Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda Seasoning Complete ... I think?

Comments

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not I sir. I just have a winedor and a 150 and a couple Tupperware containers. All of which have not seen fresh air for some time. Sucks not having time to smoke these days. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I spent all this money on a humidor that has a bad door seal .... and now I have to buy a new one - which I don't have the money for - or use some kind of sealant? I don't even understand what that means. 

The electronic humidifier is something I'd put INSIDE the humidor? It looks huge, I don't understand where that would fit ... 

I feel like I just wasted a lot of money trying to be fancy when I should have just stuck with my XIKAR portable that holds 50 and humidifies perfectly. I'm starting to feel really foolish about all of this. 
    Nothing to feel foolish about. Many of us have been there in some way or another. I'm thinking about grabbing a couple more coolers to drop my humidors in during the ridiculously dry South Dakota winter. A humidor looks nice and all, but coolers are really ideal for cost, size, and seal.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I got some advice a long time ago about using painters tape on the seal on my desktop humi. Not sure if this would help you but maybe you could put it around the inside of the door so it wouldn't be seen from the outside.
  • Options
    TheWebRecluseTheWebRecluse Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Checked this morning. 70 degrees f in there but 58% humidity. It hasn't gone back up since I opened it the other day to take the pictures. Something is definitely wrong. 

When I first seasoned it it was holding 68% for like a week before I put the cigars in there. Now it won't hold at all ...  

• Options
    Checked this morning. 70 degrees f in there but 58% humidity. It hasn't gone back up since I opened it the other day to take the pictures. Something is definitely wrong. 

When I first seasoned it it was holding 68% for like a week before I put the cigars in there. Now it won't hold at all ...  

What about a room humidifier? Relative humidity is about 0% (probably not, but it's very low) in the winter here. I will be using one quite a bit starting in November or December. I can watch my hygrometer drop several points in the time it takes to pick out my next smoke.
  • Options
    Ok ... so I put distilled water in a glass and placed it on the top level of my humidor yesterday afternoon (third picture) and I left my cat to guard my cigars LOL :)

Anyway ...  this morning the temp is 77 degrees (its hot and muggy and rainy outside today) and humidity is 69% which is higher than it's EVER been. I don't know if its because the weather is totally gross and muggy right now and that's raised the temp in the room (It's like 70 degrees outside today but the other day it was in the 40s ...... the entire apartment feels like a sauna right now.) or if it's because of the glass of distilled water.

I also took the advice of spreading the boveda packs on each level. 
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you had some water spill. Make sure the cigars below didn't get wet. If they did wipe them. The cup doesn't need to be full. Half full would have been ok. Also, put the hygrometer on opposite side of boveda to see if it's circulating 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah if you spilled a little like @Usaf06 said Make sure you get any water off the cigars other than that leave that thing closed for a week or so and see what happens.

My one thought is with it being so humid outside today that your humidity spikes up leads me to believe that those doors are not keeping humidity in/out of that thing but lets see what happens over the next couple of days.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Do you keep the doors locked? I found the seal around the doors on the one I had was better when I locked the doors.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great advice here, just figured I would throw my opinion in as well.  I have something similar to that, I use two 69% boveda packs on the top shelf and an electric humidifier on the bottom.  I have heard of people putting the humidifier on the top shelf, but I found for my unit it functions better on the bottom.  I think your problem is that you don't have enough humidity in there and it's not circulating.  Remember you can't over do boveda packs, I would add more and as mentioned place on every shelf.  Xikar makes a great humidifier that can stick to the inside top, might want to look into getting one or two of the 100 count ones.  Good luck.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I tend to agree with Patrick here, Just doing very rough calculations it looks like you have about 4 cubic ft. of space here. a somewhat typical '100' count humi is about 1/2 of a cubic ft. and takes about 4-5 of the Boveda packs to maintain the rated rh for about 2-3 months,   
  • Options
    As usual, you guys are great and so insanely helpful. Weather is much cooler today (50 degrees outside) and it's about 67% humidity and 72 degrees temp. I cleaned up the water that spilled very quickly :) 

I'll lock the doors, as recommended and leave them closed all next week and see what happens.

Thanks everyone so very very much!
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any updates?

How are things looking?
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Well in just a few days things seem to have stabilized ... 

