Home Cigar 101
Options

How to ship cigars

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    And don't tell usps what you are shipping they will charge more and you have to give them a phone number so that the receiver has to go to the post office and show ID
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    arch72 said:
    And don't tell usps what you are shipping they will charge more and you have to give them a phone number so that the receiver has to go to the post office and show ID
    Good to know. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    arch72 said:
    Really? Is this part of the new FDA ****?

Last I heard, there was not an actual restriction on tobacco shipments but some USPS employees are confused because they don't really understand their own rules.

But I agree. Because of the potential for this to happen,.... don't mention cigars, or tobacco.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter-in-law works for USPS and I know just how scatter-brained postal workers can be, whether it's interpreting their own rules or anything else. 

I don't think there is any rule or law against shipping tobacco but I like to err on the side of caution....  'Nuff said....   B)  
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is unlawful to ship machine made tobacco products, however it is perfectly legal to ship hand rolled cigars.  This was the old way, with those fuc k ups in the FDA who knows what it is now.  I have not heard of any shipping changes as of yet though.  I'm sorry to say but your local postal worker needs a refresher course on this subject.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Looks like cigars are OK, but cigarettes and smokeless tobacco can only be mailed via USPS under certain exceptions.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

Cigarettes & Tobacco FAQ question

Cigars
    Cigars may be mailed domestically. They may also be shipped internationally unless the country you are shipping to prohibits it.

Cigarettes & Smokeless Tobacco

Most cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products may not be mailed domestically or internationally.

Definitions of Cigarettes & Smokeless Tobacco Products

NOTE: If your cigarettes and smokeless tobacco shipment may be mailed, you must have your package approved by a Postal employee at a Post Office™.

Tobacco RestrictionsExceptions for Mailing Cigarette & Smokeless Tobacco

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    arch72 said:
    Really? Is this part of the new FDA ****?

Last I heard, there was not an actual restriction on tobacco shipments but some USPS employees are confused because they don't really understand their own rules.

But I agree. Because of the potential for this to happen,.... don't mention cigars, or tobacco.
    They're "Hobby Supplies". ;)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I was told they could be shipped put I had to pay like $25 and give the phone number of the person it was going to so they could call them when it got to there post office so they could come down and show ID so that they kn ow they are over 18 years of age. I don't know if this is true but that is what she said. I know after hearing that I will NOT tell them what is in anything I send lol
  • Options
    That was all a scam.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I thought it was bull also lol
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep pure bullshit.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigars are fine to ship!! I had one guy at the po deny me...then I pulled out the rules and regulations only to get a I'm sorry for wasting your time. USPS people are just flat stupid and think tobacco is tobacco! I fight them every now and again to just hear the same things over and over and still get it out. As for what they do with the packages I wish I took a vid but yes they throw them around in the truck and don't care about it. I was on a job waiting and a usps guy was just flinging the boxes around! Yeas throwing them around like a football! These people make me want to get a a$$ ton of insurance every time I mail cigars
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Insurance doesn't mean anything.

• Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Insurance doesn't mean anything.
    Yeah, didn't do me any good.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being in the Transportation field, I know a little about shipping items including USPS. You would be amazed how little even supervisors know about their own rules.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Diver43 said:
    Being in the Transportation field, I know a little about shipping items including USPS. You would be amazed how little even supervisors know about their own rules.
    Tell me about it I talked to my usps postmaster and she didn't know if I could ship cigars or not so she had to check with some others no find out for me.She got back to 3 days later and said it was all good ther are no restrictions on shipping cigars.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mail gars three or four times a week. The post office invariably requires me to press a button attesting that there isn't “... anything inside the package that is liquid, fragile, perishable, and potentially hazardous, such as lithium battery or perfume?” ... but the subject of gars has never come up.

Why would it?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    I like the Easy Sealer, I was able to make a bag with one finger for a naked cigar and leave the rest of the bag open to hold the rest of the cigars and a small Boveda pack.
  • Options
    Found it. Bump!

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People still get newspapers? Man this thread is old lol. I've got it though. 
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best on line shipper and packer i have found is SBC.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually stuff the Small FRB with a solid “forum 5r” to prevent movement during shipping. May add some bubble wrap if I can squeeze it in. USPS is definitely the way to go

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    When asked by USPS, My reply: "GIFTS"
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    Are these USPS clerks asking you "What's in your box"? The standard question,...  "does this contain anything flammable, perishable, liquid, etc" is the only thing they need to be asking. Maybe they're just trying to get you to help them determine if the contents are  flammable, perishable, liquid, etc, but we know that handmade cigars are legal to ship via USPS. Many postal clerks do not know this. And that's where the trouble starts.   
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Are these USPS clerks asking you "What's in your box"? The standard question,...  "does this contain anything flammable, perishable, liquid, etc" is the only thing they need to be asking. Maybe they're just trying to get you to help them determine if the contents are  flammable, perishable, liquid, etc, but we know that handmade cigars are legal to ship via USPS. Many postal clerks do not know this. And that's where the trouble starts.   
    Yes. I've said this before.
    "Any liquids, flammables, perishables, or lithium batteries?"

Your answer: "No."

They should not be asking the contents of your package. I'd tell them the question they need to be asking and not answering the question they wrongly asked.