Home Cigar 101

Your noob mistakes

13»

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    YankeeMan:
    I've been taking some good natured heat because I smoke a Victor Sinclair from time to time. I like some of them and obviously so do others or they wouldn't be selling them.

That's why I love this place! That put a smile on my face. I think I'll rummage through my humis to see if I can find a Victor Sinclair to smoke this morning.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Bob Luken:
    YankeeMan:
    I've been taking some good natured heat because I smoke a Victor Sinclair from time to time. I like some of them and obviously so do others or they wouldn't be selling them.

That's why I love this place! That put a smile on my face. I think I'll rummage through my humis to see if I can find a Victor Sinclair to smoke this morning.

Haha. Glad you liked my little joke. And speaking of smoking cigars that other folks turn their noses up at, I had this type of situation happen with my son recently. I have him set up with a small humi and a variety of smokes but I was sure to give him plenty of my cheap sampler leftovers because I knew he'd be needing to share a lot of sticks with guys when he goes camping. (No need to cast pearls before swine, Right?) I was over at his house and I picked a cigar for myself and he picked up a connie dog rocket and I tried to steer him to a better stick. He says "No, I kinda like these". I thought to myself, "That's my boy! Smoke what you like. Not what others like."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    YankeeMan:
    Bob Luken:
    YankeeMan:

Haha. Glad you liked my little joke. And speaking of smoking cigars that other folks turn their noses up at, I had this type of situation happen with my son recently. I have him set up with a small humi and a variety of smokes but I was sure to give him plenty of my cheap sampler leftovers because I knew he'd be needing to share a lot of sticks with guys when he goes camping. (No need to cast pearls before swine, Right?) I was over at his house and I picked a cigar for myself and he picked up a connie dog rocket and I tried to steer him to a better stick. He says "No, I kinda like these". I thought to myself, "That's my boy! Smoke what you like. Not what others like."
    I really dig that Bob! I've always told anyone who will listen... I give a crao what cigar they smoke so long as they enjoy it and it's a handmade one to support the industry. Smoke what you want and I will smoke what I want and so long as no ones nose gets bent out of shape if I'm not interested in smoking something I'm not personally interested in then were all good.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • I put a half smoked cigar in back in my single tube. Besides ruining the tube, i re-lit the cigar and wanted to die. Didnt have a cutter and went "I can so do this with my teeth"....no i couldn't. i bought a bundle knock-off...nuff said. had to go back and add something. my first time using a cedar strip, god it was either i almost caught myself on fire, or i couldnt get it to stay lit.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say mine was smoking it like a cigarette. Ashingeverytime and smoking it too fast.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I misjudged the amount of time I had when I lit up a Padron 64. Had to stop smoking about half way in. Turns out that is the best cigar I've ever had...doh!!! Here it is.image
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest noon mistake I made was giving my address to mike and Jim so I could get on the mailing list...
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I've just remembered several:

"Hey, cigar.com has a forum? I should check that out."

"The Beard can be contacted by e-mail? I should try that."

"The Beard has an e-mail list I can get on? That sounds great!"

"What's this Sprint Sale?"....
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest, by far. was letting Tony (he made me a custom cue) introduce me to premium cigars. It was the best cigar I have ever had, bar none. And then he gave me 2 more and ruined me for life. Bad Tony...bad bad Tony.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest mistake was in thinking I knew about cigars when I found this place. Oh, I knew how to smoke them, slowly, and retrohale, etc. And, compared to most folks I knew, I knew a lot, I'd been smoking them for decades. But, in comparison to what I learned after coming here? I knew squat. It's been a great experience learning from y'all.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    biggest mistake was made by my wife when she thought i could keep this hobby under control and wouldn't dive headfirst into like i do any other hobby. SPace issues abound for this one, i went from 15 cigars to finding this place and to over 150 in a mater of 4 months.

next thing was buying a bunch of cigars that i didn't end up liking because they were cheap and i didn't know any better.
  • 11rocket1111rocket11 Posts: 138
    Letting my wife know of my hobby! Sometimes there should be secrets in a marriage, right?
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I dabbled about 15 years ago and back then I knew nothing of humidification, smoked the strait out of the freezer, and smoked them dry, lol probably why it didn't catch on back then!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Sliced my finger open on a guillotine cutter. Doesn't get much more noob than that...
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I cut my **** in half with a xikar once, but I had some acacia gum so it was cool.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
    youngryan216:
    I cut my **** in half with a xikar once, but I had some acacia gum so it was cool.
    Necro'd.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    youngryan216:
    Necro'd.
    Necro ****? Ewwwww
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    I gave Opatience my address so he could forward the "newsletter".
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    When the 'Boss' finally gave in and let me enjoy a cigar indoors during a long, cold winter I innocently chose an Undercrown. Christ, that smoke bomb didn't win me any points I can tell you.
    bigharpoon:
    When the 'Boss' finally gave in and let me enjoy a cigar indoors during a long, cold winter I innocently chose an Undercrown. Christ, that smoke bomb didn't win me any points I can tell you.

Bro. . .you live with Bruce Springsteen?
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still brand new but I would say my biggest mistake for me was buying not just 1 but 2 of the $29.95 humidor/sampler deals and 10 boxes of Supre Sweet cigarillos (I happen to like them). Reason I am saying this is so far out of the handmades that I have tried I would have rather had a Supre Sweet so I could atleast get some flavor going. I know they are all different but so far the batting average isnt really so hot, it is getting harder and harder to grab a sample stick apposed to a Supre Sweet due to thinking I will end up smoking yet another ultra light tasting jewel..lol I totally get the its geared for new smokers. Thats why I said it was a mistake for me. One thing does puzzle me is some of them I have no clue as to what they are. Not sure why you would not want to put the blend name on the cigar band or another band so people would actually know what they are smoking and could get more if they liked it (CAO and Greycliff). Or why add them to a sampler. So far I am not worried, trying to remain optimistic that I may like some of them but not looking good..
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note I cannot really call it a mistake as I have 2 humidors for trying what I think I may like and what I like. Which brings up another mistake (if you want to call it that), finding the auction sites and sprint sale (sprint sale being my favorite so far) lol...
  • phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    kswildcat:
    On a side note I cannot really call it a mistake as I have 2 humidors for trying what I think I may like and what I like. Which brings up another mistake (if you want to call it that), finding the auction sites and sprint sale (sprint sale being my favorite so far) lol...
    I call these good mistakes. I tend to go overboard when I am starting a new hobby, but level off soon after. I just took inventory and I have over 100 sticks with a box of Nubs and an Oliva sampler on the way. I knew it was time to back off when I started getting boxes that I didn't remember ordering. All those deals seem so sweet and the cigars look so good!
    Welcome to Narnia