Home General Discussion
Options

cigar punch question

Hi guys…
NEW cigar smoker here… loving the experimentation! So far, I'm finding that I love the 5" x 50 gauge size the best. Seems like a great relaxing 60+minute smoke to me.

So far, I feel more comfortable using a PUNCH as opposed to a cutter, tho. So, here's the question, do punches come in various sizes? I think I'd like my punch even better if it created a bigger hole.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

T.M.

Comments

• Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Most I've seen on stores or online are the same size. Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I have only seen one size of punch. You could use a cutter and adjust the amount you clip off. It doesn't have to be the entire end of the cigar. As long as it's relatively round at the end of the cigar you could cut as little as you want off. You could also use a V cutter as well. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, tman! While you're at it, why don't you introduce yourself on the Newbie Welcoming thread. I'll bump it for you.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes some are bigger than others. I have a xikar lighter with a built-in punch and it's a bigger diameter than most. And I made good use of it when I was first starting out a few years back. But then a friend showed me his xikar teardrop cutter. I bought one of those soon after and I'm still loving it. Cheap cutters let newbies make mistakes. If you decide you want to use a cutter, skip over all the crappy ones and get a Xikar. And, keep looking around the internet for a larger diameter punch and you'll find what you're looking for.

Welcome to the forum. This is the place to learn all the cigar knowledge you don't have access to on your own.

Here's one punch with three different sizes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREDO-3-IN-1-CIGAR-PUNCH-CUTTER-SQUARE-SILVER-/170908686901
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another alternative is to punch two overlapping holes to create whatever size opening you prefer. I use a punch almost exclusively - even on torpedoes and other pointy-headed vitolas because I just despise having to continually spit or pick little loose bits of tobacco out of my mouth. It seems no matter how good the cutter is, it always produces small, loose bits of tobacco that get sucked into your mouth when you draw on your stogie. Just MHO......
  • Options
    Bob Luken:

Boy, they're not VERY proud of their punch cutter, are they?? A good box of cigars can cost less than what they want for one.... LOL
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might try a "V" cutter.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xikar makes a 7mm, 9mm, and 11mm punch cutter. I like the 9mm over the 7mm and never felt to go any bigger than that
  • Options
    tmanwelltmanwell Posts: 18
    yes, I noticed that. I was sorta wondering how the "mm" translates into gauge size….
  • Options
    HA
    Yup, no chance of me buying one of those.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love using the punch now. Was hesitant at first, but saw others say that's all that they used made me give it a try. Two of my lighters have two sizes of punches built in. I have the Bugatti B-1 and the Xikar Versa
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Bugatti lighter with what I would call a medium size punch. I like this set up as it is all in one and when I go to the B&M I don't have several contraptions in my pocket. If I want a bigger hole I just punch again (does not always have to be a full size punch) to get it where I want it. I do have to say that if you want a cutter, go with a xikar. Unparalleled cutter in my young humble opinion.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    tmanwell:
    yes, I noticed that. I was sorta wondering how the "mm" translates into gauge size….

If you go to the eBay site for that 3-way punch and read the description they've posted, it give a reference for which mm size to use for which ring guage. The site is useful, if for no other reason...
  • Options
    Ah…

Then perhaps the Xikar 11mm punch ought to be just about right for a 50 gauge cigar. Perhaps??
  • Options
    Beaker38Beaker38 Posts: 183
    Welcome to the Fourm
  • Options
    tmanwell:
    Ah… Then perhaps the Xikar 11mm punch ought to be just about right for a 50 gauge cigar. Perhaps??

Close enough for government work, I'd say.....
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Another alternative is to punch two overlapping holes to create whatever size opening you prefer.
    I just recently started using a punch (still prefer a cutter) but on really big RG I have made 3 over lapping holes where it kind of looks like a three leaf clover. For this reason one size punch is all I have needed. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    AS was written there are different sizes of punches....I've seen people use a punch 2 or 3 times to make a triangle at the head of the cigar and with one guy you could see a huge difference in the volume of smoke coming out of it...but the risk of collapsing the head is a problem. I use a deep V Cut ( cats eye ) which scoops more of the middle portion of the cut unlike a regular V Cut that just moves across in a straight line.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind trying a V cutter.
    What's your preferred make/model of a "deep cut" cat's eye type cutter?
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome TM. Robusto is a good size, my favorite. Fun to try the same cigar in different sizes too. Used the guillotine type cutter forever, you can cut as shallow or deep as you want but limited to smaller ring gauges. Kelly talked me into my first v-notch cutter my last order, love it. Was using both for a while but now find myself notching everything from robusto on up. I've read the scissor type are good for everything, but afraid I'll cut myself.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bump.

Any recommendations for a V-cutter? I wanna be more like Shizz.

Any recommendations for punch size 007, 009, 011, or other for someone who smokes mostly 50 rg? I want to buy Xikar most likely. Unless someone knows about some other hotness. :)
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used a xikar v-cuter at my cigar lounge and it works great.
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realize this was brought back from the dead.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Ryan's known to necro the *** of of things.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want a super nice punch for free go join the montecristo social club.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Bump.

Any recommendations for a V-cutter? I wanna be more like Shizz.

Any recommendations for punch size 007, 009, 011, or other for someone who smokes mostly 50 rg? I want to buy Xikar most likely. Unless someone knows about some other hotness. :)
    My lighter has a 7mm and 9mm and I wouldn't need anything larger. I use the 9mm way more often than the 7mm. Would never use an 11mm. Even with a smaller punch you can punch twice to make a larger oval size hole. 9mm would probably be your best bet.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Great info Charlie.^ I'm probably looking for a 9er then. And oh yes Brad, I will be joining the Montecristo club as soon as I touch down in Colorado (Shipping is 6-8 weeks!).
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I only use a punch cutter and if i need a larger hole because the guage of the cigar is big i'll just punch another hole or partial hole. That's a whole lot of "hole" in one sentence.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have probably said this elsewhere, but I do not like the xikar punches very much. The push/pull punch can close when you are punching and usually will get stuck open after punching when it gets tobacco in it. I usually have to push down on the blade to pop the tobacco out and close the punch. It works, but the twist design makes more sense. I prefer the free Monte punch, it's actually very nice, although too heavy to carry around.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America