Home General Discussion
Options

Do you own this humidor?

Comments

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I own this exact one as well. The seal is a real problem, I must admit. However, I have an electronic humidifier and plenty of humi-bags or crystals going in and out from sending stuff to people...so it has never really been an issue. If your looking for the most solid construction possible, this is not the one to go with. If your looking for a great size at a great price and dont mind working with it a little bit-----buy away.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    My humidor came from this same guy on ebay. I've been pretty satisfied with the quality thus far. Mine has no glass so I have no problems with it holding humidity or temperature. Mine also said it holds 300 cigars. It's full with a little over a hunded cigars, but most of mine are 50-60 in ring gauge so I don't really expect it to hold anywhere near what they advertise. My lock works. A lot of my cigars have been in there for nearly 6 months and I've enjoyed the taste of each and every one of them. And he doesn't specify as to whether it's spanish cedar or not, but I have plenty of cigar boxes that are spanish cedar and they sure smell the same to me! I'm not afficianado, and I'm not really trying to be. Just a guy who enjoys a good smoke and enjoys learning about them. I could see questions rising with the seals of the humidors containing glass, but I'm very satisified with the humidor that I have from that particular seller and I'll probably buy more products from him the future.

Cheers!
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Here's what the seller said in an email to me:

First of all, our humidor is not the most expensive one you will find out there. However I am very confident that the humidor has a good seal. Our humidor has LIP on the lid which create a good seal that is flush. As you can see in our picture that even the bottom shelve has the LIP which will cover the humidor when its close. This will create a seal that hold humidity. I can not promise you that this is the best but it is the best for its price. If you are looking into putting expensive cigar then this will not be the humidor you will need. However if you want a Humidor that look really good and hold humidity then this is the one. If you have any question or concern please let me know.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    rad1964:
    Here's what the seller said in an email to me:

First of all, our humidor is not the most expensive one you will find out there. However I am very confident that the humidor has a good seal. Our humidor has LIP on the lid which create a good seal that is flush. As you can see in our picture that even the bottom shelve has the LIP which will cover the humidor when its close. This will create a seal that hold humidity. I can not promise you that this is the best but it is the best for its price. If you are looking into putting expensive cigar then this will not be the humidor you will need. However if you want a Humidor that look really good and hold humidity then this is the one. If you have any question or concern please let me know.

Thats a very honest email and its exactly how I use it. All of my expensive sticks I put in a different humidor and keep this one for boxes and friend gars.
  • Options
    The humidor is constructed of a mix of MDF, wood veneer and Honduran Mahogany wood interior lining. The dividers are lined with Spanish cedar.

The advantage of using MDF over hardwood is that it provides less expansion due to the humidity, resulting in less peeling and cracks. The Honduran Mahogany lined interior offers exceptional moisture absorption, and coupled with the Spanish cedar lined dividers offer a cost effective and desirable humidor.
    I suppose that's good right? I just got in (2) 3 pks of opusX in nice tins and would like to store them in it :)

• Options
    Well I guess it doesn't matter either way. I pulled the trigger. $75.76 Shipped.

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Well, I got my humi yesterday and I'm in the process of seasoning it. While it's true it won't win in beauty contests, it does seem to be holding humidity. The levels seem to be holding around 65% so far. I ordered some beads, and that should be good to go.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rad1964:
    If you are looking into putting expensive cigar then this will not be the humidor you will need.
    Its just this line that disturbs me. What exactly does this mean?! If it A.) holds humidity and B.) has the right wood inside, I do not see why you can't trust this humidor to ANY cigar regardless of its price, heritage or its bad attitude.

• Options
    rad1964:
    rad1964:
    If you are looking into putting expensive cigar then this will not be the humidor you will need.
    Its just this line that disturbs me. What exactly does this mean?! If it A.) holds humidity and B.) has the right wood inside, I do not see why you can't trust this humidor to ANY cigar regardless of its price, heritage or its bad attitude.

ummm...yeah...what the hell are they trying to say?? i think you might have been dealing with someone who doesn't know a thing about cigars/humidors..etc. I have been watching mine all day, and it's been holding steady at 65% humidity. I am going to put all kinds in there, padron 1964s, RP OWRs, Decades,..etc. If it hold humidity, then it will work for any cigar. Oh, btw...the wood seems fine. Has a nice cedar smell to it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    humidor has been working perfectly. I have added about 50 cigars and the humidity went down to about 63%, which is to be expected. Check again tonight to see if it went back up. So far, so good. i have been pleased.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I just got mine in today. I had to tighten the bottom hinge screws, but there,s still enough of a gap that I am wondering how this will hold the humidity. The bottom panel, on the left side has the noticeable gap.
    Also you can't let the bottom panel "hang" because the hinges and screws just won't hold the doors weight.
    The top panel is made of the "not so thick" variety of glass. Not as thick as my 50 Ct Humidor. The top panel also has absolutely no suction sound and fails the dollar bill test. I need to buy some sort of rubber grommet. If I can get this sealed up for under $10 it will be worth the money.

