Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

drum roll please

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, welcome to Wally's World. Had to set up this picture on one of WB's Texas doilies so these sticks would feel at home, don't ya know:

WB's tapered entry actually looks better in person than it does in pictures. The tapered part is creditably firm and consistent. The thigh end is loose, true; but it smells wonderful. In size, it's getting closer to the target stick.

The boys at FairTradeTobacco are impressed.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Texas Forever.PM Davis.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    coolcontest
  • Options
    MorganGeo entered a couple of real wet sticks. I don't mean in what tobacco guys call "high case"; I don't mean damp; I mean wet. Morgan went geo splashing. These two sticks on either side of the drumstick model are so wet that the baggie they traveled in had dew inside it. The Padilla Miami riding in the box with them, it's cellophane got stuck to the cigar with dampage. The box felt twice as heavy as it should have.

So here's the good part of all that: Once that soaked wrapper dries up, it is going to pack the innerds nice and tight. Which the filler inside the shorter one with the taper, they are already nicely packed.

And from the smell, I figure this cigar, and the cheroot, are gonna taste righteous fine.

He's got the length just right. He's got the girth going on. He's got a long taper on one end and a short taper on the other. He's got a great taste working. He's got it all going on. I am drying them out now in an air-conditioned room. I may have to hit that cheroot soon as it dries.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    You want in? Only problem I am flat out of kit. Putting together a new order now. Or I could send you all burley.
    We've been so busy with the home purchase and coming move I had completely forgotten about this. I appreciate the offer, but we have our hands full at the moment and I have no idea when that's going to change. Something I'd like to try someday though.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my cigars like I like my women. ;);)
  • Options
    MorganGeo:
    I like my cigars like I like my women. ;);)
    Don't talk with your mouth full.

• Options
    One reason too I got carried away with the water was I so scared I would tear the tobacco. It felt so delicate. It was fun to play around in the tobacco leaves. I also loved the smell that remained on my hands for the remainder of the day.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    I also loved the smell that remained on my hands for the remainder of the day.
    Are we still talking about tobacco? ;^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Yep, stinkfinger is intoxicating.

Here's the first pic from FairTradeTobacco:

This brother, moniker BenBrand, lives in South Africa. My example drumstick package I mailed him has been over two weeks en route but still has not arrived. So he went ahead and experimented rolling one without an example, just from pictures. Opines as how it's probably more of an ostrich drumstick than a chicken drumstick.

I don't have the item in hand yet, of course. The mailman better get busy, or else neither Ben nor the other South African contestant will have time to roll and return. We also have a contestant from Canada.

Hey, once you get that baccer juice on your fingers, be careful not to touch your eyes. Burns.

Anybody see the monthly prize give-away on the cigar.com main page? It's the GAR Deli custom-rolled deal. I want to win that prize in a big way!

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking attempt there. This thread got my interest going. I ordered some materials and have rolled a couple regular cigars so far. Not easy. Very hard to get a smooth wrapper for me. Need to do some research.

Morgan, you need to increase your filter before posting. This is getting too easy
  • Options
    Bump for Echambers. Still trying? Need some help? Need more leaves?

Bump for Roland and Shadowin. Send them in. You can't win it unless you're in it. Don't care how it looks, I want to smoke it. If you can't stand what you got, unroll it, watch a few vids in the interwebs, and roll again. No law against that.

Second pic from a brother at the FairTradeTobacco site:

Punch Champion example on top; his roll beneath. Member goes by the name of Buck, from Vancouver BC. I surmise he learnt his mad rolling skills rolling doobies back in the 70s when he first arrived in BC as a conscientious objector. Or mebbe that was someone else. I forget.

No one from FTT has actually sent in an entry yet. So c.com is sitting in the catbird seat. It's obviously gotta be in my hand to count. Two guys from South Africa are still waiting for their example pack to arrive. No tracking on those packages, so no telling when or if they will arrive. Et by a great white shark or filched by a penguin en route to Capetown, far as we know.

• Options
    Now that is a good entry there!
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    Now that is a good entry there!
    Yeah, that' san awesome roll! BTW Mr. Most, I'm saving your rolled'un to smoke on your bday...
  • Options
    Those FTT dudes have skills!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Webmost my man, smoking that unbanned one wrapped in cello I think you said was a locally rolled and sold deal. Holy cow what flavor it has! Really enjoying it. I'd say it approaches liga privada territory.
  • Options
    Mail to and from Vancouver takes a whole week. Our friend Buck from BC sent his package in labelled "men's accessories" to fool customs. I thought that was clever.

