Home General Discussion
Options

cigar punch question

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm away from the house and forgot my cutter. I typically use a cutter. But I did have a punch with me and it took me a while to remember that. Sometimes I forget about the punches built into some of my lighters. Those are handy.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I have probably said this elsewhere, but I do not like the xikar punches very much. The push/pull punch can close when you are punching and usually will get stuck open after punching when it gets tobacco in it. I usually have to push down on the blade to pop the tobacco out and close the punch. It works, but the twist design makes more sense. I prefer the free Monte punch, it's actually very nice, although too heavy to carry around.
    I've had a Xikar element lighter for a long time, several in fact. Broke one a few months ago. Took it to my local B&M and They handed me the new improved Element model, now called the ELX. they've slightly re-designed it. Sorry to ramble. About the punch,.......One of my favorite features is the flip out punch. (9mm I think) My thought is that they (Xikar) should mount this same little flip out punch into a small thin flip out key fob. THAT would be cool. Oh, and this new ELX punch's self cleaning action actually works compared to the old Element model.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Great info Charlie.^ I'm probably looking for a 9er then. And oh yes Brad, I will be joining the Montecristo club as soon as I touch down in Colorado (Shipping is 6-8 weeks!).
    I got mine in no more than 2 weeks.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    youngryan216:
    Bump.

Any recommendations for a V-cutter? I wanna be more like Shizz.

Any recommendations for punch size 007, 009, 011, or other for someone who smokes mostly 50 rg? I want to buy Xikar most likely. Unless someone knows about some other hotness. :)
    My lighter has a 7mm and 9mm and I wouldn't need anything larger. I use the 9mm way more often than the 7mm. Would never use an 11mm. Even with a smaller punch you can punch twice to make a larger oval size hole. 9mm would probably be your best bet.
    And as I use my 7mm punch for the second time today, I realize maybe I use the 9mm more often, but not way more often as I originally stated. 7mm works well for the narrower MF Flor de las Antillas robusto I just lit up.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    youngryan216:
    Great info Charlie.^ I'm probably looking for a 9er then. And oh yes Brad, I will be joining the Montecristo club as soon as I touch down in Colorado (Shipping is 6-8 weeks!).
    Hey B-rad, is the Montecristo a 9mm? I'm just going to buy the opposite size and eventually I'll have both.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    avengethis:
    youngryan216:
    Hey B-rad, is the Montecristo a 9mm? I'm just going to buy the opposite size and eventually I'll have both.
    Uhhhh now you are going to make me get my tape measure out dude. I'll check later when I'm home and let you know.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    I have a NUB punch that is huge. Haven't used it and it is available if anyone wants it. Shoot me a PM.
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like my Xikar keychain punch, I believe it is a 9mm. Works great after more cigars Thani can remember.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    phishstyx:
    I have a NUB punch that is huge. Haven't used it and it is available if anyone wants it. Shoot me a PM.
    I'd be interested in giving it a whirl, as I've been wanting to try a larger punch. PM sent... thanks!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    peter4jc:
    phishstyx:
    I'd be interested in giving it a whirl, as I've been wanting to try a larger punch. PM sent... thanks!
    It will go out tomorrow. Enjoy.