Krieg yours doesn't have any gaps and the top is a tight fit?

• Options
    rad1964:
    I just got mine in today. I had to tighten the bottom hinge screws, but there,s still enough of a gap that I am wondering how this will hold the humidity. The bottom panel, on the left side has the noticeable gap.
    Also you can't let the bottom panel "hang" because the hinges and screws just won't hold the doors weight.
    The top panel is made of the "not so thick" variety of glass. Not as thick as my 50 Ct Humidor. The top panel also has absolutely no suction sound and fails the dollar bill test. I need to buy some sort of rubber grommet. If I can get this sealed up for under $10 it will be worth the money.

Krieg yours doesn't have any gaps and the top is a tight fit?

The top isn't as tight as I would like it, but it seems to be holding a seal. I also thought about getting a rubber seal, but it seems to work ok for now.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I'm off to the hardware store now to see if I can find an appropriate product that won't effect cigar flavor.
    I will report back

I just started to season the humidor with a small bowl of distilled water, sitting on shelf two.
    I have ready for launch a new digital hygrometer being calibrated and 4 of the cigar-tube type humidifiers I am going to use.

I can't wait for the seasoning to finish because I just got in batch one of three I ordered for my birthday.

• Options
    I ended up buying a small 1.25 fl oz of clear waterproof 100% silicone. Is there a sane voice to say no don't do it before I try this?

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rad1964:
    I ended up buying a small 1.25 fl oz of clear waterproof 100% silicone. Is there a sane voice to say no don't do it before I try this?

If it's good enough for boobies, I'd say it's good enough for your 'gars... but as long as it doesn't leave an order whence dry, I'd say GO!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Lasabar, I needed someone else to blame for my mistakes :D j/k

• Options
    let us know how it goes, it took about two days for me to get mine seasoned. it's holding steady now at 68%.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Well, I decided not to 'caulk' my humidor. At least at this point. I finished seasoning it and things looked ok as far as my hygrometer was concerned so bam. I filled it with 150 cigars last night. When I got up this morning, it was a marvel to look at. Pictures soon.

• Options
    sweet, how much room do you have left after you put those sticks in?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    You could always get some of the thin weatherstripping with the adhesive backing if you don't want to caulk it and you need to do something. It also has the advantage of being fairly easy to remove if you don't like it.
  • Options
    I would have thought while having "Caulk"in your humi is more rigid of a solution, I don't think that it will hold humidity well...
    Have you thought to "****" your humi? That will do better for humidity I think, just watch for mold
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    I would have thought while having "Caulk"in your humi is more rigid of a solution, I don't think that it will hold humidity well...
    Have you thought to "****" your humi? That will do better for humidity I think, just watch for mold
    What the heck is "****" my humidor mean? lol

• Options
    rad1964:
    Lasabar:
    What the heck is "****" my humidor mean? lol

Hey, your the one with "caulk" everywhere...
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Ahah I got it!

A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind man. — Monty Python

• Options
    rad1964:
    Lasabar:
    Ahah I got it!

A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind man. — Monty Pyton

Oh MAN!!!! I forgot about the Nudge Nudge Wink Wink Bit...

KnowwhatImean KnowwhatImean ay ay???
  • Options
    So I had plenty of room for my cigars, my overflow and more!

Here's the humidor after arriving. (I couldn't resist leaving in my new cigar art poster)

Here is a shot of what I perceive to be a major design flaw. If the overhang (marked by red arrows) was located on the main body of the humidor (marked by the red shadow) I wouldn't have to watch all the sides of the top storage area. As it is now I have to move all sides inward about ¼ in. grrrr

Blurry, but you can see the gap in the lower left door, even after I tightened the left hinge screws that were coming out.

Top storage - 53 Sticks (so far) The divider does not do its job well. It fits snug against either side but anywhere else it falls, telling me that whoever was in charge of quality control may have been drinking

Shelf 1 - 25 sticks

Shelf 2 - 25 sticks

Shelf 3 - 21 sticks

Bottom of humidor - 36 sticks

The Humidor

I fit in, so far @180 Cigars with an estimated room for another 175.

355 Cigars Capacity for what I collect. If I tried real hard I could probably cram in the remaining 45 to make it 400 CT.

• Options
    Looks great. Wish ya lots luck with it.
  • Options
    I wish I had central Air... for the price you paid I'd almost buy one RIGHT NOW.... but then they'd all be cooked come next summer... boo!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thats a very very very nice collection of sticks rad ...Is that a AF Anejo 55 I see ? The Anejos , especially the #77 "Shark" is in my top 3-4 I have ever smoked .
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Looks great. Love the pics and the collection. What is it about seeing pics of other people's humidors and cigar collections that makes me so happy?