Now, take a look at this:

The dark one is the model; the lighter one is Buck's. Holy Hannah.

Had to take a close up to find any blemishes at all:

Don't you just love that two-toned cap? I saw a rolling vid where a fellow was making some giant dark perfectos with golden ends. I have been thinking what to use to put a two toned foot on my next batch of perfectos. I like it.

Still three weeks left. I had thought that I had budgeted plenty of time for this contest. But the two contestants from South Africa still have not even received their original packages from me yet. At this point, they just have to send in what they can, working without a model, and hope the mail delivers coming this way; cause it appears to have been short-stopped going there.

The blend on this newest entry sounds delicious. Nicaraguan Viso and Aleman Capa as filler, Criollo 98 for binder and wrapper. A bit mushy in one spot; but otherwise firm throughout. Probably burn real nice. I'm looking forward to smoking it.

• Options
    WaltBasil:
    Webmost my man, smoking that unbanned one wrapped in cello I think you said was a locally rolled and sold deal. Holy cow what flavor it has! Really enjoying it. I'd say it approaches liga privada territory.
    That's your FX Smiths Sons item, the Smithdale Maduro. You like that I'll shoot you some of their Smithdale Shade and Natural too. It's a machine made revelation. That's why I like them.

Great grandpa didn't smoke junk just because he just smoked American.

• Options
    Ironically, my two biggest mistakes in arranging this contest are mirror images of each other. First, I allowed way too much time for the thing to transpire. It seems to be dragging on forever. The FTT forum has members from all over the world -- Turkey, Oz, Scandinavia, you name it. I wanted to give the mail plenty of time to travel. But my second mistake was the flip side of the first: I didn't allow anywhere near enough time for mail to travel. I sent two packages to South Africa over a month ago. So far, one arrived late last week. Big Dog over at FairTradeTobacco lives in Vanderbijlpark (extra points if you can pronounce that), hopes to mail his entry Monday. I am waiting on Ben Brand's entry, which he had to send without ever receiving the model example. We shall see whether either arrives in time.

In the interim, Big Dog sent us this very indistinct photo of his work:

Hard to tell. Looks like he might have hit close to the shape. Have to see it in the flesh. Anxious to smell tobacco grown in the veldt.

Follow through has been underwhelming so far. Between the two sites, only four out of twelve entries are on hand. Most of the other entrants at FTT appear to be laying in the weeds, practicing, perfecting, watching what others send in, waiting to find out how good theirs has to be before firing off their best shot.

Well, brothers, it's another dandy day for a murdercycle ride. I am off to scenic downtown Bethlehem PA to attend a botl.org herf at the cigar shop of a roller I have not met. Think I will fire up the big beemer bagger just to feel her solid ride at speed. Annie the BMW R1200CLC is a slab gobbler. Chews up asphalt and spits out miles. Rumbles along at 70 with the engine churning a mere 3k rpm, digital cruise control, fat butt seat, sit back and relax. Believe I may bring this Legado de Pepin that's been aging in the humidor, and a flask of Michter's rye. Great day to be alive. They say life sucks. I say, if it's gonna suck, be sure you stick your drum stick in it.

• Options
    I like your style, I like your style!! :)
  • Options
    webmost:
    Follow through has been underwhelming so far. Between the two sites, only four out of twelve entries are on hand. Most of the other entrants at FTT appear to be laying in the weeds, practicing, perfecting, watching what others send in, waiting to find out how good theirs has to be before firing off their best shot.
    Never even thought about strategy... I should have waited to see some examples before jumping the gun and being the first entry. Some of these later submissions have been darn impressive.

Enjoy the ride and the herf, webmost!
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    i agree! Smoking this bad boy right now and it does have tons of flavor. I can't identify what the flavor is exactly but it is phenomenal!
  • Options
    MorganGeo:
    Smoking this bad boy right now and it does have tons of flavor. I can't identify what the flavor is exactly but it is phenomenal!
    Toasted black bread. Some black tea. Best I can come up with.

Absolutely beyond gorgeous day here. If I can squeeze an hour out this afternoon, I'll ride to the abandoned bridge and burn one myself.

• Options
    Omygawd. Guys. Guys. Wait till you see this:

Arrived from Indiana today. Big old fatties. Firm packed and even throughout. Wrapped so nicely you can't hardly find the seam. I stuck the Punch drumstick second from left into the picture just to show what the model was. The other three are his. I don't say IndianaMac got the shape or size exact. I do affirm his unsurpassed artistry. All the way down to bands. One says "Pilotofina". The other says "Cofjero". No idea what that means. But here, right here is the kewl part:

A flat cap? Yes sir ree mac. Cooler than the other side of the pillow. Never saw that before. Check out the one with a hat band:

Is that cool? Now check out this close up:

Holy moly? Does that ever look tasty? I'm reaching for matches just looking at it. Check out the box press, too. It's a genuine box press. This fatty was too big for the box, and so the box pressed the sides flat en route. Outstanding.

