Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Movie Reviews

2»

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Watched Miracle at St. Anna last night from Netflix... Incredibly long movie (2 hr 46 min), but it didn't feel long at all to me - I was blown away when I saw what time it was when it was over. The acting was superb, and the storyline very dramatic and touching. My rating:

Phenomenal Movie - should be an addition to any movie collection.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I just went and saw The Informant - good movie, pretty damn funny too.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    wow hays, I have that in my instant que, might have to watch it. my room mate said it was awsome.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    wow hays, I have that in my instant que, might have to watch it. my room mate said it was awsome.
    Lol why the "wow" ? You should definitely watch it.. I know a lot of people (especially a lot of people I know) that prefer just light movies, but I really love and appreciate the movies that strive to be touching stories and examples of fine cinematography, and I really get into my movies. Some people hate watching movies with me - if I'm into it, I hate talking, I hate moving, I don't even like eating much... I wouldn't necessarily say this movie was Film Of The Decade or such, but it was an absolutely stunning movie.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Hays:
    Watched Miracle at St. Anna last night from Netflix... Incredibly long movie (2 hr 46 min), but it didn't feel long at all to me - I was blown away when I saw what time it was when it was over. The acting was superb, and the storyline very dramatic and touching. My rating:

Phenomenal Movie - should be an addition to any movie collection.
    I read the book and was somewhat disappointed. Perhaps this one of those rare cases where the movie is actually better than the book.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Back to topic at hand, I'm a big fat loser and mostly what I do when I'm not working is watch movies. I don't watch chick flicks and I'm generally not into sci-fi movies (sometime of they're very well done I like them).

Best action movie I've seen in a long time was Taken. Defiance was also very good. As for a comedy, Hangover was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time..."He's yanking his little weenus."
    Holy crap!!!

We pretty much have the same taste in movies...

TAKEN is the craziest and most BADASS, well-written movie that I have seen in a LOOOOOONG time!

And I quote "The Hangover" almost everyday.... that movie ranks up there with Old School or Dumb and Dumberer....

NICE PICKS!!!
    Nice! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...except herpes, that *** comes back with you.

I like this thread already. With all the talk about Hurt Locker, I'm definitely gonna check that out.

Another recent rental I really liked was Mickey Rourke...dude can act. Worst movie I have seen in a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time, maybe ever, was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Holy crap, that made me want to commit violence against Brad Pitt.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Back to topic at hand, I'm a big fat loser and mostly what I do when I'm not working is watch movies. I don't watch chick flicks and I'm generally not into sci-fi movies (sometime of they're very well done I like them).

Best action movie I've seen in a long time was Taken. Defiance was also very good. As for a comedy, Hangover was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time..."He's yanking his little weenus."
    Holy crap!!!

We pretty much have the same taste in movies...

TAKEN is the craziest and most BADASS, well-written movie that I have seen in a LOOOOOONG time!

And I quote "The Hangover" almost everyday.... that movie ranks up there with Old School or Dumb and Dumberer....

NICE PICKS!!!
    Nice! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...except herpes, that *** comes back with you.

I like this thread already. With all the talk about Hurt Locker, I'm definitely gonna check that out.

Another recent rental I really liked was Mickey Rourke...dude can act. Worst movie I have seen in a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time, maybe ever, was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Holy crap, that made me want to commit violence against Brad Pitt.
    Oh yeah, another very funny recent rental I got was Role Models...that was funny, not Hangover funny, but pretty good.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    If you are a thriller genre movie fan; do yourself a favor and go rent "State of Play" with Affleck and Crowe, pretty good flick.
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Just watched The Informant earlier today. Not a bad movie. Some nice little twists and turns. Definitely a rental though.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I watched District 9 last night in Blu-ray, I loved it, thought it was a very inventive idea although the plot is pretty basic....more so inventive in the style and the acting, it was quite hilarious for a sci fi flick, I will definately watch this again sometime. Its been setup for a sequel which is good...Wickers is awesome! lol
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I agree - District 9 was Great!
  • Options
    Watched Paranormal Activity last night...meh....its hard to get scared about anything in the movies after watching The Exorcist when you're 7.......
  • Options
    Avatar was very good. Probably the best movie, visually, I've ever seen.

Black Snake Moan. Great movie. Well done. Seeing Christina Ricci naked was an added bonus. Yum.

Shooter. Very Good. The advisors to the writer/director did a good job not letting hollywood go over the top with it all.

The Exorcist - The Beginning. Terrible movie.

• Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    jlzimmerman:
    Black Snake Moan. Great movie. Well done. Seeing Christina Ricci naked was an added bonus.

Woo Hoo!!! Just qued it!!!

Ever since I saw The Addams Family when I was a wee lad...
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I saw Daybreakers this weekend. I liked the idea of it and how it was playing out, but it didn't have the WOW effect I was hoping for.

I can't wait for Legion, but I fear it will be a "story book ending". I'm still excited to find out.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Loved District 9...had no idea what to expect other than that it was about aliens...it was pretty unique and awesome.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Loved District 9...had no idea what to expect other than that it was about aliens...it was pretty unique and awesome.
    Anyone else kinda think District 9 was Racist????

I don't know what race, but definately was a wee bit offensive to someone, somewhere..... Good movie though!!!
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Luko:
    Fourtotheflush:
    Anyone else kinda think District 9 was Racist????

I don't know what race, but definately was a wee bit offensive to someone, somewhere..... Good movie though!!!
    I think it was actually meant to be racist towards the prawn lol
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I just saw I hope they serve beer in hell. Overall a good movie, it had it's funny parts but not as funny as hangover. It is a bit childish for these guys being in college but the nudity makes up for it. Def. see the uncut version. Not a good 1st date movie or one to share with the kids but guys night would be perfect. 7 out of 10.