Home Ratings & Reviews

Spectre by AJ Fernandez

124»

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alright so the few of these i smoked have been on par with my write-up/thoughts earlier in this thread (page 4)....was really enjoying them.

hadn't had one in a while so sparked one yesterday and ICK!!!!
    this has been in my humi for 1 year so i didn't think it would be in it's "sick period" but idk....

oh man i thought you guys were crazy talking about the chemical taste but when i first put it to my lips it was a WTF moment!!? eww!
    ackrid, chemical, bitter taste almost like vinegar or ammonia. was going to put it out and grab something else but was already half way down the block walking dog so decided to keep it up until the end of the street and if things didn't improve i'd toss it then.

well as far as i could tell, the bitterness ammonia-ish taste was coming from the surface of the wrapper (did AJ do some type of "infused flavors" for this? or coat the wrapper tip with something?) ...
    because after the first five minutes or so, and me wiping the end of the wrapper off a couple times the ackrid taste was gone and everything was fine.

(reminded me of how some of those "sweet-tip" DE cigars act, where after the first 5-10 minutes the sweetness is completely gone from the tip.)

once that initial **** taste cleared up i got those rich bbq, smoked meat flavors i've experienced before. smoke output rivaled the undercrown. damn, going to let these sit for a while and try another one in 6 months or so.

like i said, i was skeptical of your guys hate before but man you weren't kidding.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    These are nasty a$$ things--one of only two or three sticks I didn't get beyond an inch or so. My deepest apologies to anyone I sent one if these too. Was like going down on a girl who just has sex with a barbecue. Took three fingers of scotch to get the stank out of my mouth. F you AJ. Never again. N. E. V. E. R.
    Ah the memories. This really was my finest review. E.V.E.R.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Echambers:
    These are nasty a$$ things--one of only two or three sticks I didn't get beyond an inch or so. My deepest apologies to anyone I sent one if these too. Was like going down on a girl who just has sex with a barbecue. Took three fingers of scotch to get the stank out of my mouth. F you AJ. Never again. N. E. V. E. R.
    Best review I've read still makes me laugh
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need some more reviews Eric. I'm having withdrawals! Smoke, write, post...please. :)
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I so hate this thread. Thanks AJ
  • AJ is one of my spirit animals, but this thing is freakin' awful. My cigar should not taste like the bottom lining of a pit, complete with charcoal scraps. Really words do not describe how bad this is. You can complete the duet of wrong flavours by smoking it with a bottle Shiner Smokehouse, another tragic example of a good thing ruined.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikeyyc:
    AJ is one of my spirit animals, but this thing is freakin' awful. My cigar should not taste like the bottom lining of a pit, complete with charcoal scraps. Really words do not describe how bad this is. You can complete the duet of wrong flavours by smoking it with a bottle Shiner Smokehouse, another tragic example of a good thing ruined.
    You made it further than me. I took a whiff and put it in a tubo and put it in the bottom of my cooler. Safe to say I'll never smoke it.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one resting in the humidor and I gave it to a friend of mine last weekend. He thought he might like it since he's a pipe smoker and it's supposed to have Latakia in the filler. Yesterday I got a text from him that said...

"I am about an inch into this Spectre. The jury is still out. But would you be upset if I tossed it?'

That about sums it up.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I smoked one courtesy of jgibv and am a firm believer of not looking a gift horse in the mouth..... So here's a noobs review....
    Once you get past the amonia smell and light the thing, you can taste a good cigar in there somewhere, 100% not for the faint of heart, he sent me two a said to let one sit for 6weeks (or months?) But once you get halfway through its ok. In all honesty the first cigar I've ever smoked that I didn't nub, jgibv I apologize for the review!
    Also to jgibv The Ave Maria was a damn work of art, thank you sir
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    I was honestly half tempted to buy the daily deal today just to try One, then a series of gag gift. For a few of my close friends!
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Echambers:
    Yeah...prolly gonna pass on the Spectre after reading this. Glad you tried it though. This review was priceless!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y:
    I smoked one courtesy of jgibv and am a firm believer of not looking a gift horse in the mouth..... So here's a noobs review....
    Once you get past the amonia smell and light the thing, you can taste a good cigar in there somewhere, 100% not for the faint of heart, he sent me two a said to let one sit for 6weeks (or months?) But once you get halfway through its ok. In all honesty the first cigar I've ever smoked that I didn't nub, jgibv I apologize for the review!
    Yeah sorry it was a dud ray,...thanks for giving it a shot though. Let that other sit 6 months, hopefully the ammonia taste will be gone by then.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crousefer:
    I was honestly half tempted to buy the daily deal today just to try One, then a series of gag gift. For a few of my close friends!
    Yep. "Gag" is the right word. :^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    Puff_Dougie:
    Crousefer:
    I can just see the tears of "joy" in their eyes now.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The Spectre, while it may have an appeal to some, I feel it could have been a good cigar without the "Liquid Smoke" smell and taste. If you ever cooked with "Liquid Smoke" when making baked beans, or as a marinade on meat, you know the smell. To me it does not go well in a cigar. I tried it, gave it a chance, but will not be re-visiting this one..
    jgibv:
    SM0K3Y:
    Yeah sorry it was a dud ray,...thanks for giving it a shot though. Let that other sit 6 months, hopefully the ammonia taste will be gone by then.

All good sir, it was definitely an experience, plus, the others are awesome, Im disapointed a stogie got the best of me! LOL
  • If you're that tempted/masochistic, we're in the same general area. I'll be happy to part with one.
    As soon as this 2nd one hits 6 months in the humi imma try an nub that sucker, maybe I'll document as THE SPECTRE CHALLENGE
    Can we get full on video expressions too? I think km a throw one in my next order just to take the dang challenge lol
    photo challenge3_zpsbtyblmcn.jpg
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Crousefer:
    Reband one with a Opus X band and send it out... Best/worst "gag" gift E.V.E.R. ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crousefer:
    Can we get full on video expressions too? I think km a throw one in my next order just to take the dang challenge lol
    I've got one for you.