I wish you brothers could be here to admire Indianamac's artistry in person. A picture does not do them justice. I wish you could smell them! Cripes! Once this is done, I am going to smoke the livingschidtoutta these bad boys. Yes I am. Anyone want to trek on down to Dull-Aware we can admire them together and fire 'em up.

Indianamac. Hoosier Daddy.

• Options
    Blendendum: I asked Indianamac what those cigar bands referred to. Turns out he has named his favorite blends. Bands them so he can say, "I feel like a polotofina today."

The one named "Cofiero" contains corojo, mata fina, and nicaraguan ligero fillers; dominican binder, and is wrapped with criollo 98. He says: "Shhhh! don't tell everybody my secret blend...." So I won't tell everybody; just you guys on the innerwebz, cause you can appreciate what he's talking about, and know how to keep a secret.

The "Pilotofina" has piloto cubano seco, mata fina, and piloto cubano viso filler, then a dominican binder, wrapped with aleman oscuro maduro.

This guy must keep quite a war chest of different leaves.

• Options
    That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that... :-)
  • Options
    webmost:
    Blendendum: I asked Indianamac what those cigar bands referred to. Turns out he has named his favorite blends. Bands them so he can say, "I feel like a polotofina today."

The one named "Cofiero" contains corojo, mata fina, and nicaraguan ligero fillers; dominican binder, and is wrapped with criollo 98. He says: "Shhhh! don't tell everybody my secret blend...." So I won't tell everybody; just you guys on the innerwebz, cause you can appreciate what he's talking about, and know how to keep a secret.

The "Pilotofina" has piloto cubano seco, mata fina, and piloto cubano viso filler, then a dominican binder, wrapped with aleman oscuro maduro.

This guy must keep quite a war chest of different leaves.

No fair!! Sounds like a ringer!! :^)

Dude definitely knows how to roll a nice cigar. I can't wait to read the reviews once you start firing these babies up!
  • Options
    You know how you read these cigar reviews and they say "tastes like leather"? Ever wonder where they get that simile? Here's where:

Second from the right is the model which I stuck in the picture. The other five are from ArizonaDave, from FairTradeTobacco forum. Along with two pieces of leather! One being the backdrop in this pic. Presently badgering Dave for an explanation.

Here's the one which impresses me most:

Firm throughout, tapers up, has that bulb, then flares after the bulb. Only thing is, it's smaller than the model. Otherwise, perfect.

Never in my life saw a flat headed cigar until yesterday; and now here's two flat head batches in two days. Weird.

AZ Dave's little one smells like it has some scent on it. Course, they all share the same scent, after sharing several days in the same bag; but I think it may be coming from that one. Maybe vanilla. His little yellow one says Nicaraguan Habano Seco filler; Turkish Prelep wrapper. Don't ask me; I can't figure a prelep from a prelim. The big honker just says #15. The slim doodle says Aleman Piloto Cubano. The bigger yellow one says Turquoise. These guys must own as many flavors of tobacco as I do cigars.

Week and a half away from judgement day. Mad O'Shea at FTT lying in the weeds, bragging how he's got four horsemen of the apocalypse or three stooges or seven samurai or whatever he calls it. Post office has two packages from South Africa strapped to two sea turtles swimming this way. Hope for a tailwind so they get here on time. Other than that we got three guys from here who sent in and the other three I think gave up.

I wanna smoke summa these.

• Options
    Hat trick day. Three different packages. One a big bag of leaves. One a mad concoction from Mad O'Shea. The other this entry from Roland:

Lemme put it this way: I honestly don't know which one looks more like the drumstick.

Roll on, Roland

• Options
    Mad O'Shea is an artist, I think.

Everyone else sends their contest entry in a plastic bag in a cardboard box. Mad sends his in this:

The two decorative bands above are velcro holding the box shut. The center black rectangle is fabrick inset into the box. The box itself is made of some pressboard material.

I open up, here's this black leaf mustache on a foam piece.

I lift that, here are what Mad call the five brothers Grimm, and two other riders..

... and tell me that one doesn't look pretty ding close.I don't say it's a smooth job. I do say it's getting close to size and shape.
    Here it is again:

Mad O'Shea at FTT. Mad skillz.