my mouth. F you DE. Never again. N. E. V. E. R.
    Sooooo Eric.... How did you like it!?!?!? Are you talking about the same cigar or the KFC DE?
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Echambers:
    Sooooo Eric.... How did you like it!?!?!? Are you talking about the same cigar or the KFC DE?
    Yep, the Spectre. I didn't like it so much. And I meant AJ not DE.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I didn't like it at all. This is one of AJ's commercial release.
  • Options
    Echambers:
    ....Was like going down on a girl who just has sex with a barbecue.....
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    That's the funniest $hit I've read in a while, LOL. Nice.

If you got anymore Spectres you don't want LMK .... I'd be happy to take them off your hands & make it into a trade :-)

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    F you AJ.
    Oh really..
  • Options
    jgibv:
    Echambers:
    ....Was like going down on a girl who just has sex with a barbecue.....
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    That's the funniest $hit I've read in a while, LOL. Nice.

If you got anymore Spectres you don't want LMK .... I'd be happy to take them off your hands & make it into a trade :-)
    I think I have one left. If I do, it's yours.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Echambers:
    F you AJ.
    Oh really..
    Seriously, what kind of person would do that to a cigar? Might as we'll be hawking Acids.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    You don't agree with me, so obviously you're wrong. Somebody PM me this addy..
  • Options
    Rain:
    You don't agree with me, so obviously you're wrong. Somebody PM me this addy..
    Well...I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong. And that's an awful lot of wrong
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    smoking it now, and i don't detect any fishy flavors to it, but not my favorite cigar
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Echambers:
    smoking it now, and i don't detect any fishy flavors to it, but not my favorite cigar
    Maybe Mizithra cheese perhaps?
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's anything like the KFC I'll probably pass. KFC just doesn't do it for me.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Eric sent me two and I've smoked one. It's definitely a different experience. The pre-light aroma was almost chemically with the same flavor on the cold draw. The first puff reminded me of charred meat with a sweet, raisiny finish. Smooth retrohale. Unfortunately, it started to taste like charcoal at the halfway point. I have another one to let rest a while longer then I'll give it another try.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Eric sent me two and I've smoked one. It's definitely a different experience. The pre-light aroma was almost chemically with the same flavor on the cold draw. The first puff reminded me of charred meat with a sweet, raisiny finish. Smooth retrohale. Unfortunately, it started to taste like charcoal at the halfway point. I have another one to let rest a while longer then I'll give it another try.
    your a better man then me! I couldn't get passed the chemical smell and taste! Chucked it fast!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Toombes:
    your a better man then me! I couldn't get passed the chemical smell and taste! Chucked it fast!!
    You need to wash that back with a 5V Maduro bro
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Toombes:
    i didn't have one of them on hand so I went with a raji instead lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bigshizza:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Toombes:
    i didn't have one of them on hand so I went with a raji instead lol
    And I thought Victor Siclair was bad, till I smoked this 1.