Home General Discussion

I need a new bourbon...... Any recommendations?

Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a big fan of Blanton's, Angels envy, bulleit, knob creek, basil Hayden's, and eagle rare. What am I missing out on?
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Comments

• pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

Bookers and a Japanese Whiskey we found 2 weeks ago named - Hibiki.  It comes aged in 12yr, 17yr, 21yr and 30yr. 

We had the 12yr and it was quite nice....

also Woodford Reserve

Hibiki Paired well with Liga Privada #9
    Hibiki Paired well with Liga Privada #9
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    There's a killer thread in the NCR section for all thing's bourbon & whiskey related.
    http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/859399/the-bourbon-and-whiskey-thread#latest

If you're a big bourbon drinker I'd recommend reading through it when you get the chance, some great info there. 

Personally I always keep a bottle of Woodford on hand, that's my go-to. 
    Jim Beam (or Kirkland brand) are my picks for "cheapies".
    And will pick up Rowan's Creek if I'm ever out of state and can get it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Bookers went well with Oliva Serie V Melanio
    Bookers went well with Oliva Serie V Melanio
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four Roses and I would second the Woodford recommendation as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    penn said:

Bookers and a Japanese Whiskey we found 2 weeks ago named - Hibiki.  It comes aged in 12yr, 17yr, 21yr and 30yr. 

Bookers was on my to drink list. I will try Hibiki if I can find it. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Just been getting into Bourbon so haven't ad any of those listed yet. A couple favorites I've had so far are the Four Roses Single Barrel and EH Taylor Small Batch. A very good less expensive one I really like a lot is the 1792. 
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

Usaf06 said:
    penn said:

Bookers was on my to drink list. I will try Hibiki if I can find it. 

The Hibiki was surprisingly good and I am a traditional Kentucky Bourbon guy that is all the sudden feeling like I need to go to confession...
    jimmyv723 said:
    Just been getting into Bourbon so haven't ad any of those listed yet. A couple favorites I've had so far are the Four Roses Single Barrel and EH Taylor Small Batch. A very good less expensive one I really like a lot is the 1792. 
    Every time I grab a bottle of four roses I end up putting it back for something else. I'm just gonna have to get it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Usaf06 said:
    jimmyv723 said:
    Every time I grab a bottle of four roses I end up putting it back for something else. I'm just gonna have to get it.

A family member was telling me about EH Taylor 2 weekends ago.  Is it like 140 proof or something?  I will have to add it to my list as well
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elijah Craig 12 year is a solid one as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Elijah Craig 12 year is a solid one as well.
    That is one I can find easy. My local store has it so I will give it a try. TY 
    -- Winston Churchill

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    penn said:
    Usaf06 said:
    jimmyv723 said:

A family member was telling me about EH Taylor 2 weekends ago.  Is it like 140 proof or something?  I will have to add it to my list as well

There are multiple varieties. Small Batch, Single Barrel, Barrel Proof and Warehouse C or something like that where the barrels survived through a Tornado. Have only had the Small Batch which is Bottled in Bond and 100 Proof. A good Barrel Proof to try s the Stagg Jr. especially with the regular Stagg being so hard to find.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

jimmyv723 said:
    penn said:
    Usaf06 said:
    jimmyv723 said:

There are multiple varieties. Small Batch, Single Barrel, Barrel Proof and Warehouse C or something like that where the barrels survived through a Tornado. Have only had the Small Batch which is Bottled in Bond and 100 Proof. A good Barrel Proof to try s the Stagg Jr. especially with the regular Stagg being so hard to find.

Appreciate it...I will try it and get back to you! 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knob Creek
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason the site deleted the K N O B from Creek.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a bourbon but redbreast is really good!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I'm sipping some Rowan's Creek atm, but I've also enjoyed Four Roses, K N O B Creek, Bulleit and Woodford Reserve. 1792 isn't bad for the price.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    For some reason the site deleted the K N O B from Creek.
    Everyone knows k n o b is a dirty word....  :/  
    my favorites are four roses small batch, single barrel barrel-strength, Woodford reserve, eagle rare 10... looking to try wild turkey rare breed.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look into balvenie doublewood 12 too, if you haven't tried a Scotch.  Drinks like a bourbon, no smoke.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    The Balvenie is great stuff! Got some in last year's Gang Wars and it didn't last long!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
    Will give the balvenie a try too, thanks for the info fellas.
    -- Winston Churchill

• benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Don't look at the cheesy label and buy a bottle of Very Old Barton 100 proof.  Excellent flavor and you will think it is  a $50 bottle!
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Buffalo Trace is tasty economic option.
    y2pascoe said:
    Buffalo Trace is tasty economic option.

I concur - Buffalo trace is a great everyday bourbon!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Weller.   No question.  Buffalo Trace Distillery and $19.95 a botte.  Best kept secret. hard to find lately.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    For me, Buffalo Trace Bourbon has suffered with the huge spike in demand.  Just does not taste the same.