Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone Expecting?

We are expecting our first this Saturday. I was thinking maybe we could have a little tips sections for first time parents lol. I am so excited, but so nervous at the same time as everything is going to be new to us. Any parenting advice would gladly be excepted.

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Paul! Definitely a life-changer! My youngest is 12 and the oldest is 24 so it's been awhile since the first baby, but I remember like it was yesterday. No sage advice to offer except this - enjoy and make the most of every moment with them, because they grow up fast!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    11rocket1111rocket11 Posts: 138
    Thanks for the well wishes Puff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Congratulations. Get some sleep now bro!!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11rocket11:
    We are expecting our first this Saturday. I was thinking maybe we could have a little tips sections for first time parents lol. I am so excited, but so nervous at the same time as everything is going to be new to us. Any parenting advice would gladly be excepted.
    Adopt them out?
    There will come a time when you look at them and think, "What were we thinking? We could have had so many things."
    I'd be rich if it weren't for kids.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    11rocket11:
    Congrats! I have one coming on December 12 so I'll be about a month behind you although it's not my first.

As for advice, definitely sleep as much as possible before Saturday because it will be harder to come by for a couple months. Other than that I don't have many wise words other than I understand the nerves but when the baby comes you won't even think, you'll just take care of him/her. Don't worry you'll be fine

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    11rocket11:
    Adopt them out?
    There will come a time when you look at them and think, "What were we thinking? We could have had so many things."
    What??? I could have had a walk-in humidor!! LOL
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    james40:
    Thanks. It's already tough to come by, my wife feels its necessary to keep me awake because she is even though I have to work in the morning.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    11rocket11:
    Adopt them out?
    What??? I could have had a walk-in humidor!! LOL
    I know! We are lucky to have great friends and family that already have given us so much. That being said the amount of money we have already spent on the little one is ridiculous. I know it will be well worth it in the end :)
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    11rocket11:
    Congrats! I have one coming on December 12 so I'll be about a month behind you although it's not my first.

T As for advice, definitely sleep as much as possible before Saturday because it will be harder to come by for a couple months. Other than that I don't have many wise words other than I understand the nerves but when the baby comes you won't even think, you'll just take care of him/her. Don't worry you'll be fine

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Congrats to you as well! That must make for one busy household. One question, is there something that you think a parent must have? As in,is there anything that you, your wife, or you children couldn't live without?
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Get a cool daddy diaper bag. Got a camo one from the Bass Pro Shop. So much better than luggin around a frilly one.

Congrats man. The first couple of months are pretty rough, then it gets a little easier.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Always back up your spouse.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    Big''nBall''n:
    Always back up your spouse.
    +1
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! Don't currently have one on the way but we're working on it
  • Options
    UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    I liked having a video monitor. Allowed me to do things around the house while the baby napped. Also a good baby carrier, like the Ergo. Very useful :) Congrats and good luck!! It's a rollercoaster and a beautiful adventure!
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice is be prepared for very little sleep and make sure you take care of momma as well. The first one is a big change but you quickly figure it out.

Congrats and hope everything goes well for you!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Thank you guys for all the love and great advice. I will be trying to use all of it.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spose every man likes to daydream he was born the Beglerbeg of Tripoli back in the day when he would have a harem of 3,000 willing or die beauties. Or Nero, or the Pharoah, or the Pasha of any old place. Moctezuma was reported by those on the ground at the time to have had 500 women pregnant in his palace when the Spaniards took the lake city. That there's a feat shows not just solid carnal assiduity, but thorough knowledge of the cycles and attention to detail. Or how bout Kublai Khan, who Marco Polo tells us held a Miss China contest annually, from which his judges, following his printed criteria, selected 400 new concubines annually, who Kublai took on at Xanadu in teams of five each night, with another team waiting outside just in case. Ah, the good old days.

But, you know what? I think the most joy the Pasha got was prolly watching a thousand feet and fists churn the air at bath time, or how bout his magnificent nursing room at feeding time, just admiring the feeding equipment, or the peaceful napatorium at nap time, the tickletorium at play time -- think of all the giggling puppy piles and shrieking laughter they must have had. Yes, after a hard day snatching out hearts atop the pyramid, Moctezuma could always come back to the story room, settle down with three or four dozen adoring tots on his lap, listen to a fable, and watch his wee ones part their lips in wonder. And he'd think, you know, this, this is what it's all about.

Now you get yours.

Love is a verb.

Congrats.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I spose every man likes to daydream he was born the Beglerbeg of Tripoli back in the day when he would have a harem of 3,000 willing or die beauties. Or Nero, or the Pharoah, or the Pasha of any old place. Moctezuma was reported by those on the ground at the time to have had 500 women pregnant in his palace when the Spaniards took the lake city. That there's a feat shows not just solid carnal assiduity, but thorough knowledge of the cycles and attention to detail. Or how bout Kublai Khan, who Marco Polo tells us held a Miss China contest annually, from which his judges, following his printed criteria, selected 400 new concubines annually, who Kublai took on at Xanadu in teams of five each night, with another team waiting outside just in case. Ah, the good old days.

