Home Non Cigar Related

Teach Me How To Make An Old Fashioned

2»

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Wish I woulda seen this thread before! I would've sent you some bitters. Woodford makes a spiced cherry bitters that I prefer over angostura. Goes great in tons of drinks. The agostura reminds me of baking spices, clove, and like a gingerbread note.

makers works alright, but I think its a little light. Woodford is great, it has a bite that stands up to the ice and orange. I like it less sweet, so I go light on sugar. Orange adds a lot of sweetness to if you squeeze some juice out. I usualy do a twist of peel in there too.
    No worries Gray you've done more than enough for sure! The Woodford bitters sounds really good, hope I can find it outside of their local places and out here in Colorado! Can't wait to try some of these awesome suggestions :)
    If not, let me know. Seriously. I can get em anytime at kroger, not much at all.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Wish I woulda seen this thread before! I would've sent you some bitters. Woodford makes a spiced cherry bitters that I prefer over angostura. Goes great in tons of drinks. The agostura reminds me of baking spices, clove, and like a gingerbread note.

makers works alright, but I think its a little light. Woodford is great, it has a bite that stands up to the ice and orange. I like it less sweet, so I go light on sugar. Orange adds a lot of sweetness to if you squeeze some juice out. I usualy do a twist of peel in there too.
    No worries Gray you've done more than enough for sure! The Woodford bitters sounds really good, hope I can find it outside of their local places and out here in Colorado! Can't wait to try some of these awesome suggestions :)
    If not, let me know. Seriously. I can get em anytime at kroger, not much at all.
    How much are they typically?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:

Angostura is like $10 ish. Woodford is $10 or $14 I dont rememner. Under $20. You can get some fancier ones that run $20ish. I've seen variety three packs at cooking stores for $50 (dont recall the brand).
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:

Angostura is like $10 ish. Woodford is $10 or $14 I dont rememner. Under $20. You can get some fancier ones that run $20ish. I've seen variety three packs at cooking stores for $50 (dont recall the brand).
    Awesome , great info thanks Gray!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    mmccartneydc:
    I recently made a cherry/orange simple syrup. Very easy. I just add that, bitters, bourbon, and ice and I'm good to go! I've also made a rosemary and thyme simple syrup as well. Theyre great with bourbon, but not really an old fashioned!
    Sage is good too! Especially in a rye
    Good call, will have to try that!
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    My recipe is the same as D Fresh except i use rye whiskey instead of bourbon. So Goood!
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Haven't been on here in a couple of days and I missed this. There have been some great suggestions and recipes but I'll still throw my 2 cents in. I personally like Maker's, Weller or Larceny as wheated Bourbons but Woodford will work well, as will Buffalo or Eagle for Rye Mash. Remember, rye makes it dry, wheat makes it sweet.

I'll give you two variations. First, a standard, then my twist.

Start with two rocks glasses - fill one with ice and set aside to chill and the other will be your mixing glass. Add all ingredients first, then add ice and stir.
    Add one sugar cube (sub 1 tsp sugar if you don't have cubes) and 3-4 dashes of Angostura Bitters (Ango are traditional but many other bitters will work here - Whiskey barrel, Cherry, Orange for brightness, Jerry Thomas's Decanter, etc - stay away from Peychaud's - they won't work well for this application).
    I like to add one Maraschino Cherry (Luxardo are true Maraschino - expensive but worth it) and one orange slice - peel removed and set aside.
    Muddle the fruit, sugar and bitters until the sugar dissolves.
    Add 2oz Bourbon, 3-4 medium sized ice cubes and stir (20-30 seconds minimum).
    Dump ice from chilled glass, place cocktail strainer over mixing glass and strain through a second, fine mesh strainer to catch the fruit particles.
    Garnish with your orange twist.

My variation is a Farmer's Old Fashoned:

Next time you cook bacon, cook it in a pan on the stove and set all grease and drippings aside to cool slightly (but still liquid). Pour all liquid into a mason jar or pyrex container and add an equal part Bourbon. Set container in the freezer and allow to sit overnight. In the morning, chip a hole in the frozen layer of fat (save all fat - now Bourbon infused bacon fat - great for cooking) and pour the bacon infused Bourbon through a coffee filter and into a new container or empty bottle. Set this aside to settle and re-filter if any sediment forms.

The only change to the recipe is to use Bacon infused Bourbon (or a 1:1 split of standard and bacon Bourbon) and replace the sugar with a good, quality (Grade B or Grade A Dark) Maple Syrup. Just add an egg and it's breakfast.

Cheers!

-Rob
    Awesome thanks Rob both of those sound terrific and the detail really helped out a ton! I had already hit the liquor store and picked up bitters there and by chance it ended up being Peychauds lol. Why will that one not work in your recipe? Thanks again!
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly the Angostura have more of a clove taste where as the Peychaud is more of an anise taste. I buy the Peychauds as they are cheaper than the Angostura and they work well for my taste. I don't really care for bitters. For me the Peychauds are more palatable. To each their own, though I do realize some mixes only work with one vs the other
    ehehat:
    My recipe is the same as D Fresh except i use rye whiskey instead of bourbon. So Goood!
    Will have to try it with both bro!! Thanks for the suggestion :)
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    If I remember correctly the Angostura have more of a clove taste where as the Peychaud is more of an anise taste. I buy the Peychauds as they are cheaper than the Angostura and they work well for my taste. I don't really care for bitters. For me the Peychauds are more palatable. To each their own, though I do realize some mixes only work with one vs the other

Not a big Bitters guy either. I have some Angostura regular and orange, and use them more because the recipe calls for them. I like the Orange, but does not lend much to Bourbon. Don't want to threadjack here, but if you get into a Manhattan I have found a big difference in type of Vermouth.
    rsherman24:
    The Kid:

Not a big Bitters guy either. I have some Angostura regular and orange, and use them more because the recipe calls for them. I like the Orange, but does not lend much to Bourbon. Don't want to threadjack here, but if you get into a Manhattan I have found a big difference in type of Vermouth.
    Thanks Sherm and not at all I actually ended up picking up some sugar cubes and Angostura bitters tonight. Can't make one tonight due to mixing with painkillers but tomorrow night I plan on making my first one.
    Had my first Old Fashioned, really good thanks gentleman!

Yummy, my wife and I had a Woodford Old Fashioned Bar at our wedding reception. I can't remember much more than that!!!!
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Yummy, my wife and I had a Woodford Old Fashioned Bar at our wedding reception. I can't remember much more than that!!!!
    What a great idea! Must have been a good time!
    mmccartneydc:
    That's awesome Matt!
    D Fresh:
    mmccartneydc:
    What a great idea! Must have been a good time!
    Oh it definitely was. There is actually a picture on here somewhere bc that is when I first started smoking cigars and we had a cigar bar too. I'll look for it or some of you necro-maniacs might be able to find it
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Peychaud's Bitters, as already stated, carry more of an anise note that just doesn't incorporate as well in most Bourbon or Rye drinks (not always - depends on other ingredients involved) but certainly not well in Manhattans or Old Fashioned cocktails. If you have some cognac around, make yourself a Sazerac with the Peychaud's Bitters (Cognac was the original pour - you may need Absinthe or Pastis if you don't have any). Let me know if you need the recipe for that one.

Angostura Bitters (as stated) bring a Clove note. Also, Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters would work as they have a very heavy Cinnamon note to them. Bitters are meant to bring balance, complexity and roundness to a drink. Originally developed as herbal tonics, these have become a standard in most craft cocktails. Cherry or Rhubarb bitters may work as well but Ango would be traditional and classic.

Cheers.