Home Cigar 101

Biting off the tip

I was reading an article on JR Cigar on cutting and the author said that most cubans bite off the end of their cigars instead of cutting them. 1) why do they bite them instead of cutting? 2) how do you bite off the tip of the cigar while not making a bloody mess of it? Because that would be convienent to know if I am ever without a cutter.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I say that author is full of sh*t. To each his own but biting off the tip is considered bad etiquette unless it is a cigar designed for that. A cigar with a pigtail on the cap is made to be bitten off.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    College_kid:
    I was reading an article on JR Cigar on cutting and the author said that most cubans bite off the end of their cigars instead of cutting them. 1) why do they bite them instead of cutting? 2) how do you bite off the tip of the cigar while not making a bloody mess of it? Because that would be convienent to know if I am ever without a cutter.
    If you ever so carefully make a tooth incision all the way around the cap, it might be possible to get away without destroying the head. I've done it before, and it turned out alright, bits of loose tobacco in my mouth, but the cigar smoked fine and didn't unravel. I've also heard that cigar makers will simply use their thumb nail and flip the cap off as opposed to cutting it, I haven't tried that one yet.

Forgot to mention this, but biting the cigar is not really something I'd recommend if you have any other option available to you... I suppose if you are on a desert island and somehow have a supply of cigars but no cutter and you can't fashion something out of a coconut, well then bite the damn thing.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    I say that author is full of sh*t. To each his own but biting off the tip is considered bad etiquette unless it is a cigar designed for that. A cigar with a pigtail on the cap is made to be bitten off.
    On some cigars , they are so well constructed that the cap can just be peeled back perfectly with no need to bring tools into the process.. I have been working my way through a box of Bauzas that every one of them was like that.. I have seen that in Avos and a lot of Fuentes products as well.... I think biting will cause the wrapper to break and create an issue with them unwraping, but maybe just a little nip on the very end may work if caught without your cutter. I rather enjoy the whole process of preparing the cigar to be smoked.
    Well said
  • ewebeweb Posts: 20

madurofan:

cool i have one like that and did not know how the hell i was going to get in to it

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    eweb:

madurofan:

cool i have one like that and did not know how the hell i was going to get in to it

just grab hold of that little tail in your teeth (not the cap JUST the tail) and pull it right off. Its not even so much "biting" as "pulling with your teeth"
  • ewebeweb Posts: 20
    kuzi16:
    eweb:

madurofan:

just grab hold of that little tail in your teeth (not the cap JUST the tail) and pull it right off. Its not even so much "biting" as "pulling with your teeth"

That sounds oddly erotic
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Why "oddly"?
    sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

and sometimes its a giant freaking CO.......
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I suppose if you are on a desert island and somehow have a supply of cigars but no cutter and you can't fashion something out of a coconut, well then bite the damn thing.
    LMAO. Somehow all of a sudden I am seeing joz3r in "Cast Away" :P "Well Wilson, how do you like your Torpedo? Don't bite it for the love of God, use the coconut!! WIILLLSSSOOOONNN!!"
  • pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    I have had several instances where I forgot to bring a cutter or punch and had no option but to bite. I have never had a problem. It always smoked just as good. It has to be done carefully and just at the tip. I would only recommend this in a cigar emergency though. I would always use a good tool if available.
    kuzi16:

You've been hanging out with urbi too much.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    j0z3r:
    I suppose if you are on a desert island and somehow have a supply of cigars but no cutter and you can't fashion something out of a coconut, well then bite the damn thing.
    LMAO. Somehow all of a sudden I am seeing joz3r in "Cast Away" :P "Well Wilson, how do you like your Torpedo? Don't bite it for the love of God, use the coconut!! WIILLLSSSOOOONNN!!"
    HAHA! I like that one.
    pilot711:
    I have had several instances where I forgot to bring a cutter or punch and had no option but to bite. I have never had a problem. It always smoked just as good. It has to be done carefully and just at the tip. I would only recommend this in a cigar emergency though. I would always use a good tool if available.
    It happens and I'd sure as hell nip it with the teeth before I didn't smoke it!
    i have heard of, but never used a meathod of cutting cigars using finger nails. just pinch on the cap in a circle with your nails untill you break through. it sounds simple but ive never tried so i cant speak from experiance
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

Too true. I find people are often reminded of giant CO... after hanging out with me for a while.

