Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Do you even camp, Bro? Travel trailer/RV

Comments

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Been lurking and posting a little in that rv-net forum you mentioned earlier Rob. I found this awesome website that lists all the campgrounds you could think of. Including BLM areas that are free. And remote usually. They also have an app that you can purchase. Price of admission gives you the latest updated database. I paid. I love it. Found all kinds of free remote areas around me that I had no idea existed for camping. www.ultimatecampgrounds.com will get you started if you're interested.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    Been lurking and posting a little in that rv-net forum you mentioned earlier Rob. I found this awesome website that lists all the campgrounds you could think of. Including BLM areas that are free. And remote usually. They also have an app that you can purchase. Price of admission gives you the latest updated database. I paid. I love it. Found all kinds of free remote areas around me that I had no idea existed for camping. www.ultimatecampgrounds.com will get you started if you're interested.

I don't know how much experience you have with trailer-camping in the wilderness but something a lot of inexperienced folks make the mistake of is assuming all campgrounds or camping areas are ready for use by trailers or motorhomes. Two major points that must be considered are the roads in the camp area and the condition and location of trees and other obstructions. If I'm going to camp in an area that isn't a private RV park I first physically look the area over for such things as low-hanging branches that can eat up your roof, roads that have sharp turns with or without obstacles you have to maneuver around, etc. Remember, that trailer doesn't track the same as your tow vehicle does. I would NEVER pull my trailer into an area I had not first examined minutely in nothing more than my pickup. Backing a trailer out of certain predicaments can sometimes be impossible.

A directory of jillions of camping areas sounds very enticing but a vast percentage of the places listed in such a directory will be useless to most trailer or motorhome campers for reasons such as I've mentioned above.

I hope I'm not preaching to the choir but - BEEN THERE, DONE THAT..... ??
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    WaltBasil:

I don't know how much experience you have with trailer-camping in the wilderness but something a lot of inexperienced folks make the mistake of is assuming all campgrounds or camping areas are ready for use by trailers or motorhomes. Two major points that must be considered are the roads in the camp area and the condition and location of trees and other obstructions. If I'm going to camp in an area that isn't a private RV park I first physically look the area over for such things as low-hanging branches that can eat up your roof, roads that have sharp turns with or without obstacles you have to maneuver around, etc. Remember, that trailer doesn't track the same as your tow vehicle does. I would NEVER pull my trailer into an area I had not first examined minutely in nothing more than my pickup. Backing a trailer out of certain predicaments can sometimes be impossible.

A directory of jillions of camping areas sounds very enticing but a vast percentage of the places listed in such a directory will be useless to most trailer or motorhome campers for reasons such as I've mentioned above.

I hope I'm not preaching to the choir but - BEEN THERE, DONE THAT..... ??
    Of course! Always send an advanced party to recon the area before setting up camp. Thanks for looking out for us though! Not everybody may do that.
  • Options
    OK... So the big day came and went. Here are some pics of the rig. We ended up getting ready to get a new Thor RV/Motorcoach. When the in-laws found out, they offered us theirs for barely nothing - basically pay off what they owed. I couldn't turn that down. Even if we hated it, we could trade it in on that new Thor for 3 times as much as what we paid.

1989 Fleetwood Tioga 24 footer. All the amenities to include on board 3k genny. only 27k miles on it by the time they drove it to us.

Curbside views...
    Untitled

Roadside

View from the cockpit...

We've already had it out over last weekend. Really enjoyed it. Can sleep 6, but it's just the 2 of us so the dinnette never converts to a bed, and the overhead cab area gets used for storage while camped. I imagine we'll have it out at least once a month. As for a humidor, I've got my 10-pack herfador, and for longer uses I picked up that acrylic clear humidor.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Just a little bump......
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.  @FireRob

• Options
    @rsherman24   How are you buddy?

yep I'm back. 
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find Walt,  looks great for just "picking up and going" on a spur of the moment trip.  

My wife and I tented for a few days when my youngest was 3 or 4.  My back killed for days after.  The next trip we had a pop-up.  Kinda tight with the 3 kids but worked out well enough.  The mrs and I are thinking a bout a TT but want one with the beds like the pop-ups have.  We really like feeling like were sleeping in a tent, just not on the ground.

This summer is probably going to be the last with our youngest, being the only one left at home, going into his last year of high school then off into the armed forces.  Probably something small since we like to be outside near the fire pit as much as possible.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Just realized I have not been on the forum since I got the trailer and never posted pictures of it in here. We got this in Sept/Oct of 2014. Some dealership stock photos and one in the driveway from the day I picked it up.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to quite a bit. I sure miss it. Still got our gear maybe this summer if Carla's up to it well take the tent out to the lake. 
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lived in a 33' 5th wheel for 5 years, trampin for work, sold it last year and the 1 ton dually. closest I come to camping anymore is when we throw an airbed on the bikes trunk lid in case we need to sleep in somebodys living room
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My family and I love to camp,we still tent it for now but the wife and I pipe dream about a small trailer. That's one thing that Utah has going for it is great country to camp and recreate in
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congrats to both of you. I can't believe you have a full see fridge Walt. That's a really nice score, especially since you know the previous owners. 