1. I have been keeping the doors LOCKED (as someone suggested)

2. I have left the glass of distilled water in the bottom

3. I took out most of the Boveda packs (only have 72 on top, 72 middle, 75 bottom right)

4. Humidity hasn't fallen below 65% ... but has been as high as 75%

I think I've got it!
  • Options
    75 is a little too high. Want to stay between 65-70
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    75% is when the temp outside is high. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since it has been awhile now, how are things looking?  Has it stabilized at all?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    UseAsDirectedUseAsDirected Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd like to know too. I was thinking adding a rubber seal where the two doors meet could help but seems like from the last post things are looking good locking it.
    "Even a fool has a talent"
    -That one guy
  • Options
    I've had to really consider giving up on the humidor.
    I think I'm going to go back to the travel case I was using.
    My cigars are dry as hell and the humidity just sits at 52 or so ...
    I think I bought an expensive humidor and it ended up being a complete waste of money. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at the hinges I would doubt the seal. adding a seal around it would probably ge a good idea.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize this may have been mentioned in the thread, but winter is a rough time for humidity. My humis are reading low right now too. 

When did you last check your Boveda packs? Any chance it is time to rotate in fresh/new ones? 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Try putting a shot glass of distilled water in the humi
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, as I stated before you do not have enough humidity in there!  Add more, if that we're mine I would have 10 or so large boveda packs in there plus one or two 200 count xikar humidifier on the top.  You can't have too many.  Or get an electric humidifier.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Yes, you can't have too many Boveda packs in there, but my concern is the amount of cigars. A humidor is most stable when it is nearly full. This is a very nice looking way to display your cigars but not very practical, in my opinion. I'd use a tupperware container for now just so your cigars don't get so dried out. 
  • Options
    I put the Boveda seasoning packs back in and the humidity hit 70% ... I waited a few days and it kept going up so I took 3 out of 6 of the Boveda packs out. I have this humidor ((http://www.cigar.com/humidors/38366/countertop-display-humidor/#p-89373) which based on it's size and Boveda's instructions requires 6 packs. 

I decided to put some cigars in and leave it for a bit. It's 69% now.
  • Options
    I put the Boveda seasoning packs back in and the humidity hit 70% ... I waited a few days and it kept going up so I took 3 out of 6 of the Boveda packs out. I have this humidor ((http://www.cigar.com/humidors/38366/countertop-display-humidor/#p-89373) which based on it's size and Boveda's instructions requires 6 packs. 

I decided to put some cigars in and leave it for a bit. It's 69% now.
  • Options
    Final update let's hope ...

The humidor has been only holding around 40% humidity but I decided not to give up on it. I decided to purchase a HUMI-CARE Black Ice Pie Jar 8-oz recently along with a ton more cigars to put in my travel case since it holds 80 and I know it has a great seal.

I put some of the cigars in my wooden humidor, I filled the black ice with distilled water and put them in the four corners. Humidity was 45% when I did this. I went in just now to check to see if anything had happened (about 6 hours later) and all of the black ice balls had exploded out of the container LOL - clearly I used too much water - but the humidity was 61% ... which is the highest I've ever seen it since I'd tried the Boveda packs.

I want to see how it holds for a few days.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final update let's hope ...

The humidor has been only holding around 40% humidity but I decided not to give up on it. I decided to purchase a HUMI-CARE Black Ice Pie Jar 8-oz recently along with a ton more cigars to put in my travel case since it holds 80 and I know it has a great seal.

I put some of the cigars in my wooden humidor, I filled the black ice with distilled water and put them in the four corners. Humidity was 45% when I did this. I went in just now to check to see if anything had happened (about 6 hours later) and all of the black ice balls had exploded out of the container LOL - clearly I used too much water - but the humidity was 61% ... which is the highest I've ever seen it since I'd tried the Boveda packs.

I want to see how it holds for a few days.
    I have exploded some gel containers myself. It's surprising how much pressure they can create if given enough water. LOL

40% is pretty low. Winter is hard on humidors. Your humi really looks nice BTW. One thing you might want to try is a room humidifier so the RH in the room where you keep your humidor wouldn't be low enough to dry out your humidor. 
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say add more cigars once it stabilizes. Crack those Tubos also. Once things settle recap them. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    My friend mentioned a room humidifier as well. I think I have cold air one and a warm air one. I assume the cold air one would be best?

Also I didn't know I had to worry about the cigars in tubes? I thought I should just leave them as is? Should I open them?