Home General Discussion
Options

Best Cigars at $20 price point?

Not being of limitless resources, $20 a stick is a bit much to part with considering I could easily enjoy 3 to 4 sticks at that price.   I'm trying to broaden my horizons and expand a little bit and not completely ignore cigars $20+.   Right now its a "I don't know what I'm missing," kinda of thing.   

I know none of these sticks could ever be an everyday cigar for me, but I'm interested in all of your opinions as to which ones I should consider.   

I enjoy variety, and I'm currently interested in the following:   

God of Fire Series B (Robusto SG) by Arturo Fuente

Davidoff Maduro
 (Robusto)

Ashton ESG
 - 21 Yr Salute (Robusto)

Aside from Opus X, I haven't really tried any other sticks in the $20 range.  So I'm not sure if the smoking experiences of the above are even justified given their price.  That's where you come in.  

What are the best cigars you've had in the $20 price range?

Which, if any, are worth the price? 

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome! Are you the cigarjedi of YouTube fame by chance?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Padron Anniversary
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may enjoy the ESG, but my opinion is that the VSG is a better smoke for $9 less.

Ave Maria Reconquista should be on your list.

I had my first AF Anejo last night, and would recommend that too.

I second the Padron Anniversarys.  The 1926 40th is very good.

That said, there is wisdom in disregarding the price of a cigar.  Expecting a $20 stick to perform like it's better by two or three times than dozens of $6 to $12 cigars is a wrong way to look at it and will often lead to disappointment.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally am a huge fan of the $10 price point sticks. I tend to keep myself on budget with those they taste great burn great and work out great... and if they don't behave, I don't buy them again.

"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff Nicaragua is fantastic
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Usaf06 said:

Agreed!

Tried the Escurio yesterday, I was underwhelmed... I would go Nicaraguan all day...

• Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My perspective is this: price is often not the best proxy for quality so (and no offense intended at all) to establish an arbitrary threshold for quality (i.e. $20/cigars) seems a little silly.

I bet if you asked the question a little differently, "What under $10 cigars will knock my socks off?" and worked your way through the resulting list you'd forget all about the "$20 cigar."

Does this mean that the conversation is irrelevant? Of course not, but such a conversation necessitates another conversation about the nature of quality versus rarity and even , "what makes a cigar quality?"

My sense is that the rarity factor contributes more to the price than any kind of "quality" factor. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    although, the La Palina Pasha is fantastic at $20. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Usaf06 said:

Agreed!

Tried the Escurio yesterday, I was underwhelmed... I would go Nicaraguan all day...

@Woodguarden ;  feel free to send your extra Escurio's my way ;)

lol j/k.  which vitola did you have?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv said:
    Usaf06 said:

Agreed!

@Edna20 feel free to send your extra Escurio's my way ;)

that wasnt Kelly, that was woodguarden
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Usaf06 said:
    jgibv said:
    Usaf06 said:

Agreed!

@Edna20 feel free to send your extra Escurio's my way ;)

that wasnt Kelly, that was woodguarden
    lol wtf, wow.
    too many tabs open simultaneously, trying to read too many threads at the same time lol

or i need my eyes checked; @Woodguarden 's and @Edna20 's thumbnail pictures are similar but damn not that similar.

is it 500 yet?

• Options

@jgibv 

Robusto, I thought it was boring and one dimensional. It wasn't horrible but at that price point I expect more complexity.

• Options
    CigarJediCigarJedi Posts: 8
    jarubla said:

-Jay
    Jay,  Hello and thanks for the welcome.    The name for me actually came about because when submitting a user name, I was a bit stumped .. So I looked at my desk for an idea and I had an image of Yoda smoking a Padron 1926.  So that's where the Cigar Jedi name came from.     After reading your post, I took a quick peek at youtube and saw the Cigar Jedi you were referring to.   Rats.  Here I was thinking I was being clever yet the name is already well established on youtube.  

I wish I knew about that before I created this name here because I don't want to confuse anyone.  I'm glad you did mentioned the channel though as I'm always looking for Cigar Info, and it didn't even occur to me to check Youtube at all.  You just opened up a whole new way of exploring cigars for me.  Thanks, Jay!

• Options
    peter4jc said:
    You may enjoy the ESG, but my opinion is that the VSG is a better smoke for $9 less.

Ave Maria Reconquista should be on your list.

I had my first AF Anejo last night, and would recommend that too.

I second the Padron Anniversarys.  The 1926 40th is very good.

That said, there is wisdom in disregarding the price of a cigar.  Expecting a $20 stick to perform like it's better by two or three times than dozens of $6 to $12 cigars is a wrong way to look at it and will often lead to disappointment.
    Thank you Peter.  I will add Ave Maria Reconquista to my list.  

I certainly understand the wisdom for disregarding price as the end all be all.   I have a lot of experience with sticks in the $4 to $12 range, so it is my lack of experience with sticks in the $20 that has me pondering what I'm missing.  

Unlike many of my peers, I don't gravitate to any one wrapper, country or brand.   Like the seasons my mood changes and I can appreciate the flavors a milder Conny  stick or to a FULL flavored Nicaraguan Maduro.

I am a fan of the 1926 Padron, but have yet to have the pleasure of the 40th anniversary version.  Thank you for your input as it is appreciated. 

• Options

Nolagizmo said:
    I personally am a huge fan of the $10 price point sticks. I tend to keep myself on budget with those they taste great burn great and work out great... and if they don't behave, I don't buy them again.

Thank You Nolagizmo.  That is basically the philosophy I have been subscribed to, As I agree that I can enjoy quite a few sticks, even less than $10.     I'm just curious about the sticks that I mentioned, as well as others that I haven't tried, which is primarily because of the price point vs my budget.
  • Options

Usaf06 said:
    Usaf06 said:

Agreed!

