Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Do you even camp, Bro? Travel trailer/RV

124»

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are beyond what I would need at this point.  We are looking at moving up from our 20+ year old pop up to either a new popup or an expandable hardside (hybrid of hardside and popup).  Things I wish we had but I'm guessing will be standard on anything you are looking at is a/c, a good size bathroom in terms of rv/camper size.  Most of the bathrooms are super tiny and almost impossible to move around in.  

What type of camping/traveling are you looking at doing?

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are beyond what I would need at this point.  We are looking at moving up from our 20+ year old pop up to either a new popup or an expandable hardside (hybrid of hardside and popup).  Things I wish we had but I'm guessing will be standard on anything you are looking at is a/c, a good size bathroom in terms of rv/camper size.  Most of the bathrooms are super tiny and almost impossible to move around in.  

What type of camping/traveling are you looking at doing?

We plan on living the winters in it and traveling the country.
    Visiting family and going where we've wanted to go for some time.
    My dad has an RV membership he said he would transfer to me.
    It's like a time share thing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Comfortable bed would be top of my list. A lot of time the mattresses stick in campers/rv's
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    get an arctic package if you will be up north in the winters, have seen too many blown water/sewer tanks in the cold, air conditioning extras if you are down south in the summers.
    lived fulltime in a 33ft 5th wheel for several years, if you have a tow vehicle I guess it would depend on how long you were staying and how much extra travel you would do on your stops whether it would be economical to tow a rig or just use your hauler. really depends on how much you plan to travel Tony, have talked to folks with a class a home that wished they had just got hotel rooms for the cost
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent so much time in motel rooms in the last 20 years being bounced around the state for equipment support that I have no desire to stay in motels.
    Some nights were spent sleeping in my service truck and that was sometimes more comfortable for me.

Plus being able to pull over somewhere and sleep in my own bed is huge. We still have a lot of research to do, but are trying to make the decisions now, because we are looking at getting a new car and that will be just about paid off when we go to get an RV. 

So we will have to either plan on having a tow vehicle or an RV with a car trailer

We want to be in a position to be comfortable money wise.
    In 5 years, my pension will be $2800/month and will increase each year I put in. Then if I draw SS at 62, my benefits will be $2100/month and increases to max, about $2600/month if I wait until 65. Then there is the wife's pension and SS. Combined will be a little less that we make now. But with no mortgage or car payments, should leave us in good shape.
    At least that's the game plan. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    sounds like a great plan Tony. I started planning for retirement years ago but then life got in the way
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice plan Tony sounds like you have a good goal and path to achieve it laid out well, enjoy and hope everything works out as well as you hope if not better!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But... will it have a built-in humidor?  That's the question...
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday we moved into the RV world. Nice upgrade from our pop-up. It's a 1988 26' Winnebago. More room, bathroom and ability to tow. No more needing 2 vehicles for camping.

Does 'ability to tow' mean you'll pull a 'toad' (towed vehicle) so you don't have to break camp to run to the store or whatever?
  • Options
    We can with people so they have vehicles if needed. It is an option but not something we are really planning on.

Yeah I'm thinking I might need to get a humidor for it
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    That will work great for your fishing/hunting adventures along with an occasional world tour
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Class A Georgie Boy and loved it.  As recommended, make sure you have a good bed and make sure the bathroom and shower are roomy and comfortable to move around in.
  • Options
    2hand2hand Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    This thread doesn't seem to get much attention, but I'll post my cents worth anyway. The Forest River Forum is where I go to talk camping, campers and other things related/not related.  Good bunch of folk there.  Two threads I pay particular attention to are "Things You See In An RV Park" and my own recently created thread "Stogies and Camping".

Lots of useful info and helpful advice.
    If you don't like women drivers, then stay off the sidewalk.
  • Options
    Not too shabby, my GOOD friend...
  • Options
    @peter4jc we are at our normal spot for Labor Day. You are welcome to come on up. Even stay a night of you want! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Nice setup Brad, outdoor kitchen is right up your alley.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image may contain one or more people and outdoor
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ that might be the most beautiful coolness I have seen in a long time.

Meanwhile, maybe you guys can help with this right here:

My grandson's rock band is going on their first tour this summer. One of them has a Suburban with which to tow a little something. I would love to score them a small travel trailer, about the size of an Airstream Bambi or a Casita Camper.... just enough to stow some band gear, but with a bed in it so that one of them can bring a girl back & hang a sock on the doorknob. Best of all would be a toy hauler, so they could shove a ton of band equip in the back & still have a couple bunks.

Of course when I asked what was their budget I got a look of blank despair. So grandpa has to bankroll this adventure, which means we are not looking for anything elaborate whatsoever. Nope no no no. Life being what it is, soon's I throw more'n three grand at the project, the kid will drive it into a ditch.

Anyone here have a line on a derelict toy hauler or cozy trailer which Grandpa can provide for these good hearted youngsters?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    @webmost if you do Facebook, there is probably a group for your area that might help you out.  I have a local camper buy/sell group I'm in with those types of things all the time.  Craigslist can still be a good source as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice birthday present!
    Looks great Brad, happy travels!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy **** that is huge.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    That's what she said.