Home Non Cigar Related

Beer

I'm a beer fan. A good quality craft and import beer fan. Are there any others like me who enjoy a good stout or maybe an IPA? Some of my favorites are the Goose Island IPA and their 312. Boulevard makes a great IPA, plus an Imperial stout, Saison Brit, and a great beer called Two Jokers. For imports i'm a fan of any great belgin beer. What are some of your favorite craft beers.

Comments

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    The only IPA I've had is Breckenridge 471. I also had a Pilsner the other night that was pretty hoppy as well. I'm still getting used to it, lol. I love to try different beers though, either foreign or domestic. There's a ton of good microbreweries here in the States.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    I'm not really a dark beer fan, but I do have a Gulden Draak in my fridge right now. My favourite beers are Bavaria from the Netherlands and Asahi from Japan. Bavaria is always in my fridge.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I am in love with beer. My favorite beers are all IPA's. I love Stone IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, plus so many more... There is a bar about 50 mins away called The Flying Saucer and they have about 400 different beers in stock. I try to make it there as often as possible because there are always new beers that I have never tried. Plus, all the waitresses wear VERY short skirts and tight tops. It's pretty much the best place ever. I normaly spend all night saturday there and every sunday after noon. It's like my second home and they let me smoke my cigars so I can't beat that.

Def. try that Stone IPA, as well as anything else by them. The IPA is amazing, and the rest are just great. Also, anything brewed by Bell's is great as well.
    ejenne87:
    I am in love with beer. My favorite beers are all IPA's. I love Stone IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, plus so many more... There is a bar about 50 mins away called The Flying Saucer and they have about 400 different beers in stock. I try to make it there as often as possible because there are always new beers that I have never tried. Plus, all the waitresses wear VERY short skirts and tight tops. It's pretty much the best place ever. I normaly spend all night saturday there and every sunday after noon. It's like my second home and they let me smoke my cigars so I can't beat that.

Def. try that Stone IPA, as well as anything else by them. The IPA is amazing, and the rest are just great. Also, anything brewed by Bell's is great as well.
    Did you know they have a cigar list? I've seen a lot of reviews online that say they do, but I don't know what's on it. I was there Friday night, but you can only smoke on the deck. It cold out, so I didn't bother asking.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Love having a beer with a cigar......Some of my favs......Victory, Weyerbacher, South Hampton, Rogue
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Where to starts, hmmm...
    Rogue mocha stout
    young's double chocolate stout
    sam adam's boston lager
    fat tire
    rogue brown ale
    widmere's snow plow (seasonal)
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    There are few brews I will say no to especially if it something new to me. I have never not finished a Beer I think its a sacrilege to leave one behind even if its horrible just chug then find a better one. I am a big fan of IPA's and Stouts way too many to name and I can't say I remember the names of them all but still enjoyed them all.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO beer tastes like piss filtered through crap stained underwear. I have drank tons of beer in the past but have never liked the taste of any beer. None, zero, zilch, nada.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My son is a hospitality student in college and he took a Beer of the Worlds course. He introduced me to wheat beers and I really like them. I tend to stay away from the heavy stouts.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I really like craft beers...tonight I had the new Budweiser Golden Wheat and it was awesome...

Ok, just kidding. Just the other night I tried a bunch of new beers, including Chimay red, Great Lakes Nosferatu, Hacker Pschorr oktoberfest and a bunch of others...my favorite of the night was the Sam Adams Octoberfest. Had to beat Sam Adams beers, IMO.
    I had a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter the other night that was amazing. Another one I would recommend is the Ska Pinstripe Red if you can find it.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Yuengling Lager

Enough Said.
    Hugemoose:
    Yuengling Lager

Enough Said.
    I really want to try this. Unfortunately, the only way I know how is to travel out to where it's distributed.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Matt Marvel:
    Hugemoose:
    Yuengling Lager

Enough Said.
    I really want to try this. Unfortunately, the only way I know how is to travel out to where it's distributed.
    Do you know of a good way to ship beer? Because, I basically swim in it, and if it could get to you in good condition I'm sure I could send some out.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I had Yeungling Lager two weeks ago and wasn't all that impressed. Not a huge Lager fan, I suppose though. Yeungling Porter on the otherhand was AWESOME. And CHEAP. Loved it, wish I could get it here in Michigan.

