Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda Seasoning Complete ... I think?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheWebRecluseTheWebRecluse Posts: 33 ✭✭
    The humidor was 71 degrees and 54% humidity this morning ....
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracking tubes I assume is a personal choice by many. I always do for 30 days and then recap them. Some say yes others say no. It works for me though, my tubos always smoke great.

My humidor is spot on as well 65/68. Your's needs to stabilize or you have a leak somewhere. I still say more Gars are needed u have a lot of open space. Boxes would help also. 

Just my 2 cents.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went back and looked at your pics again. Is there even a seal around the doors? It looks like wood on wood. If so you need to seal it with some weather stripping or something. There is no way you can have a tight seal if it is wood on wood doors.

A desktop humi will give u a swooshing sound when closed if it is tight. Your setup has a way better chance of leaking with the glass, doors and hinges etc. So a leak is likely without a tight seal between the cab and the doors. Not knocking your setup but these types of humidors are not the most skill crafted when assembled. They are more prone to leaking. But it is fixable and once it is fixed it will work just like any other humidor. You gotta tweak it. But your humi needs to be working properly first and foremost before you put your smoking treasures in it.

I would move all your gars to tupperware as someone stated earlier until u get your humi fixed and working right. If not you could damage them in the process. Seal it and re-season it, according to the many steps provided in other threads.

GL
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow this USA old thread but I see great advice and well reluctance to listen! Your humidor is very very empty! It should IMO be at minimal 75% full and this thing is maybe 25% so yeah it's gonna be hell getting humidity up! Fill it and stop putting cigars in other places fill it up! Stop being a something and listen!!!!!!!! People have tried to help you but you don't seem to understand. So here it goes duh less air can help with better rh,uuuhhhhhhh add more boveda packs,guuuuhhhhh 70/75rh is asking for mold. Sorry if I come off as a ahole but you don't seem to get it after this long. 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all your advice but I think I don't want anymore kinds of comments like this. I will just get rid of this humidor and stick with the ones I have that I know work. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't take it too hard, I've actually grown to appreciate Lee's rudeness. Let's consider it tough love. Tough, rude, love. LOL 

Moving on,.........

It's probably best that you get rid of it. The truth is, when you get one of these glass display humidors,(even brand new ones) you're usually buying a fixer-upper whether you know it or not. It's a gamble. And, it's not a fair deal for the consumer.  I hate the way these small foreign made glass display humidors are prone to seal leaks. And, if you don't want to bother with tinkering with them, it's best to move on.There ought to be a lemon law for humidors. Good luck getting rid of it and, good luck with your desktops. A lot of the same advice applies to those too. The climate in the room in which they are kept will have an affect on them. 
  • Options
    Tough love is fine. Rude love is abusive. Plain and simple. I've been on the end of it enough to know what it looks like live or in text. It's not appreciated. 

The humidor has been sealed with this weather sealing tape that I got from Home Depot. This is the last thing I'm going to do to this thing. I have tried everyones suggestions despite what mr abusive thinks and there is no more room for cigars in the humidor at this point. This thing is more a display case than a humidor - the fact that it doesn't have a proper seal tells me that. Cigar.com should state this on the sales page or not call it a humidor at all frankly ... it was a waste of money and I've spent more than I intended trying to fix it. My Xikar travel case works perfectly, has a great seal (that pops when you open it up) and will hold about 80 cigars. I bought the case because I wanted to be able to buy more stock but I'll just stick with 80 that I know I can keep properly humidified.

Humidity has been creeping slowly up to 59 from 45 since the gaps were sealed yesterday afternoon. Black ice humidification jar is what is in there now. If the humidity doesn't hold even after sealing then I will abandon the case. 

Thanks everyone in this thread for your advice and suggestions.
    It's been much appreciated and I learned a great deal for going forward.
  • Options
    SevenhillliSevenhillli Posts: 21
    edited March 2016
    Hi everbody ,

i started seasoning before  one week 4 days with 3 pack 84rh boveda . Now , hygrometer shows 73 rh . 

is everything is ok ? 

Note : wood humidor feature is 50 cigars total . 
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    You probably want to get some 65-70% packs, then should be good to fill er up.