Seeing these makes ales me want to get out. Do either of you have any trips planned?
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've graduated, in our dotage, from tenting to renting a log cabin in a state park each fall for a week. It's still camping but comfortable.
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are tent camping for the first time this summer with kids ages 6,4 and 2. We did a rustic cabin last year and had a blast. We have 2, 6 person tents so we should be good to go!
  • Options
    james40 said:
    Congrats to both of you. I can't believe you have a full see fridge Walt. That's a really nice score, especially since you know the previous owners. 

Seeing these makes ales me want to get out. Do either of you have any trips planned?
    Just got back from a three night week end trip not far from home at a RV resort. The resorts are nice because there are tons of things for the kids to do. This summer depending on weather or not our soon to be 21 year old daughter can get off work for us to take her to Vegas we might extend our trip to Branson into two weeks and add Destin Florida to the itinerary.   
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    lived in a 33' 5th wheel for 5 years, trampin for work, sold it last year and the 1 ton dually. closest I come to camping anymore is when we throw an airbed on the bikes trunk lid in case we need to sleep in somebodys living room
    That may be my retirement home. Also tossing around this idea which would allow me to make a dime to next destination. 
  • Options
    We have already sold the first RV and ended up buying a new Lance. Model 1995, the year is a 2015. We love it. So spacious inside with the slide out, yet still usable without sliding it out.weve been out in it more than I can count. I counted 33 nights out of a 3 month period spread across 12 places. We go out at least once a month, usually more. 

Ive done lots of custom mods. Solar. Shelves, beefed up converter. Bunch of improvements over existing design. Like better gas struts on the cupboards, etc. 

Has everything we wanted from lessons learned from the first RV.  Full queen bed that I can walk around both sides.  Full shower and bathroom. Full size fridge and freezer.  Huge 50 gallon tanks. TV.. DVD.  Microwave. And all this clocking in at 3700 pounds dry weight.  Can handle up to 5050 lbs total.

We got do mostly dry camping. Two generators. One big one for summer use to run the big AC unit. One inverter genny to use when the AC isn't required. It gets used if the solar doesn't charge completely on cloudy days. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Nice Walt. You can easily pull that with a 1500 truck and have room to spare. Congrats on your purchase. I'm thinking of adding solar to mine, was it really hard or do you have any lessons learned/guides you'd recommend?
  • Options
    james40 said:
    Nice Walt. You can easily pull that with a 1500 truck and have room to spare. Congrats on your purchase. I'm thinking of adding solar to mine, was it really hard or do you have any lessons learned/guides you'd recommend?
    If you're a handy man, it's quite simple. Well nuts on the roof. Ran the power lines down the fridge vent and inside the coach to the power center. unscrewing the propane line and securing it again to the fridge. 

Hardest part was getting that fridge out and back in so I could get all up in there to route the wiring. Without scratching anything. Wife helped with that. There's not a friendly edge to be found on them things.

I bought most from Renogy. 2 x100 watt panels. 400 watt controller so I can expand if i find I need more. So far I haven't. The rig never gets shut off now. Keeps itself charged. Even using the furnace all night, and keeping the porch light on, water pump on, water heater on.  Vent fans when needed. 

And with wih my beefed up Progressive Dynamics converter, I can bring my 2 group 24s from 30% to 100% in less than four hours on the genny win a manual boost mode override. 

If if you're interested in step by step details just pm me. I'll hook you up with pics too. You know how I like to detail my work. :-) 
  • Options
    Any of you have a camping trip planned for the holiday weekend?
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I really need to nail down my summer plans.  Kids are going to an Anime convention in town and the beach.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah leaving tomorrow morning.  Storms in the forecast everyday except for the day we leave.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah leaving tomorrow morning.  Storms in the forecast everyday except for the day we leave.
    where you heading to @avengethis ?  (sorry if you already said where and i missed it)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Lac Du Bay campground. It's just north of Stevens Point, WI
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lac Du Bay campground. It's just north of Stevens Point, WI
    nice, have a good time brad!
    you gonna do some fishin' while you're there?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Hopefully if we get a break in the weather.  Probably more drinking than fishing though.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't I tell you it wasn't going to be a washout?  Hope you have a ton of fun!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Yeah there's a chance of rain my whole weekend as well. It will still be some good family fun.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I had some questions, I thought I would revive this thread.

With retirement starting to get with in the next 10 years (shooting for 5, but may go longer if our plans need it), we have started to look at Class A motorhomes.

At first, we started looking in the $20k range, but after some research and talking to some big RV dealers in Texas and Florida, it seems that the can get payments in the $500/month range for a $65K motorhome.
    Which makes them a lot nicer and a ton more features.

One we looked at had a nicer kitchen and bathroom than we have in our house. 
    One thought is to go $18K down and go with something in the $65 range, which would put the financing at around $47K and about $400/month, which is a lot more breathable.

So my question.
    To those who've had RV's, what features do you have or wish you've added?

We are definitely getting a "tracking" satellite dish that tracks the satellites as you go down the road or park and have considered solar panels, but not sure about that yet.

What do you like about your RV (trailer or motorhome)?
    And how much do you use it?

We may consider a trailer or 5th wheel, but the convenience of being able to tow another vehicle that we can drive around economically is appealing, plus not having a ton of crap piled in the towing rig is another thought.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.