And a huge shout-out to Goose Island 312!!! What a fabulous beer.

I love beer. So much. I've been on a beer craze for many years where I will deliberately look for a different craft beer every week, so I'vie tried hundreds and hundreds of different beers out there. A few of my favorites in no particular order (I typically like darker beers - cigars, too I suppose)

Fuller's London Pride
    Fuller's London Porter
    Stone Porter
    Ann Arbor Brewing Co Porter
    Young's Double CHocolate Stout
    Guinness Draught
    New Holland Brewing Co Poet Oatmeal Stout

I love IPA, Porter, Stout, and some Reds/Ambers. My latest kick has been Oktoberfest beers. Some recent favorite Oktoberfest:
    Michigan Brewing Co, Spaten, Bell's, Sam Adam's, Hacker Pschorr (sp? lol, that's totally spelled wrong).

Sounds like there are a ton of beer lovers out there!
    Hugemoose:
    Yuengling Lager

Enough Said.
    I drank an entire quarter keg in about 4 hours. I love Yuengling, but that night it was amazing! It was my first beer after getting home from Afghanistan the first time.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    jsnake:
    IMO beer tastes like piss filtered through crap stained underwear. I have drank tons of beer in the past but have never liked the taste of any beer. None, zero, zilch, nada.
    You are not a man.
    jpclotfelter:
    jsnake:
    You are not a man.
    I have a suggestion: Bell's Oberon. try it, I know a lot of people that don't like beer that have enjoyed that brew. Just a thought.
    ejenne87:
    jpclotfelter:
    jsnake:
    You are not a man.
    I have a suggestion: Bell's Oberon. try it, I know a lot of people that don't like beer that have enjoyed that brew. Just a thought.
    I am open to some suggestions. I drank beer to get drunk when I was young. I just do not like the taste. Yeah, I will admit I drink fufu drinks. I enjoy other liquor though. Tequila, rum, whiskey, you know put hair in places you don't want it drinks. I will see if I can find that Bell's Oberon around.
  • ViseronViseron Posts: 35
    jsnake:
    ejenne87:
    jpclotfelter:
    jsnake:
    You are not a man.
    I am open to some suggestions. I drank beer to get drunk when I was young. I just do not like the taste. Yeah, I will admit I drink fufu drinks. I enjoy other liquor though. Tequila, rum, whiskey, you know put hair in places you don't want it drinks. I will see if I can find that Bell's Oberon around.
    Frambois is a beer that has alot of fruit flavor to it, that or the linenkugel berryweis. Those are beers that I usually use to get people who say they don't drink beer to initially try. Alot of beers imported from belgium and beers made in the belgin style will have a frutier flavor to them, along with a darker color and higher alcohol content.
  • rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I was a big beer snob for a while. I guess I am taking a break for now. But I live in an area where beer is abundant from everywhere! I live across the street from the best German restaurant in San Francisco (Suppenkuche) and they have so many authentic German beers on tap, it is even funny. Plus they serve each in their own special glass... just like Germany!

A few beers I have enjoyed and would certainly drink again, in no particular order:

Paulaner
    Murphys
    Hefeweizen
    any Double Cream Stout
    Lindeman Framboise Raspberry

