Home General Discussion
Options

Why Facebook is Killing Cigar Culture

Comments

• Options
    OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    jarubla said:

Ccom is without a doubt fantastic. C2 is a far second, but absolutely has let me meet some stand up people, as well as lined up some HTF (to me) sticks at fair deals. With C2 (and FB in general), I just try and remember that FOMO is BS, and that I am in no way in competition with anyone. I get to walk my own path. 

C2? Does everybody besides me know what C2 is? 
    There's a lot of acronyms in your post. 
    Ccom I know
    C2 I googled it but,......
    HTF I know
    FB I know
    FOMO had to look it up. I knew it at one point but, didn't retain it.
    BS I'm full of it. 
    I had never heard of the phrase FOMO until last week...heard it 3 times since.

I am getting old
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C2 is a FB group I suspect Ryan is talking about. 

I understand there are others out there, but C2 is the most 'civilized' of them. I can shoot you a PM and a bag of peanuts/Cracker Jack if you're interested in the circus. Lemme know?

FOMO is a relatively new term I heard a year or so ago --fear of missing out. Sorta like Keeping up with the Joneses -- but on social media and apparently a big effing deal to some people. 

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.  

I should have been more specific. I was trying to ask what C2 stood for as an acronym. 

I went back to the OP (<------ another acronym!) and finally noticed it in the screen shots. Cigar Cartel. 

• Options
    Bob like I said if you want an invite to C2, lol I can send it. Pop some popcorn before you log in
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    ExpendableYouth said:
    Back in my day we had one cigar related publication, and we liked it.
    Young man! Shouldn't you be studying?

jarubla said:
    Bob like I said if you want an invite to C2, lol I can send it. Pop some popcorn before you log in
    Thanks but, no no no no no no no no. I might like it. 

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C2= Cigar Cartel
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was taking a break from CivPro when I wrote that.
  • Options
    Dammit! is that another acronym? 
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I see it as posers vs. bolts or spandex it's a privilege not a right!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    I think i am going to join this place just to see what it is like........
  • Options
    For a every couple of douches there is a good botl. There is also a couple shop owners that give great deals.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Usaf06 said:
    For a every couple of douches there is a good botl. There is also a couple shop owners that give great deals.
    This, 100%. There really are a bunch of standup people there. 

Ruminating on this thread begs the question; how do we as persons interested in perpetuating the cigar culture push back on the buffoonery? 

Only thing I can think of is to teach what we think the culture represents; be a stand up guy, keep your word, and teach the future cigar smokers da rules.

The challenge is correcting someone--if they are on the Internet, they are probably going to think you are just being a d!ck, versus trying to correct them. 

What say you @youngryan216 ?

-Jay
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Young will eventually bcome old. Nuf said.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Civil procedures
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    @jarubla I think advancing cigar culture is as simple as conducting yourself like a civilized human being. 
    To me, cigar culture is the harmony of socialization and consumption of a handmade product, as well as the perpetuation of that product's longevity.
    All the peripherals (boobs, guns, etc) only bring immaturity to the situation.
    Unfortunately,  I don't think anything we do will influence the facebook groups and #GurkhaNation.
    Just light one up and watch the circus.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

Why Facebook is killing cigar culture: Boobs, mold, and $20 Ligas.

The Internet has changed the dynamics of quite a few industries over the last few years. None was transformed more interestingly than the cigar industry. Once a face-to-face exchange at local tobacco stores, cigar buying has forced savvy consumers onto bidding websites and other online conglomerates in search of the best prices.

One by-product of this online shift is the burgeoning presence of cigar-related social media. Many cigar websites have their own forums for users to share content and Instagram has a decent clique of cigar lovers that share cigar pics and often, short reviews of recently smoked stogies.

None of these media outlets is more detrimental to cigar culture than Facebook groups. The largest groups are nothing more than bragging boards for mid-life-crisising 40 somethings, or con men coyly begging for handouts from established members.

The typical day of posts for one of these groups includes: gratuitous boob and ass pictures that objectify the women pictured and occasionally feature a cigar in the frame somewhere, endless arguments about if a Cuban cigar is real or fake (generally, if you have to ask, it’s fake), and endless arguments about mold versus plume (generally, if you have to ask, it’s mold).

In one case, a male member added an attractive female smoker to one of these groups and within weeks she left the group from the sheer amount of harassment and **** pics in her inbox.

