Home Cigar 101

Specific freezing question.

2»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    kuzi16:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes people you can get beetles in old cigars and even cigars that have been frozen.
    then why do you freeze? please teach me. i want to know.
    to statistically decrease your chance of getting beetles.
    ok... so you are saying that YOUR infestation was the outlier.

your infestation wasnt part of this study.
    catfishbluezz:
    You've been learned.
    ya dont need to be a jerk about it.

i get that you dont like me. thats fine. but we can be civil here.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    That's just it, I'm not saying mine was. You don't understand the concept or that article you posted. I'm done here. And if you don't want to get talked to like a child, don't act like one.
    catfishbluezz:
    That's just it, I'm not saying mine was. You don't understand the concept or that article you posted. I'm done here. And if you don't want to get talked to like a child, don't act like one.
    i mean, you still didnt really explain how i am not understanding the study. let me see if this seems to be correct...

this is a study of the Time-temperature-mortality relationships for egg, larval, pupal, and adult stages of the cigarette beetle. This is not a study of the "temperature they wont hatch but is still viable if brought back above another temp"
    this study focuses on the relationship of "extremely low" temps (defined as -20*C to +5*C) to hours and "moderately low" temps (defined as +16*C to +20*C) to weeks

when the focus is on the egg and moderately low temps , this study is saying that after 6 weeks at 18*C or less, the mortality rate of tobacco beetle eggs is 100%

it says that directly in a few places including in the first paragraph, the bottom of the 3rd page in both word form and table form.

there is always a chance for an outlier based off of flaws in the study, or flaws in theory of the study, or understanding of the results of the study. however, there is no outlier listed within the context of the study.

should the study be accurate in theory, methodology, and stated interpretation of data, then so long as eggs are below 18*C for more than 6 weeks, then all eggs are no longer viable.

in a temperature of 20*C, 92.1% of all eggs hatched by week 4 . the ones that did not hatch were considered not viable eggs therefore all viable eggs had already hatched by week 6 resulting in no eggs hatching in week 6.

am i still not understanding the study?
    if not please explain how.

if there is a flaw in the study's theory, methodology, or interpretation of data i would love to learn of it.

you dont explain how i am wrong. you just keep telling me i am.
    how am i wrong? what concept am i not understanding?
    i would love to improve myself and learn here. give me the opportunity.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Mold is my biggest fear, now you guys are scaring me about beetles. Room where I keep my humi's is never more than 75f for long, right now 67f that's normal. I never freeze my cigars but if I did freeze them all and put them to rest in my humi's how could they get a secondary infestation? Where would the beetles come from? Me not freezing my cigars could possibly infest others I have bombed?
    The3Stogies:
    Mold is my biggest fear, now you guys are scaring me about beetles. Room where I keep my humi's is never more than 75f for long, right now 67f that's normal. I never freeze my cigars but if I did freeze them all and put them to rest in my humi's how could they get a secondary infestation? Where would the beetles come from? Me not freezing my cigars could possibly infest others I have bombed?
    relax
    if you did freeze your cigars and put them to rest it is very unlikely that you would get a secondary infestation. however, there are absolutely studies out there that show that tobacco beetles survive better in a flour and yeast combination than in cigar tobacco (LINK). but this is, as i said, very unlikely because everyone hates tobacco beetles and most places that have those concerns deal with them. for example: when was the last time you saw an infestation in some flour you bought?
    Though possible, the chances are extremely low.

your lack of freezing could infest others if you have an infestation. if they are hatched you would probably see them. if they arent visible(in egg form), it would depend on the viability of the eggs.

the discussion at hand seems to be on the length of time eggs are viable. this is unresolved. but i am reading and trying to figure out the flaw in my thinking that catfish pointed out. some interesting stuff out there. i would still love to talk to an Entomologist.