Home Cigar 101

Ageing/Resting

2»

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo said:
    Hello @transplant Have you made any progress? 

Yeah, I think so. Thanks for asking.

I have 3 kinds of cigars: golf (big rings), dog-walking (relatively inexpensive robustos or toros) and "sippin'" smokes (generally fuller bodied and more expensive smokes).

I keep a log of when sticks went in the humi. Other than the dog-walkers, all the cigars spend a minimum of 3 weeks at rest. I now have a decent number of "sippin" smokes that have had their feet up for nearly 3 months.

I have far fewer burn issues and it seems that some of the early harshness has gone.

As for the "CAS," I have this under control...kinda. While I have slowed the pace of my purchases, I've also increased the number of sticks I smoke. Between the two I'm doing OK.:)

Kipling was a wise man.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome to hear my Yankee Illinois dog walking golfer friend... seems like you have grabbed the bull by the horns. Get some tatuaje petite Nicaragua for the dog walks. They average about 3 bucks taste amazing and are small enough to hold in your teeth. I know I originally told you about nubs. But you won't regret a 50 box of these @transplant
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a pretty cool app that I use on my phone for logging the important things in my cooler/humi.  Its called MyHumidor.  You can log in when a cigar was rolled, when it was put into your collection, how many you have as well as the price you paid for them.  You can also snap a photo to upload for a reminder on what things are.  I use this now to just track my box or 10+ of a stick purchase as I'm not too worried about singles and tracking them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started rolling cigars a little while ago and am now delving into the mysteries of blending. Wow have I got a lot to learn. I usually roll four of a blend and smoke one right off the board.One rests for two weeks and the other two are laid to rest in my humidor. There is a great difference between the one off the board and the one that rests for two weeks. Usually a good difference. I like a little ligero but I've learned there is a great difference in ligero from different areas, same with seco and viso and binders and wrappers. Keeping a journal and banding all my cigars is a pain but i think it will pay off. I've got one blend that i really like and I'm going to roll ten and put them up .Maybe around Christmas I'll fire one up.    
    I saw an ad once about a site where you could order your own tobaccos. Filler, binders and wrappers. Don't remember the site though. Is this what you do?