Home Cigar 101

Your noob mistakes

Comments

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    I ordered from a crappy company that starts a T.
    Easily the biggest mistake I made at the beginning. My first online order was with them and immediately regretted it. It was a 12 cigar sampler with 6 different blends (2 of each). Of course, the most desirable cigar was "out of stock" and they replaced it with the least valuable cigar that was already in the sampler. Then the follow up calls began where they try to trick you into their club membership thing. Literally had to get belligerent with the lady to make her give up and leave me alone. Then I found this place :)
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jbohon:
    AshMe:
    Its the guys name. Avo Uvezian. Not an acronym. Pronounced, "Ah Voh" in a spanish accent
    Ahh... That makes sense.
    Spanish accent or not, I found out he (Avo) is a Lebanese born Armenian .

And CAO is the initials of Cano A. Ozgener. He's Armenian, but born in Turkey and has a very interesting success story. Both men have very interesting life/business stories. .
    This. Avo is a jazz musician. And he's not Hispanic. In Armenian, there is no long A sound, only "ah".
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    ^^^ Umm...I put "Ah". FYI, middle-eastern languages have their phonetics similar to spanish.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    COW and Ay-vo -- right? wrong? don't care, lol
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was thinking that ratings mattered and indicated if a cigar was good or not... Oh and inhaling cigars though I did that for months anyways since I liked it that way regardless.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Don't care?! Call the sherriff! That's a noob violation right there! Your concern in these important matters is mandatory.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never made a noob mistake. Cough cough. Oh lord where do I begin... No humi and leaving the cigar in my garage for a month before I smoked it. Inadvertent inhaling and losing my lungs. Starting with the 40ct sampler humi that was too small in about a month. Vic lighters tasting the foot, huh? I could go on and on.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Love this thread. When I started smoking handmades I was 16, and of course, I smoked my first (a Punch) like a cigarette. I was pretty green and lightheaded after that.

I smoked a Casa Magna right after they came out first thing in the morning on a 95 degree day. I couldn't stop sweating and borderline hallucinating.

Also, when I started smoking, I liked Java by Drew Estate and I left a few in my makeshift ziplocador. Made several Montecristo White and Fuente Curly Heads taste like crappy chocolate.

I also used to take off all the cellophane and bands when I got my first humi. I liked the look, but now it's impractical because of the volume and variety of my stash. Not really a mistake, just noob ideology I guess.

I could go on, but my pride won't allow it.

And I still feel like SOMEONE should have said something when I bought the Javas! Live and learn. Long ashes to you friends!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Probably half smoking cigars and saving them for later with my other unlit cigars -.- or inhaling an LFD chisel before i knew how to properly smoke a cigar. It knocked me down for the count for the rest of the night.
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Don't care?! Call the sherriff! That's a noob violation right there! Your concern in these important matters is mandatory.
    There should be disciplinary actions taken for not caring
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    and what is wrong with Bic lighters??????
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    ^^^ Nothing imho. I actually prefer them indoors. They dont marshmallow the foot of my cigars like torches do.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking Cigar Afffffffffishanados ratings were worth the trouble to hunt down a particular cigar. Then buying because I liked the band, even if half the time that worked. Thirty years later and my second go around I find samplers, bombs and 1 each please custom orders from KD at CCom works better then anything else.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest screw up was buying bundles of cheap cigars and thinking i was getting a "deal"
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    The3Stogies:
    1st humi was way too small, second turned out to be too small too.
    That has got to be the most common one. I guess its hard to imagine going from "Let me try them out" to "I need to have them all." My cabinet humidor arrives in 10 days. I have 2 200ct humis, 3 50ct, a 25ct, a tupperdor, and a 150qt coolidor.
    This thread is great. Mine, ordering ~100 cigars at the same time as the humidor...had no idea we needed a while to season it. Also, first humi 100ct (his)...two weeks later second 100ct (hers)....a few weeks after that, third 100ct humi (um, overflow)...today fourth humi (50ct aging)...add in some new tupperware, a free desktop 25ct (coffee infused)...researching coolidors now as I have 2 boxes of Camachos coming today. Man, I wish my husband would offer to build me a walk-in humi ;) The problem is, every time I get a new humidor, I just buy more cigars!! We need a support group area in this forum.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh boy... I bought a bunch of cigars on vacation and they became over humidified in the baggie. So when I tried to smoke them, of course the draw was tight. One particular cigar I pulled out and clipped the end. Draw was tight, so I replaced it in the humidor. Next day, I tried again, still too tight. Did this a couple more times, then decided just to light it up. Tasted horrible. Old spit sitting on a cigar for multiple days is not good tasting.