I am absolutely sick of this behavior and disrespect for this pastime many hold in great reverence. Cigar smoking has gone from something cerebral to participate in socially, to something you post pictures of and brag about on social media. This “brag culture,” even more than the T&A pictures, is a cancer on the heart of cigar culture. It shows newbies that cigar smoking is all about chasing rare smokes and overspending on Liga Privada. It shows non-smokers that smokers are materialistic / chauvinistic loudmouths that love guns and boobs more than we love being thoughtful and classy. I’ve even seen people posting pictures of themselves smoking the band. What is going on in our culture? Do we need so much attention on the label of what we are smoking that we need to smoke it and post a picture on social media?

The hobby has been minimized to something very much based on the amount of money spent by the smoker and not the evolution of the palate or the passing on of knowledge and traditions to future generations of smokers.

It’s hard to picture Winston Churchill posting his stash on Facebook. It just seems like things have shifted in our hobby and the douchebags have taken over. Maybe I’m getting a little too get-off-my-lawn here, but posting your whole collection on social media is like the cigar version of a **** pic.

Smokers that do truly “get it,” understand the culture of giving and inclusion that is sadly missing in this group of social mutants, braggadocios and beggars. I am really hoping things change, but right now I’m removing myself from these groups and would advise anyone who cares about the longevity of our culture to do the same.

-Ryan Young

I have to agree with you on a lot of this, I'm a few groups, even have my own group, but that's mainly for selling we don't have the volume the other groups have so we keep it simple,

the one in question C2 sorry to say that's not a civilized by any means. the moment you go against the flow on there your out, but not before you get keyboard killed by a lot of those guys.

I don't use those groups to make friends, I use it to buy and sell cigars only, I did make a few new cigar smokers buds that actually know about cigars,

I made more BOTL friends on here, then I did at facebook or a local lounge, and that's because 99% of my local friends don't smoke cigars, they frown upon it, so they don't visit as often as they used to, but I am good with that, more cigars for me,lol.

and you are correct there are a lot of moochers out there, even on here this place gets them once in a while, I don't think any place is immune to that.

facebook,is it killing the cigar culture? depends on your view of it, I don't smoke online I smoke at home in my personal lounge, i don't have a lot of friends anymore since a lot of us grown apart, the few I do have, they don't smoke cigars, so for the most part I enjoy my cigars alone, but I have everything I need in one place, now I know not everyone has that option, but if you have a local B&M lounge there's a place to start.

facebook cigar groups are more for your cigar scouting needs, that new hard to get release, I cant see it for anything else, you may find someone in your area that smokes,

I have yet to see a group that is actually out there for the cigar smoker's, what I mean a group that will have anything cigar related news, new cigar info, lighter info, local lounge listings, people in that area that smoke, etc. and just some good old cigar talk you know, "what you think of the new cigar? it was blah!, really I liked it!" and move on, no one gets upset or mad. and 15-20 other people jump in and  converse the same way. no talk of guns, religion, or anything that really is not cigar related, remember your there for cigars not for everything else, they have groups for that other stuff.

eeehh just my opinion, dont let these groups get to you smoke on

I find it funny you posted a pic of C2's greatest ass-hole!

• Options
    I am so disappointed that I did not see the post. Did you screen shot it
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    Eulogy said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    Civil procedures
    Motion to object. 
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    I am so disappointed that I did not see the post. Did you screen shot it
    Didn't even have time. Their admins are like the thought police.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I was on C2 for a bit and left because I got tired of seeing the ass-hattery that was prevelant in there. Couldn't stand it any longer. 

I have been on CATS for a little while and it seems the least idiotic of any that I have seen Although it is really
    nit a very large sample group. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your piece, Ryan. I have only ever checked out ccom, cfed, and a pipe forum (pipesmagazine), which seem to attract a different kind of smoker than what I've seen from your post.  Of course there are good guys and ass-holes in every group.

Social media like that just makes it so easy for the "marginal" smoker to get involved.  The guys who maybe don't care about the hobby as much as letting everyone else know how much they "care" about the hobby.  Conspicuous consumption. Nothing is more indicative of that than a pic of a damn receipt. 

You have to laugh, and hope that observers realize that the cigar culture isn't the problem. If it wasn't cigars they were showing off, it be cars, booze, houses, stamps, whatever.  I'm surprised you got booted so quickly. It wasn't an offensive post.  That shows you what kind of group it really is 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem is I get to wrapped up in all the political crap. I've been thinking of just deleting it myself because I'm to opinionated and have a tough time keeping my opinions to myself. But social media does have its good points. I never would have been able to raise money for medical bills without it. 
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    So late to the party on this matter, but just discovered the article. Great sentiment from a stogie lover. Nuff said.
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I peaced out of fb a long time ago...too much crap I don't need from everything to everything! But I do have to give it to the guy with the butt shot in the pic and the cool sunglasses...dude your smoking a **** quorum!!!!
    Money can't buy taste