But, you know what? I think the most joy the Pasha got was prolly watching a thousand feet and fists churn the air at bath time, or how bout his magnificent nursing room at feeding time, just admiring the feeding equipment, or the peaceful napatorium at nap time, the tickletorium at play time -- think of all the giggling puppy piles and shrieking laughter they must have had. Yes, after a hard day snatching out hearts atop the pyramid, Moctezuma could always come back to the story room, settle down with three or four dozen adoring tots on his lap, listen to a fable, and watch his wee ones part their lips in wonder. And he'd think, you know, this, this is what it's all about.

Now you get yours.

Love is a verb.

Congrats.

photo 5F39FD10-F0C0-4DDA-8D89-D24AF9FFEA37.jpg
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, my first is now 7 months. 3 absolut life savers.... 1.) Sleep Sack, buy two... Now. These things are magical and instantly soothed and put to sleep my kid until the 4 month mark. 2.) Gripe Water. Works great for gas but works even better as a distraction. Try putting a little in his mouth then immediatley putting in a pacifier. Works great when they are really wound up. 3.) a good swing. They have all kinds of good ones out there and this too can work wonders for soothing a baby. The sleep thing isn't too bad once you get used to it. Kiss your sex life goodbye for the next 6 months, that kinda sucks. And just when you think you've had it up to here with being a father, they figure out how to smile:)
  • Options
    Also snapps or zippers. No buttons. Buttons are a pain
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.....here are my words to live by as a parent of a 12 and 17 year old:

1. Don't let ANYONE tell you that you are a bad parent if you are doing your best. There are plenty of people who will critique your parenting skills....politely tell them to shut their trap. This has been done for thousands of years, if you love them and do your best they will turn out fine.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff. Believe me, there are a WHOLE LOT of big things that will require your sweat. IMHO if you sweat the small stuff when the big things come around you will have no ground to stand on because you freaked out about the small thing.

3. Savor the time that you get to spend with them regardless of what attitude they are throwing you. It goes fast and you will be wishing you spent more time with them instead of being mad at them.

4. Give them some space. Too many parents hover over their kids and never let them explore on their own.

5. Let them fail every once and a while. One of the most important lessons a parent can teach is how to pick up the pieces after you fail.

6. MOST of all LISTEN to them. When your 8 year old is telling you a story about something that went on at school that you could care less about that will lay the groundwork for when they are 17 and trust that you will listen to them when there are really important things happening.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    webmost:

Now you get yours.

Love is a verb.

Congrats.

photo 5F39FD10-F0C0-4DDA-8D89-D24AF9FFEA37.jpg

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Huge congrats and looks like the parents on here have given you some great advice.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723:
    Huge congrats and looks like the parents on here have given you some great advice.
    They sure are, you guys have no idea how much this means to me. I appreciate all the wisdom you guys/girls are willing to throw my way. Every little bit helps.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    . Kiss your sex life goodbye for the next 6 months, that kinda sucks.
    I think your time frame is off by AT LEAST 17 and 1/2 years, unless you were able to get the kids moved out of the house a lot quicker then I have been able to. Only reason the 19 year old left the house was cause she wanted her own sex life and not to be in the same house as her 3 year old sister and two 2 year old brothers.
  • Options
    FireRob:
    Jetmech_63:
    I think your time frame is off by AT LEAST 17 and 1/2 years, unless you were able to get the kids moved out of the house a lot quicker then I have been able to. Only reason the 19 year old left the house was cause she wanted her own sex life and not to be in the same house as her 3 year old sister and two 2 year old brothers.
    i think he's about right.....mine was more like 9-12 months, but after that she was on the prowl. Hell my sex life is just about as good as when i was in my early 20s right now.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    FireRob:
    Jetmech_63:
    i think he's about right.....mine was more like 9-12 months, but after that she was on the prowl. Hell my sex life is just about as good as when i was in my early 20s right now.

Every Wednesday?

Mine is going on 11 months and still lacking. Cigars were a big help for me. Once everyone gets to bed, have a cigar and a drink and everything is good.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    brianetz1:
    FireRob:
    Jetmech_63:

Every Wednesday?

Mine is going on 11 months and still lacking. Cigars were a big help for me. Once everyone gets to bed, have a cigar and a drink and everything is good.
    wednesdays are a given......always possibilities on tuesdays and the whole weekend.....
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    This ^. My son is turning 1 in a couple weeks and still has trouble sleeping through the night. Also be prepared for your little one to start mimicking things you do in about ten months. My wife said *** and threw down a dish towel the other day and he said *** and threw his arm down right after that. Funny, but definitely not what I wanting him doing at daycare.
    Oh and congrats papa
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    brianetz1:
    FireRob:
    Jetmech_63:

Every Wednesday?

+1