Home Non Cigar Related

Teach Me How To Make An Old Fashioned

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok so besides Bloody Mary's (my personal cocktail specialty), whiskey and cokes, Martina's and White Russians and margaritas are about the only mixed drinks I've ever done. I normally drink everything either neat or on the rocks. I've never made an Old Fashioned and know I don't have everything I need to do so. I know that bitters are involved and that I don't have any yet, but I've also seen just how many different flavored bitters are out there. So which one do I want and what's the "right" way to do an Old Fashioned? Thanks all! I kinda liked how LiquidChais showed pics of him making his drink, anyone able to do this since I'm a bit of a visual learner?
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Problem here is that there are different variations on how to do it. When I was a bartender long ago I made a few of these but not many. If I was to make one right now, I would have the following ingredients: sugar cube, angostura bitters, tiny amount of water, bourbon, garnish with cherry and maybe an Orange slice although I usually just kept it to a maraschino cherry.

Start with a rocks glass, and place the sugar cube. Add 2-3 dashes of bitters on top of the cube, add a small amount of water (maybe a teaspoon). At this point you mash it together and combine those ingredients with either a spoon or a wooden muddler if you have one.

Add a couple ounces of bourbon, some ice (i prefer the big cube or sphere to not water down the bourbon too much) and garnish with a cherry and orange slice if you choose. Enjoy!

A couple things to note, I have seen simple syrup used instead of sugar cube. I have seen club soda used instead of water. And I have seen people muddle the fruit when breaking down the sugar cube. The last one I don't recommend unless you want it sweeter. And I don't like the "paste" for lack of a better term that's created with mashing the cherry and sugar together.

For the bourbon I would recommend something along the lines of a Woodford Reserve. Sorry no pics!
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    So which one do I want and what's the "right" way to do an Old Fashioned?
    purists will say an old fashioned is:
    single sugar cube, soak it with three dashes of Angostura bitters, allow them to soak into the sugar (Angoustura is the standard)
    Add a tiny splash of water to help dissolve the sugar, muddle into a syrup with a cocktail muddler.
    Add two ounces of whiskey and swirl in the glass. Choose a straight bourbon or a rye.

Stop here, you're done.

but the drink's evolved over the years and has many forms these days. can be made with a twist of orange and/or orange or lemon zest, simple syrup instead of sugar cube, different bitters., marichino cherry, ice cubes, etc.

i'd say start with the Angoustura bitters since they are more or less the "standard"; then experiment down the road.

and as far as the old fashioned start with that first simple recipe, personally i prefer it with a twist of orange and ice cubes but start simple and add more/tweak the ingredients later.

also woodford's prob my fav whiskey to use in a old fashioned (not sure why) but work your way through the liquor cabinet and find your fav.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Here's how I do it, though it's not "traditional":

Take 2-3 maraschino cherries (without stems) and 2 orange slices (wash the orange first!) and put them in the bottom of a rocks glass. Add to this 2 dashes of Angostura bitters and ~1 tsp white sugar (I've never experimented with other bitters and other sugars, but I'd like to). Muddle. I use the pestle of a small mortar and pestle set for this, but they sell muddlers or you can use the back of a teaspoon fairly easily. Add ice to fill the glass. Add spirit. Anything in the whiskey ballpark will work, I like bourbon, and I think Maker's works really well in old fashioned and manhattan cocktails. I'm not sure I'd use anything closer to barrel proof. I then stir to mix all of the fruity and bitters goodness in with the spirit and allow the ice to dilute slightly and then taste. If it's too strong, I put a little cherry juice over the top. Garnish with a cherry with the stem still on.

Note: When muddling, take care to mash up the rind of the orange as well as the pulp, this will release a lot of good oils and flavor that you'd miss otherwise.

Another note: Some people don't like all that pulp floating around. In that case, after adding the spirit and stirring around to mix, get a second glass, fill will ice, and strain the one into the other. THEN taste, add cherry juice if necessary, and garnish.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up here in my part of the woods old fashioneds are a staple but are not exactly "typical"...

Start with a cherry and an orange slice, muddle in the bottom of glass with 2 dashes of bitters, add ice and a shot of simple syrup, add your bourbon/whiskey/brandy of choice and then if you like it sweet you finish with 7 up/sierra mist or if you like it sour you use a 50/50 or squirt.

If you go out to any supper club in Wisconsin any night of the week you see at least half of the patrons drinking these.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken, John and Doug thank you guys so much! I don't have a muddler or bitters yet but those are easy to locate! Ken, I need to send something back to you anyways especially since AMANDA is working on knitting something for Isaac! Since you want to try different bitters consider that taken care of. I have a few commitments I've already extended myself on so I need to take care of those first. But in February you should expect something from Amanda and I and some new bitters to try. John, love the breakdown of the classic and new twists thank you! And Doug, bro there's nothing needing to be said you always have my back and that's not something I forget or take lightly. You're one of those commitments I already made so you will be hearing from me soon my friend :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    what a waste of perfectly good bourbon! lol
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    irish ... since you don't have a muddler the back of a wooden spoon works just as well.

and those are just a few ideas for the "new twists" --- google "old fashioned" recipe and you'll get sucked into a rabbit hole with 1000s of slightly different tweaks.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

avengethis:
    Up here in my part of the woods old fashioneds are a staple but are not exactly "typical"...