Also I live within walking distance to this bar Toronado

jsnake:
    ejenne87:
    jpclotfelter:
    jsnake:
    You are not a man.
    If you can't find it and you really want to try it let me know. I know someone who used to work there and she might be able to hook you up. A trick that works for me some times is going to a beer/liquor store and asking them if they can get a small shipment from a distributor for you to try. Let me know if you have any luck finding it or if you need any help.
    ejenne87:
    jsnake:
    ejenne87:
    jpclotfelter:
    jsnake:
    You are not a man.
    If you can't find it and you really want to try it let me know. I know someone who used to work there and she might be able to hook you up. A trick that works for me some times is going to a beer/liquor store and asking them if they can get a small shipment from a distributor for you to try. Let me know if you have any luck finding it or if you need any help.
    I appreciate that. I will let you know. We have Boulevard Beer here in KC and I know a few other micro brew companies between here and Springfield. I will look next time I get up to the store or liquor store. Keep you posted.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    jsnake:
    I appreciate that. I will let you know. We have Boulevard Beer here in KC and I know a few other micro brew companies between here and Springfield. I will look next time I get up to the store or liquor store. Keep you posted.
    Oberon is a summer seasonal from Bell's (brewed near me in Michigan, and a fabulous recommendation I might add) they stop making it in early September. There are a few bars in KC I went to when visiting some friends there that had it on tap, not sure what bar it was but they had a ridiculous amount of beers on tap. Like 150 or something crazy.

Boulevard is a decent brewing company, I enjoyed a few of theirs while down there, but there are far better out there. Pick up a 6 pack of Blue Moon - lighter, sweeter and a great flavor. Throw an orange slice in there and it's a perfect beer for the non-beer lover.
  • ViseronViseron Posts: 35
    I'm not much of a fan of the boulevard wheat anymore. There are much better wheat beers out there. Goose Island's 312 is really good, it's out of chicago. I like Boulevards single wide IPA, also their Double Wide IPA. Just watch out for the really hoppy flavor. Boulevards smokestack series beers are also really good. Their saison and special edition saison brit are some of my favorite beers out there. They also have one called two jokers that's pretty tastey.
    TatuajeVI:
    jsnake:
    Oberon is a summer seasonal from Bell's (brewed near me in Michigan, and a fabulous recommendation I might add) they stop making it in early September. There are a few bars in KC I went to when visiting some friends there that had it on tap, not sure what bar it was but they had a ridiculous amount of beers on tap. Like 150 or something crazy.

Boulevard is a decent brewing company, I enjoyed a few of theirs while down there, but there are far better out there. Pick up a 6 pack of Blue Moon - lighter, sweeter and a great flavor. Throw an orange slice in there and it's a perfect beer for the non-beer lover.
    Nice catch, I forgot about that. It's been too long since I have been able to have a brew! Snake: still let me know, I might be able to get you some even though they are not brewing it right now (I knows people)
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Yuengling is great for the price. I also enjoy some of the beers Magic Hat puts out, depending on the time of season. My old stand-by was Rolling Rock, best beer for the price, but now that it's being re-brewed, just tastes like crap. I like a lot of Samuel Adams' and I enjoy the UFO IPA.
    betasynn:
    Yuengling is great for the price. I also enjoy some of the beers Magic Hat puts out, depending on the time of season. My old stand-by was Rolling Rock, best beer for the price, but now that it's being re-brewed, just tastes like crap. I like a lot of Samuel Adams' and I enjoy the UFO IPA.
    I was just talking with a friend about what beer she likes today and I reccomended Magic Hat, great brews! I liked rolling rock as well, before they changed it. Sam Adams is my "beer and wings" drink of choice, gotta love Buffalo Wild Wings on fight night!!
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Hugemoose I'm jelaous as hell. Thats all I drank when I was station in Norfolk Virginia
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    California is perhaps "THE" Mecca for beer in America. But I just want to give some love to a brewery that's not been mentioned in here yet, and that's Russian River. Russian River makes so many AMAZING beers. The Temptation and Consecration will blow you away. Their Pliny the Elder is easily one of the best beers I've ever had, so balanced, full of grapefruit, citrus, and caramell malts in the background. Fantastic stuff. Though I love a thick heavy Russian Imperial Stout on a cold winter day. There are so many good ones out there!

Other great breweries:

Great Lakes
    Goose Island
    Stone
    Bells
    Founders
    Three Floyd's
    Lost Abbey/Pizza Port
    Cigar City - they make some beers that are meant to be paired with cigars, like their Bolita Brown Double Nut Brown Ale
    Alesmith

Obviously, this is a very small list, but were just some that I thought of off the top of my head.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin.