Home Non Cigar Related

Movie Reviews

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
I'm posting this for I would like to know what other BOTL's have actually SEEN and why I would want to see it....

I'll start...

If you are Adrenaline deficient and you have a love for gore than may I suggest RAMBO...

No story line, crappy plot and shltty storyline....

But Godddamn some of the craziest ACTION I have seen in awhile... truly a shoot 'em up to the exreme

*End Post*

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wish i could blow *** up with a bow and arrow.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    LMAO...that's classic

By the way, a movie reviews thread is totally my gig. I'm a movie fanatic, and a big critic... Don't have anything to add right now, but I'll keep this in mind..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    kuzi16:
    LMAO...that's classic

By the way, a movie reviews thread is totally my gig. I'm a movie fanatic, and a big critic... Don't have anything to add right now, but I'll keep this in mind..
    Sounds good... I just wanted to start this thread to get "GUT REACTIONS" from people from a movie they've just seen

To get the "fresh off the mind" review... "Didya like it or not!"
    Okie dokie... I saw Year One (with Jack Black and Michael Cera) recently, and I was a little disappointed. I love watching movies in the theater, but I waited for this to reach my local late-run discount theater, and I'm glad for it. It had it's share of chuckles for sure, but it wasn't any sort of phenomenal movie. My rating would be:

Wednesday night movie on the couch with some homemade popcorn.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I saw District 9 in theaters a few weeks ago and on DVD few days ago :)... I love this movie! The story is great and there is a lot of moral in it. Its complex on several levels. Makes you wonder about the human condition and I love movies that do that. At the same time the action was top-notch! Not to talk about the cinematic style. Awesome camerawork and some very good shooting tools used. Reminded me in feel/shooting to a movie from some time ago - Starship Troopers. They used the same technique in delivering material through newscasts and "documentary" shorts... District 9 - 9 out of 10 ;)
  • I really liked district 9 also, I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Other movies I've seen recently:

Transformers 2: 7/10 (so why was Optimus Prime such a *** in the first movie?)
    Terminator Salvation: 4/10 (first 15 minutes were great, barfing after that. Embarrassment to the franchise)
    Star Trek: 8/10 (I was surprised. Very well done.)
    GI Joe: 5/10 (yes, it's GI Joe, but hollywood's cookie cutting recipe for action is so old. Last battle scene is Return of the Jedi under water. Snake Eyes is a pimp)

Recent Movie Rentals:

Into the Wild: 7/10 (Good flick. Touches your soul)
    Evan Almighty: 6/10 (Meh.)
    The Kingdom: 8/10 (Very good. Good story, action, and cinematography)
    Mr. Brooks: 9/10 (Excellent Thiller)
    P.S. I love you: 5/10 (Typical chick flick. The wife liked it)
    Elizabeth I & II: 8/10 (Cate Blanchett is an awesome actress. Great movies. Good lines. "My **** wear my colors!" hells yeah.)
    The Pursuit of Happyness: 9/10 (Another homerun for Will Smith. Great movie)
    Monster: 9/10 (Holy ***.)
    jlzimmerman:
    I HATE THIS MOVIE! I ABHORRED IT! It made me feel dumb after that :(... I am sorry I bash it so much, but no wonder why it got the rating of "rotten" on rottentomatoes.com No good story, terrible script, bad acting, super childish robot-man interaction, and awfully boring and way too long action scenes that did not impress at all! Its why we dont hear abt the franchise anymore. Blah. There was a point where I literally wanted to PUNCH the screen! It made me so angry. The only other movie that has done that before was Max Payne - and I had such high hopes for that movie because I looove the game! But the short I filmed inspired by the game was better than that movie! Too bad I watched Transformers till the end. It was like smoking a bad cigar - I had to watch something better after that. And dont get me wrong - I am a sucker for sci-fi movies! And I love robots... and megan fox... but come onnn!!
    Renaissance_Man:
    jlzimmerman:
    I HATE THIS MOVIE! I ABHORRED IT! It made me feel dumb after that :(... I am sorry I bash it so much, but no wonder why it got the rating of "rotten" on rottentomatoes.com No good story, terrible script, bad acting, super childish robot-man interaction, and awfully boring and way too long action scenes that did not impress at all! Its why we dont hear abt the franchise anymore. Blah. There was a point where I literally wanted to PUNCH the screen! It made me so angry. The only other movie that has done that before was Max Payne - and I had such high hopes for that movie because I looove the game! But the short I filmed inspired by the game was better than that movie! Too bad I watched Transformers till the end. It was like smoking a bad cigar - I had to watch something better after that. And dont get me wrong - I am a sucker for sci-fi movies! And I love robots... and megan fox... but come onnn!!
    Ah come on... I didn't really like Transformers 2 either - despite the immense amount of epic action, I didn't feel pulled into the story once. But Megan Fox alone makes this movie worth watching - particularly in the first scene on the motorcycle....

WIN ;-)

Hays:
    Renaissance_Man:
    jlzimmerman:
    Ah come on... I didn't really like Transformers 2 either - despite the immense amount of epic action, I didn't feel pulled into the story once. But Megan Fox alone makes this movie worth watching - particularly in the first scene on the motorcycle....