Start with a cherry and an orange slice, muddle in the bottom of glass with 2 dashes of bitters, add ice and a shot of simple syrup, add your bourbon/whiskey/brandy of choice and then if you like it sweet you finish with 7 up/sierra mist or if you like it sour you use a 50/50 or squirt.

If you go out to any supper club in Wisconsin any night of the week you see at least half of the patrons drinking these.
    Awesome thank you!
    jgibv:
    irish ... since you don't have a muddler the back of a wooden spoon works just as well.

and those are just a few ideas for the "new twists" --- google "old fashioned" recipe and you'll get sucked into a rabbit hole with 1000s of slightly different tweaks.
    Yeah I hear ya, I actually have a wooden mortar and pestle so may just use that instead even. And I'm aure I would have gotten a million recipes but I know my bourbon brothers here have similar tastes to mine and wouldn't steer me wrong :)
    The Kid:
    Lol I normally just do my drink neat but keep hearing about old fashioned a and they sound good ;)
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad u started this Brett, I was wondering the same thing, never had it and wanted to try to make it. Thanks for all the info guys.
    Glock1975:
    I'm glad u started this Brett, I was wondering the same thing, never had it and wanted to try to make it. Thanks for all the info guys.
    No worries man, I'm happy to ship you anything you may need bro. You know that anything that is mine is yours, family bro.
    Glock1975:
    I know what I'll bring to Chicago for next year then. Old Fashioneds by the pitcher!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    The Kid:
    Who said use perfectly good bourbon? I said use Maker's lol
    I also have an old fashioned mix that I use. Basically you use a touch of this with your booze of choice and then either your sweet or sour. It has has the bitters and everything mixed in also with a touch of cinnamon and goes great if you use southern comfort.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Y'know, for years and years and years I've known about Old Fashioneds but never tried one.

But now with all these great recipes I absolutely HAVE to make one.
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    Bwahahahahahahaha! Hey Jen have you had the Maker's 46? I have not but I've heard that's actually surprisingly good compared to the normal Maker's. I like Makers myself but it's not a complex drink, nice and easy but not memorable.
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    Bwahahahahahahaha! Hey Jen have you had the Maker's 46? I have not but I've heard that's actually surprisingly good compared to the normal Maker's. I like Makers myself but it's not a complex drink, nice and easy but not memorable.
    I have a bottle of it up in the cupboard. Your brief synopsis of it would be a good way of puttin git.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    I have a bottle of it up in the cupboard. Your brief synopsis of it would be a good way of puttin git.
    Cool sounds like I would probably enjoy it more than the normal Maker's then. More complex but still focusing on smoothness and drinkability.
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    Cool sounds like I would probably enjoy it more than the normal Maker's then. More complex but still focusing on smoothness and drinkability.
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    Yeah, I've had it. I didn't find it much different than the original, to be honest. I'd also muddle some fruit and sugar in it. ;D
    -Jen
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    Yeah, I've had it. I didn't find it much different than the original, to be honest. I'd also muddle some fruit and sugar in it. ;D
    -Jen
    Lol I need to send you some slection of bitters to see if that changes how you like your old fashioned bro. Won't be forgetting this but may take me a bit to get out to you.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I recently made a cherry/orange simple syrup. Very easy. I just add that, bitters, bourbon, and ice and I'm good to go! I've also made a rosemary and thyme simple syrup as well. Theyre great with bourbon, but not really an old fashioned!
    mmccartneydc:
    I recently made a cherry/orange simple syrup. Very easy. I just add that, bitters, bourbon, and ice and I'm good to go! I've also made a rosemary and thyme simple syrup as well. Theyre great with bourbon, but not really an old fashioned!
    That's a cool idea for an easier version, but I'd miss eating the great bourbon-y cherries at the end. :)
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    -Jen
    Lol I need to send you some slection of bitters to see if that changes how you like your old fashioned bro. Won't be forgetting this but may take me a bit to get out to you.
    Dude, you don't need to do it at all, let alone on a deadline lol
    Ken Light:
    mmccartneydc:
    That's a cool idea for an easier version, but I'd miss eating the great bourbon-y cherries at the end. :)
    That sounds delish and yeah love alcohol soaked fruit from stuff like that. Thanks for the ideas Matt :)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I woulda seen this thread before! I would've sent you some bitters. Woodford makes a spiced cherry bitters that I prefer over angostura. Goes great in tons of drinks. The agostura reminds me of baking spices, clove, and like a gingerbread note.

makers works alright, but I think its a little light. Woodford is great, it has a bite that stands up to the ice and orange. I like it less sweet, so I go light on sugar. Orange adds a lot of sweetness to if you squeeze some juice out. I usualy do a twist of peel in there too.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Sage is good too! Especially in a rye
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    Wish I woulda seen this thread before! I would've sent you some bitters. Woodford makes a spiced cherry bitters that I prefer over angostura. Goes great in tons of drinks. The agostura reminds me of baking spices, clove, and like a gingerbread note.

makers works alright, but I think its a little light. Woodford is great, it has a bite that stands up to the ice and orange. I like it less sweet, so I go light on sugar. Orange adds a lot of sweetness to if you squeeze some juice out. I usualy do a twist of peel in there too.
    No worries Gray you've done more than enough for sure! The Woodford bitters sounds really good, hope I can find it outside of their local places and out here in Colorado! Can't wait to try some of these awesome suggestions :)
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    avengethis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Ken Light:
    The Kid:
    -Jen
    Dude, you don't need to do it at all, let alone on a deadline lol
    Lol I know but that's why I said I WANT to brother ;)