Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I'm recording an album

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, I have to say I have been impressed with the caliber of individuals on this forum since I joined this summer. I want to share a little more about myself in an effort to deepen friendships and connect with like-minded individuals.

I know I am opening myself to endless ridicule for this, but tomorrow, I start recording my first album of original music.

I'll post some things here when I can, and hopefully someone might like it and maybe some might even feel something. I want it to be done in time to tour this summer.

I've been in bands before and they have never really worked out the way I hoped. This is my creation coming to life. This is my baby.

Just for fun to kick things off, I wanna post this throwback joint of me playing a Temptations tune at my parents' back in my early college days. . .
Here we go . . .
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That video doesn't work for me.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really good.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! You paying for studio time or do you own the gear yourself? I always had lots of fun with a little recorder laying tracks of electric guitar, bass, and drums. I need to get my guitar back out. . Good luck and post some stuff when you can!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    That was awesome, Ryan!! great talent. Thanks for sharing bro!
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good! I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dope. Has a Jack Johnson feel to it. I dig it a lot
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd buy it!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Nice. Clean and crisp sound.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Dammit man, now this is stuck in my head. Really really good job.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    OK, I have to admit I didn't know the song, so I went to YouTube curious to hear the original...now I have to ask, did you write the arrangement yourself? Really impressive if you did.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty Ball'n can't wait to here some more
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote yes. See you in Hollywood.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It plays on my phone, for some reason. Very nice.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job brother..you got skillz! Love the song choice. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I'd turn my chair! Nicely done!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Man, that was killer! Several years back I managed a handful of local bands and put on concerts and events and the like...honestly man, I wish some of those artists had sounded as good as you! Wish you the best of luck bro, and please share more of your adventure as you go along.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job Ryan. Makes me want to learn to play this guitar I've owned for several years
  • Options
    Thank you fellas so much for your kind words and support. It means a lot to me. I lost a lot of "friends" when my band of the last 3 years decided to give up on me this summer. One of which was my best friend, who had been my drummer since we decided to be musicians in high school.
    Just quit. Music isn't for everyone though, and some people want to have families, so I can't hold a grudge.

Enough of that story though, just background info . . . ONWARD I say!

Today was my first experience with a producer. I've never worked with a record producer before, but I picked one that is going to push me to branch out from my more traditional style. I really feel like I have something to say, and hopefully he can help me say it in a way that will resonate with folks.

I'll keep this thread going as I record. Today was a lot of deciding on tempos and planning big picture arrangements for my new tunes. Next session we start on a song called "Boxes".

As far as the throwback Temptations song goes though, I had to do some rearranging as Ken suggested to suit my style.

Until next time, long ashes brothers.
  • Options
    Good luck to you Ryan. Boxes? As in cigars? Boxes and boxes of cigars? It's a love song for sure.
  • Options
    :) I double post.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude! That's my favorite Temps song ever, and that guitar arrangement is shweet! Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff! Thanks for sharing this!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    man... wish the video worked for me.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awsome man! Thanks for posting.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff Ryan. Keep it up!!!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The video doesn't work for me either.. a Plug-in is needed. (?)
  • Options
    Hey Bob, I meant 'boxes' like a metaphor for coffins. That song is one I wrote about dead musicians and how they feel about new music. I do reference cigars in one of my other songs though -- how could I not?

If the vid isn't working, you can just youtube search " Ryan Young Temptations Wish It Would Rain" or some combo of those keywords. This is a pretty old clip though, I feel like I've grown so much since then musically. I can't wait to share, but it's a long way til the end of this record and patience is not my thing.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    The video doesn't work for me either.. a Plug-in is needed. (?)
    I got it now.. Thanks for sharing, As Randy Jackson would say, "Your Going to Hollywood ! "
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    That is some truely good stuff right there
  • Options
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    After your pre-amble I thought it was gonna be marginal and I'd have to say something nice just cuz, but damn son you got talent. Legit talent! I'd pay to go see your show. Good luck with the album. Is it going to be all original material? What kind of genre?