Thank you both.   I did actually enjoy the Davidoff Nicaragua Robusto! I have two resting in my humi as I write this.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigars have to be pretty special to drop over $20 a stick. I would personally consider brands you know you already like and then try their highest-end offerings. I would have a hard time picking up a $25 Davidoff having never tried something similar at a lower price point, know what I mean? 

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Echambers said:
    My perspective is this: price is often not the best proxy for quality so (and no offense intended at all) to establish an arbitrary threshold for quality (i.e. $20/cigars) seems a little silly.

I bet if you asked the question a little differently, "What under $10 cigars will knock my socks off?" and worked your way through the resulting list you'd forget all about the "$20 cigar."

Does this mean that the conversation is irrelevant? Of course not, but such a conversation necessitates another conversation about the nature of quality versus rarity and even , "what makes a cigar quality?"

My sense is that the rarity factor contributes more to the price than any kind of "quality" factor.  

Thank you Echambers for your points, I know what you mean as I often share that line of thinking.  I think you mistake my intensions with the question.

I have a lot of experience with sticks in the $4 - $12 range, and I've already discovered some GREAT ones (in my opinion) in that range.  My question is not to dismiss the great cigars that are below $20, but rather to explore if there are any cigars around $20 that are worth it.  

As the sticks I mentioned below were in the $20 price point and that's where the idea came from. 

God of Fire Series B (Robusto SG) by Arturo Fuente

Davidoff Maduro (Robusto),

Ashton ESG - 21 Yr Salute (Robusto) 

Couple that with my lack of experience with sticks in this price range, and that’s why I phrased the question that way.

Your point of Quality VS Rarity is also quite valid.  This is not that discussion.  

Rarity should and will always play a part of a cigar’s price. That is understandable, but if the product isn't a good smoking experience I don't care how rare it is.  Yes many big priced cigars are a product of marketing and branding as well.   That is why I ask this question to see what sticks people think are actually worth the $20 price.

The answer maybe no sticks are worth that price, I don’t know, but I believe it is a question worth exploring.

Thank you for your response, as all intelligent thoughts are welcome.  I believe we should revisit and explore the Quality vs Rarity in another discussion..

• Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, you ok @jgibv? I actually haven't tried the Escurio yet either. I agree with most here, Davidoff Nicaragua is a great cigar. I really like the La Aroma de Cuba Noblesse but that's under $20 a bit.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20 said:
    Lol, you ok @jgibv? I actually haven't tried the Escurio yet either. I agree with most here, Davidoff Nicaragua is a great cigar. I really like the La Aroma de Cuba Noblesse but that's under $20 a bit.
    lol, yeah just losing my mind a bit.  
    been a long & tiring week; staring at computer too long as well. 

need the weekend to get here so i can kick back with a few beers and a stogie, then all will be right with the universe.   

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
     I believe the only twenty plus dollar cigar that I felt I must keep in my humidor is the Ashton ESG. Tweny year.   All others I've had at that price point were good cigars that were not so more superior to many ten or twelve dollar cigars I've smoked. 
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I would say the Liga Privada #9 lancero is you can find it. I know it isn't 20+ but it is pretty close. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CigarJedi said:
    jarubla said:

-Jay
    Jay,  Hello and thanks for the welcome.    The name for me actually came about because when submitting a user name, I was a bit stumped .. So I looked at my desk for an idea and I had an image of Yoda smoking a Padron 1926.  So that's where the Cigar Jedi name came from.     After reading your post, I took a quick peek at youtube and saw the Cigar Jedi you were referring to.   Rats.  Here I was thinking I was being clever yet the name is already well established on youtube.  

I wish I knew about that before I created this name here because I don't want to confuse anyone.  I'm glad you did mentioned the channel though as I'm always looking for Cigar Info, and it didn't even occur to me to check Youtube at all.  You just opened up a whole new way of exploring cigars for me.  Thanks, Jay!

Welcome to the forums @CigarJedi . If you wish to alter your screen name (not that you should necessarily but,) you may be able to contact @krebsie with a PM. He's an admin for the site and may be able to alter your screen name if you wish to.    
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    This would be my pick in the diadema size. I think I spelled that right.

• Options
    I hade the puro d oro two weeks ago and that was excellent as well
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Much like @Usaf06 said, I think the Davidoff Puro d´Oro is a fantastic cigar well worth the money (the Davidoff Nicaragua, on the other hand, I found quite underwhelming). La Palina Goldie also comes to mind - when I first smoked one of those, the main thought that stuck with me was ¨If I was making the kind of money where buying boxes of $20 cigars were normal, this is a cigar that I think is worth the money.¨
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the Eye of the Shark's I ordered
  • Options
    Damn Sherm, they are suppose to be $12 a stick retail
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Damn Sherm, they are suppose to be $12 a stick retail
    Lots of price gouging going on out there.  I didn't pay too much more, but tax and shipping bumps it up.  I have seen singles for $35
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

LA AURORA PREFERIDOS MADURO!

They can be found cheaper than $20 per but retail B&M that is about the going rate. If you keep your eyes peeled on the boogyman site they can be had for $5-ish sometimes and to me that is the best deal on the net. PERIOD! 

I generally prefer Nicaraguan cigars but this is my exception. If I had to choose one cigar to smoke for the rest of time I'd choose the Preferidos Maduro as it fits the bill for me for overall satisfaction. I just recently ran out and it is the one cigar I always enjoyed smoking and never wanted to end. In fact, I'd probably trade all my cigars in if I could get a even number of Perferidos Maduros as a trade. Yeah, I like them like that!

Happy smoking!