temp or RH

dirtdudedirtdude AZPosts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody have any thoughts on what would make a cigar swell up and virtually explode. My storage is a wineador at 60 degrees and 70% rh, the ambient conditions in arizona at the time was 82 degrees and 25% rh. I am thinking I need to let the cigar rest at ambient temp for a while but what are your thoughts?
A little dirt never hurt

Comments

• jgibvjgibv John G.Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
     the ambient conditions in arizona at the time was 82 degrees and 25% rh. I am thinking I need to let the cigar rest at ambient temp for a while but what are your thoughts?
    yep; let the cigar sit out for a while before you smoke it....that *should* solve the problem. 

try to do a search for "dry boxing", that should reveal some threads and more info on the subject.   

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• dirtdudedirtdude AZPosts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    dirtdude said:
     the ambient conditions in arizona at the time was 82 degrees and 25% rh. I am thinking I need to let the cigar rest at ambient temp for a while but what are your thoughts?
    yep; let the cigar sit out for a while before you smoke it....that *should* solve the problem. 

try to do a search for "dry boxing", that should reveal some threads and more info on the subject.   

will do, thanks
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 FloridaPosts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep my temp in my winedors around 65-67 degrees. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Lake Zurich IlPosts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could also be user error and have nothing to do with the cigar itself.  Smoking to fast can cause a cigar to blow up too.  Was the cigar heating up as you smoked it?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Usaf06 said:
    I keep my temp in my winedors around 65-67 degrees. 
    I wish the temp was adjustable on mine but it holds a steady 60, I might be wrong but I figured a steady temp would be better than the 50-85 swings we get now.
    A little dirt never hurt

It could also be user error and have nothing to do with the cigar itself.  Smoking to fast can cause a cigar to blow up too.  Was the cigar heating up as you smoked it?
    that could very well be the case, it was a friend that was visiting who doesn't normally smoke cigars, I dont remember what I was smoking that night but it kind of blew a a bit also. I have been letting them adjust to temp since with no problem
    A little dirt never hurt