Home Cigar 101
Options

Newly seasoned humidor is waaaaaaay too humid

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I just want to know with a username like @22coleman why no one's insisted that he get a cooler. Too easy?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helpful is my middle name... 

I buy my greens in these 1lb clear plastic boxes. They are the best overflow tupperdors around. I have one for each of the MKE herf attendees.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Yakster said:
    I'm glad you're not using the jute/burlap sacks your other greens come in.
    I make my own underwear out of those.
    Oh! Now we know where the curmudgeony comes from.    
  • Options
    I would have guessed a hair-shirt, but your way sounds much worse.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've all seen your basement Peter. No overflow storage is necessary.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    22coleman22coleman Posts: 11
    Well I really do appreciate the help and advice. Really makes me scratch my head when the humidor “instructions” say to wipe it down like 2-3 times. 

Currently doing the damp sponge in a bowl for two weeks method- do I need to periodically add water to The sponge or good for a one time.
  • Options
    22coleman said:
    Well I really do appreciate the help and advice. Really makes me scratch my head when the humidor “instructions” say to wipe it down like 2-3 times. 

Currently doing the damp sponge in a bowl for two weeks method- do I need to periodically add water to The sponge or good for a one time.
    Add distilled water as needed. Just keep it very wet. Not so wet that it overflows the dish but not so dry that it won't drip easily if you pick it up to see if it will drip. You can also do this with a small container of distilled water without sponge, so wetter is better. The sponge is just to help avoid spillage if you jostle it around by accident. 
  • Options
    What are all your thoughts on cigar cutters? I have a standard one, is it worth investing $30-40 to get a better one? Someone recommended a kind that was around that price or is that a waste of money. 
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    22coleman said:
    What are all your thoughts on cigar cutters? I have a standard one, is it worth investing $30-40 to get a better one? Someone recommended a kind that was around that price or is that a waste of money. 
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/898522/cigar-cutters/p1 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I got a deal on a nice Xikar VX V cutter and it makes a big difference.
  • Options
    Hello all again. So coming up on my 2 week seasoning new humidor. I kept my cigars (20) in a Tupperware with 2 72 humidity Boveda. I purchased oasis caliber IV hygrometer and the humidity was remained constant at 68 in the Tupperware. I thought maybe there was an issue with the seal so I put the Tupperware inside a large freezer style zip lock bag, still 68... am I doing something wrong or perhaps the hydrometer is off... I keep it all out of the sun also... thank you
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's consistent, let it ride at 68. Your cigars will likely smoke better there than at 72 anyway
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have 72s today n there and it’s reading lower it means you cigars were just a bit dry. However, 68 is a good place to be at, and I would recommend leaving them there. There’s really no need to worry over a degree or 2. They are going to fluctuate every time you open the lid, add a stick, remove a stick, or maybe just a cloud passes by.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Ty all
  • Options
    Marko5150Marko5150 Posts: 1
    I just bought my first humidor (20-50 count) and after seasoning it with the wipe process my digital hydrometer read 71-71.  Now with 30 cigars inside it reads 72-74.  I'm using moisture pillows and the humidifier that came with it.  How do I get the range back near 71-71.  I have two Boveda 65 packs ordered
  • Options
    Marko5150 said:
    I just bought my first humidor (20-50 count) and after seasoning it with the wipe process my digital hydrometer read 71-71.  Now with 30 cigars inside it reads 72-74.  I'm using moisture pillows and the humidifier that came with it.  How do I get the range back near 71-71.  I have two Boveda 65 packs ordered
    Welcome Marco. First I want to know, are you giving just humidity readings or temperature and humidity? Your temperature needs to be lower than 70 degrees Fahrenheit.   I would advise doing nothing and let the RH drop slowly,.... unless your RH keeps climbing. You haven't mentioned any timeline on how you got to this point. Did you do this over several days or one? If you have done your seasoning too quickly I might expect it to dry out somewhat quicker. And if your Humidity keeps climbing I would just advise keeping the lid open for 30 minutes and close it up for an hour and come back to see if you changed anything. Keep making adjustments as needed. 
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob is the expert, but the best advice I can give is to not sweat it as long as you're between about 60 and about 75. I like my sticks in the mid 60s, but I have one box that runs wet between 71 and 77. It's just fine. When I pull one out to smoke from that box, I leave it on the counter for an hour first...
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    How do you know your digital hydrometer is accurate?
  • Options
    CigarToneCigarTone Posts: 1

So i am in the first day of waiting for my humidor to season is it normal for after the first day my humidity reads 82

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CigarTone said:
    So i am in the first day of waiting for my humidor to season is it normal for after the first day my humidity reads 82

First question. Once we answer your question will you just disappear or do you want to be part of the forum? I ask because we get these questions on a regular basis from people that are never seen again.
    But to answer your question. Don’t sweat it. Make sure your hygrometer is properly calibrated and wait. Don’t panic. When you first put cigars in the humidor the humidity will fluctuate as well. Could go up, could go down depending on the rh of the cigars you put in it.
    Second question. What are you using as a humidification device? If it’s not Boveda I’m going to tell you it’s wrong. Ditch it and buy boveda packs.
    And if you want to suck around head over to the Newbie welcoming thread and introduce yourself. There’s a vast amount of knowledge here. Just have some thick skin and join in.

• Options

Third question; why did you not read the first two pages of this thread before asking the same question that was already answered in this thread fourteen times?

Fourth question; @Rdp77 Can I get some of those Nice Pills you and @Bob_Luken take so that I can be as nice as you?

• Options

Nice catch Edward😂😂😂

• Options
    edited June 2022

I’m working on it Peter…hence the “in training“ lol

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Third question; why did you not read the first two pages of this thread before asking the same question that was already answered in this thread fourteen times?

>

(Cue orchestral music)..."To dream, the impossible dream..."

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    NoobNoob Posts: 2

@peter4jc said:
    Whatever you do, don't put two 65% Bovedas in there, 'cuz then you'll be at 130%.

I am very new to smoking quality cigars and keeping them in a humidor, but even though I follow that mathematical thinking, the Boveda packets claim that the large packets are good for 25 cigars and the small is good for 5 cigars, I am not trying to argue so please don't misunderstand, I am just trying to get the correct understanding.

• Options
    edited January 2023

@Noob said:

@peter4jc said:
    Whatever you do, don't put two 65% Bovedas in there, 'cuz then you'll be at 130%.

I am very new to smoking quality cigars and keeping them in a humidor, but even though I follow that mathematical thinking, the Boveda packets claim that the large packets are good for 25 cigars and the small is good for 5 cigars, I am not trying to argue so please don't misunderstand, I am just trying to get the correct understanding.

• Options

Thank you @Bob_Luken.