Anyone ever been talking and accidentally bring the "wrong" end of a cigar up to your mouth to puff? Talk about scary when the ash hits your lips and your wife just laughs.

Last tip, don't drink a few glasses of bourbon, get in a hottub, and try to make a floating ashtray out of a pop can. Also, cigars do not like to relight after they have been dunked in a hot tub.

Wish I could say I was new when I did all of these. Lol!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more... Don't let anyone rush you through a strong cigar. Wife talked me into taking her to the mall when I was smoking a tat fausto. I rushed it and finished while driving. I had to take a seat on clothing display in the store, lol!
  • First Warrior:
    My biggest screw up was buying bundles of cheap cigars and thinking i was getting a "deal"
    This! Buying tons of different smokes at auction thinking I was getting tremendous deals only to then start realizing the difference in quality vs. quatity.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    Had one problem with a bic, more my fault than the lighter, used one to try to toast strait ligero and let it get hot enough to melt the top it didn't explode or anything just shot the cap. wheel and spring out the gas had enough pressure to put out the flame.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As many of us here have said, I thought my 20 count humidor would be all I needed. Now it's one of five.

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    As many of us here have said, I thought my 20 count humidor would be all I needed. Now it's one of five.

Been there done that.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    jadelt:
    Had one problem with a bic, more my fault than the lighter, used one to try to toast strait ligero and let it get hot enough to melt the top it didn't explode or anything just shot the cap. wheel and spring out the gas had enough pressure to put out the flame.
    I had done this in my previous stint as a cigar smoker. This time around, I knew I would need something better.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    YankeeMan:

Been there done that.
    Yup.
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:

I started with a 50ct and already have 2 of those, a 20ct and a wineador... And I'm still out of space. I need the drawers for my wineador to come in so I can organize! (like that's gonna help.)

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
    Bought my first cheap 25 count humidor at a antique/junk store. It had plenty of wear on it too. I had no idea I could order the same humidor new with a dozen cigars for less than what I gave at the junk store.

On the bright side. It's got a great seal. And it's built with thicker wood than any other 25 count I've seen.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness, my noob mistakes was giving a **** what other people think. I learned to smoke what I like no matter what the band or anyone says. It's MY hobby............
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    In all seriousness, my noob mistakes was giving a **** what other people think. I learned to smoke what I like no matter what the band or anyone says. It's MY hobby............

What he said! When I went through my initial Connecticut stage, guys would always tell me to try Diesel or MoW because those are "man cigars".

I smoke everything now, but you are 100% right brother, it's MY hobby -- If I wanna buy a handfull of Macanudo Hyde Park, you better ring 'em up and shut up about the friggin LFD Chisel!

ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    bandyt09:

What he said! When I went through my initial Connecticut stage, guys would always tell me to try Diesel or MoW because those are "man cigars".

I smoke everything now, but you are 100% right brother, it's MY hobby -- If I wanna buy a handfull of Macanudo Hyde Park, you better ring 'em up and shut up about the friggin LFD Chisel!

I agree with you both. I've been taking some good natured heat because I smoke a Victor Sinclair from time to time. I like some of them and obviously so do others or they wouldn't be selling them.

YankeeMan:
    I've been taking some good natured heat because I smoke a Victor Sinclair from time to time. I like some of them and obviously so do others or they wouldn't be selling them.

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    LOL, great thread. Mine would have to be when I was moving and left my FULL 100ct humi in the car for 2 days. It had to be 130 degrees in there! I thought the world was ending, here I had amassed this HUGE collection of 50+ cigars and now they were all gone! Fortunately, I had no beetles and the guidance of Brett, Dan, and Brian calmed me down. After a couple weeks, humi was stable again and all was right again! Thanks again to my RNM brethren!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    LOL, great thread. Mine would have to be when I was moving and left my FULL 100ct humi in the car for 2 days. It had to be 130 degrees in there! I thought the world was ending, here I had amassed this HUGE collection of 50+ cigars and now they were all gone! Fortunately, I had no beetles and the guidance of Brett, Dan, and Brian calmed me down. After a couple weeks, humi was stable again and all was right again! Thanks again to my RNM brethren!
    Nothing to thank brother ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."