It's probably the contrast.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

Too true. I find people are often reminded of giant CO... after hanging out with me for a while.

maybe i have been hangin out with him too much. Maybe not. I do work in a kitchen. we are some of the most vile people i know. i wouldnt have it any other way.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

LMAO. We only make fun of you bc we love ya urbs.
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

maybe i have been hangin out with him too much. Maybe not. I do work in a kitchen. we are some of the most vile people i know. i wouldnt have it any other way.
    So was Waiting a documentary of your store?
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

kinda. i mean, it was a good movie, but i felt like i just left work after watching it. the only thing different is that the servers in my store are infanately more stupid. I dont wanna go into that. i took up cigars to relax after work. i dont wanna taint cigars with work.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

kinda. i mean, it was a good movie, but i felt like i just left work after watching it. the only thing different is that the servers in my store are infanately more stupid. I dont wanna go into that. i took up cigars to relax after work. i dont wanna taint cigars with work.
    HA so you must be the manager trying to sleep with the hostess, LOL.

Seriously though I was hoping you were going to say no my store isn't nearly that gross but somehow I knew that wasn't the answer. I worked in a local Breakfast shop and at an Outback steakhouse when I was in HS and the expeirience still horrifies me when I eat out. NEVER I repeat NEVER EVER EVER Fing EVER send food back. I don't care if it has mold on it. Just ask for your money back and go elsewhere. Am I wrong here kuz?
    yeah, you kind of are wrong. we have a very watchful management staff the truely cares about their jobs. Im not even the GM and i am allowd to fire someone on the spot if i catch them putting extras in peoples food.

It does piss cooks off to get food back but if they are a good cook or chef then they know that they are in the ass kissing buisness and they want to make it right. I take pride in my work so when i have a lagit recook im ok with it. However, when i send out a steak that is clearly well dont and i get it thrown back in my face and they say "this is supposed to be well" then i get a bit pissed.

one time just this had happened. the steak had not even been cut into. i took the steak, cut it in half and put both halves back on the plate and sent it back out to them. never toutched the grill. somehow they were happy about that. the manager on duty wouldnt give them a discount. made me feel better....
    I digress.
    i cant speak for anywhere else but in my store, food safety is a top prioity. we take alot of care to get the return customers. I hope we arent few and far between.
    Thats actually quite comforting thanks. I'm definetly visiting your store if I'm around again. Cigar Friendly?
    ohio went smoke free last year.
    but not 100% --if you make 50% or more of your profit from tobacco then you can smoke inside.
    kuzi16:
    ohio went smoke free last year.
    but not 100% --if you make 50% or more of your profit from tobacco then you can smoke inside.
    That sucks. Oh well I'd stop by anyways.
    at least the shop is still smoke friendly.
    Very True. One of our cities tried to go smoke free the repealed it a few weeks later bc the business community went up in arms, truthfully claiming all it was doing was driving their customers to other cities. We ahve plenty of restaurants that have chosen to be smoke free and I'm all for that every business has a right to choose their clientele. Not have it chosen for tem by the goverment.

*steps off soapbox, puts head down and walks away*
    madurofan:
    I'm all for that every business has a right to choose their clientele. Not have it chosen for tem by the goverment.
    amen. i could even go with what france did (i cant believe i agree with those girly men over there on something) france is smoke free indoors unless you have a seperate section that is walled off and has a seperate air flow/filter/HVAC. im all for that. let those who dont want smoke not have it, and those who do, do.

he he he "do do"
    How do we disagree on everythign except politics! ... in the immortal words of Don King "Only in America"

We were talking about do do I had to bring up Don King.
    in reality we agree on a bunch of things. its the little things that we disagree about. if you look at the big picture we both think cigars are great. ... what ones are might be a different story. but im lookin at the big picture.