Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Who Brews on the Forum?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Christmas Day I'm doing a Russian Imperial Stout that will be barrel aged until next Christmas. It's a fun way to spend a few hours with the family as we make next years Holiday beer.
    Maybe you could show up at the herf next year and we could help with emptying that keg. Sounds like a great brew! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Christmas Day I'm doing a Russian Imperial Stout that will be barrel aged until next Christmas. It's a fun way to spend a few hours with the family as we make next years Holiday beer.
    Man that sounds awesome, enjoy and have fun with it!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rolanddeschain I think a barrel aged stout would go over very well at the Milwaukee herf...just saying.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That could be done. Barrel aged stout and a double IPA on tap!
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried all-grain yet, but I'm itching to make a stout, so I think I'll have to give it a try.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Brew in a Bag is an easy way to get into all-grain if you have a large enough brew pot.

Roland
  • Options
    We bought a 15 gallon, so that should be fine. We did our partial via bag, so I assume it's a very similar process?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Yes and no. I bought my mashing bag from Amazon, sized to fit my brew kettle. You get your water to temp, mash in the milled grain and let it sit for an hour or so depending on the recipe. Ive GROSSLY over simplified it but thats the basic idea. Extract brewing is definitely easier but I love the flexibility it gives me.

Roland
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made beer for a couple of years, many years ago.  Raisin wine, too.  I keep telling myself I'm going to get back into it, but our house is smallish, even just for two of us,

and 6 cats,

and 3 dogs. 

Thank God I finished the chicken coop!

My sister got me a Mr. Beer kit a couple years back, but that looks like it would make just enough to piss me off, considering the time involved per return.  It was a lot of fun, back when, and made some great beers, too.  Had one infected batch, came out much as described by @ExpendableYouth above, horrible, threw it out.  I may need to figure out a spot in the house.  There's room for brewing, but where to stash the beer?

hmmm...

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    We bought a 15 gallon, so that should be fine. We did our partial via bag, so I assume it's a very similar process?
    A cooler and some PVC pipe for a filter/strainer works well.  Look into batch sparging.  Dump your grains and water into the cooler and close the lid for an hour.  Drain into your pot and boil as normal.  Takes a couple batches to get your temp and volume numbers down, but once you do it makes it very easy
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the cigars out first!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    I thought that is how you get infused cigars.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    I've had enough stouts that TASTED like an ashtray, but..........

Roland
  • Options
    I'm going to be brewing in the next few days. I should vherf while doing it to kill two birds:)

Roland
  • Options
    I would be intrigued to watch your process.  I want to get into brewing but there is so much info and so many different things to know, it is overwhelming to jump in.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    It's so much fun try to even at the extract level though. And even a basic recipe provided by your home brew store has a tendency to taste better than most store bought.

• Options
    I would be intrigued to watch your process.  I want to get into brewing but there is so much info and so many different things to know, it is overwhelming to jump in.
    Extract kits are a great way to start. YouTube has a ton of videos on brewing. It's really not as daunting as it may sound.

Roland
  • Options
    Simple setup for brewing tonight.
    Mango IPA 

Roland
  • Options
    Get on the vherf and walk us through it.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    My iPad died so I couldn't play online. I'll try and do that in the near future. Here's 5 gallons of wort headed into the fermenter.

Roland