Home Cigar 101
Options

How to ship cigars

13»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've attempted to condense a complete set of instructions into one post for newbie trade virgins who need to learn the basics of shipping five cigars for their newbie trade. If I have forgotten something important, please speak up. 

Drop by the post office and grab some small flat rate boxes. 8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4". Or go online and the post office will deliver the boxes to you. Ship priority mail 1-3 days expected delivery time. You will get $50 worth of insurance included with the price, ($7.90?), plus there's a tracking number you need so we can know where it is throughout transit. You can ship from home if you have the click and ship set up on your computer or you can ship from the post office. Most post offices have self service kiosks and those are convenient, or you can walk up to the desk clerk and let them help you. DO NOT chat with the clerk about the contents of your package. Although it's perfectly legal for an individual to ship premium cigars, some postal clerks will freak out at the idea because they don't know their own rules well enough. Just answer "no" to all the standard questions, "Any liquids, flammables, perishables, or lithium batteries?" 

Use care in packaging your cigars. Any cigars without cello, (naked cigars) are more vulnerable to damage in transit. Consider saving a few used cellos for use in with any naked cigars for transport. Or keep naked cigars separated in some manner so they do not rub up against other cigars.  Put your cigars in a ziploc style baggie. Quart freezer size ziplocs are ideal. Water pillows are not a good idea in my opinion because they can leak out in some circumstances. Bovedas are OK but neither are necessary for just a three day trip. Squeeze out any excess air and seal the baggie. Surround the cigars with bubble wrap, crumpled newspapers or packing peanuts. Close the box without sealing it up and shake it. If anything moves when you shake it, add more packing material and shake it again. Repeat until nothing moves because these packages get tossed and dropped repeatedly.  And fill out complete shipping address and return address on package legibly and in ink that won't wash off, because sometimes there's rain getting on them. You will get the tracking number on your receipt.  

• Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh crap.  I just shipped a box today and didn't do half of this.....  Hope the recipient doesn't get PO'd at me......
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    Ya'll think shipping cigars is hard and the lack of knowledge of the shipping clerk is frustrating, try flying with firearms and dealing with airline employee's.... smh
  • Options

Bump for @raidermike

• Options
    raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

Things are about to get interesting...

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    Note, you forgot the note. I usually write one them seal the box, with the note still on the table.

Glad I’m not the only one

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    Note, you forgot the note. I usually write one them seal the box, with the note still on the table.

Wait. You are supposed to put notes?
    Dammit. I always forget something.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken.

No note for you!

Things are about to get interesting...

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suck at remembering the note. I think I've remembered twice out of all the months I've sent out lotto winnings.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    A note counts as one cigar toward the fiver. Now will you remember?

Fourvers are déclassé.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are not fourvers, they are fourskies.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Same goes for fourskies!

• Options
    CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

Bumping for the noobs like me.

Also a quick question. I just shipped out a box today. It was "Priority Mail 3-Day Regional Rate Box A" with the standard $50 insurance and tracking number. According to their website it should have been $8.04.

However they charged me $10.34. Do they charge more for doing it in person versus on-line now, or am I missing something?
    I don't mind the extra, but I am just confused why the difference.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe they do charge more in-person, like a "counter charge".

You'd have to set up an account, then purchase and print the label online. Hint: it's easy and the USPS has a great address book, so once you enter one of your forum targets in there, you can bomb them more easily the next time. And if you really want to simplify things, buy some 2-per-page labels.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I use plain old paper to print the label with my ink-jet home printer, then I tape over the address and bar code with clear packing tape. That way the ink won't run if they get a little rain on them.
    (Does everybody own a tape gun, or just me?)

• Options

I sprung for some stick-on shipping label paper but I still tape over the address with one of my tape guns.

• Options
    CtheHamCtheHam Posts: 205 ✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    I believe they do charge more in-person, like a "counter charge".

You'd have to set up an account, then purchase and print the label online. Hint: it's easy and the USPS has a great address book, so once you enter one of your forum targets in there, you can bomb them more easily the next time. And if you really want to simplify things, buy some 2-per-page labels.

Thank you I will do that. Great idea.
    @Bob_Luken I have a tape gun as well. Needed it for military moves.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I carry them to the counter flat rate is 8.40, don't think I'm paying anything extra and don't have to purchase labels.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here, $8.40 for the small flat rate priority box.

• Options

Regional boxes work sorts like parcel post used to.

https://www.stamps.com/usps/priority-mail-regional-rate-box/

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Hmmm disagree?

Don't look ↑