WIN ;-)
    Hahah... Yeah... My fave is when she is changing into that white dress... Completely useless thing to do, but ;)...
    Renaissance_Man:
    Hays:
    Renaissance_Man:
    jlzimmerman:

WIN ;-)
    Hahah... Yeah... My fave is when she is changing into that white dress... Completely useless thing to do, but ;)...
    Yup yup for sure.... Megan Fox = giggity giggity......giggity giggity GOO

• betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Last movie I saw was '9.' It was a FANTASTIC movie, too short. I just wanted it to keep going!
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭

How they went in to sell the new Megan Fox movie. Not sure whats its called off the top of my head. I bet all the guy did was walk in and go, "Megan Fox in underwear making out with another chick."  "SOLD!!!"

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Thewelder:

How they went in to sell the new Megan Fox movie. Not sure whats its called off the top of my head. I bet all the guy did was walk in and go, "Megan Fox in underwear making out with another chick."  "SOLD!!!"

Jennifer's Body is the name. It's probably going to be absolutely horrible from a cinematic standpoint. But, Megan Fox is in her underwear making out with another chick. What more do you really need?
  • I just saw Ben Button, fantastic movie.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    back to district 9 ...

i saw that movie and thought it was about what it feels like to be governed... from all angles.
    Wikus was supposed to be in control but isnt because he is being governed from above, and in a way from below by the people he was leading.

the Prawn with the space ship was being governed by the MNU

iduno... maybe its all the dystopian lit ive been reading but thats how i looked at it.

one of the best lines in that entire movie was when the Prawn was outside his house getting questioned and he tells Wikus to stay away from his child.
    that kinda hit home to me. all dictators go after the children and use them as pawns in one way or another.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Kuzi,

Good points, definitely see the governed form all angles portion on the movie.

My initial gut reaction was that it was more pointed toward a critique on humans,sects,nations,governments, and maybe the world as a whole in how they react to difficult situations with massive political undertones. I.E. the so called "Palestinian Refuges", the issues in Dafar, and any other humanitarian situations. Basically that people and their governments sometimes overlook the human side of the story due to the political difficulties/ramifications. That's enough ranting.

Loved the movie by the way great drama with some sci-fi to keep it interesting.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Ok.... not a movie, but Im watching The Office. I just started the 2nd season. Freakin hilarious!!!
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    smbrink:
    Ok.... not a movie, but Im watching The Office. I just started the 2nd season. Freakin hilarious!!!
    I loved when they were jumping off *** in the beginning and the Nard Dog jumped into the refrigerator box.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Back to topic at hand, I'm a big fat loser and mostly what I do when I'm not working is watch movies. I don't watch chick flicks and I'm generally not into sci-fi movies (sometime of they're very well done I like them).

Best action movie I've seen in a long time was Taken. Defiance was also very good. As for a comedy, Hangover was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time..."He's yanking his little weenus."
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Luko:
    Back to topic at hand, I'm a big fat loser and mostly what I do when I'm not working is watch movies. I don't watch chick flicks and I'm generally not into sci-fi movies (sometime of they're very well done I like them).

Best action movie I've seen in a long time was Taken. Defiance was also very good. As for a comedy, Hangover was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time..."He's yanking his little weenus."
    Just saw Defiance last weekend. Thought it was an excellent flick.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I went and saw Inglorious Basterds today. on the whole I liked it, but I also felt it was a little long winded and could have been 20 minutes shorter without really hurting the story. Aside from that, who doesn't like some **** killin'?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Just saw The Hurt Locker today and the easily just made my top 5 movie list. Talking about a great war movie, this went into the mental side of things, how stressful these bomb techs get and all the crap they have to deal with, day in, day out. And to top it all off, a woman directed it!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    With what you guys are saying about District 9, I really want to see it now. A buddy of mine said it sucked, but from what I'm hearing from you all, it sounds right up my alley.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Luko:

Holy crap!!!

We pretty much have the same taste in movies...

TAKEN is the craziest and most BADASS, well-written movie that I have seen in a LOOOOOONG time!

And I quote "The Hangover" almost everyday.... that movie ranks up there with Old School or Dumb and Dumberer....

NICE PICKS!!!
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    For those "Hangover" Lover's out there I highly recommend "the Goods"; HILARIOUS!

I really want to catch "the hurt locker" looks fantastic!
    Garen B:
    Just saw The Hurt Locker today and the easily just made my top 5 movie list. Talking about a great war movie, this went into the mental side of things, how stressful these bomb techs get and all the crap they have to deal with, day in, day out. And to top it all off, a woman directed it!
    I loved this movie! It put me into a really thoughtful mood... "War is addictive" - this was the main theme of the movie it seemed... After this movie I really sent my prayers to all the soldiers currently in Iraq and A-stan...
  • I heard the Hurt Locker and Taken were very good. I'll put them on the list.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    if you like action movies and lots of violence, see punisher warzone. I watched at my buddies house on guys night. it was AWSOME!

and another vote for star trek, I am a big star trek fan, but I dont think you need to be to appreciate this movie. I was absolutely blown away, left the theater with goosebumps, that has never happend to me. the casting was PERFECT. the story line was REALLY gutsy, they took a huge risk of pissing off a LOT of star trek fans. but the way they did it I think was perfectly acceptable. I will be buying this movie the day it comes out on dvd.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Renaissance_Man:
    Garen B:
    I loved this movie! It put me into a really thoughtful mood... "War is addictive" - this was the main theme of the movie it seemed... After this movie I really sent my prayers to all the soldiers currently in Iraq and A-stan...
    Yeah, me and Stan and another of our friends saw this. It really makes you feel tense the entire time.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    jlzimmerman:
    I heard the Hurt Locker and Taken were very good. I'll put them on the list.
    i just watched Taken for the second time. It is a great movie, and better the second time around.